sharetrader
Page 686 of 899 FirstFirst ... 186586636676682683684685686687688689690696736786 ... LastLast
Results 6,851 to 6,860 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I'm expecting the Australian Govt will kick in with their very generous wage subsidy support program again. Its a decent scheme and although Australian trading volume is only approx half of N.Z. trading volume the Covid wage subsidy paid in Australia was very close to the same amount the N.Z. Govt paid HLG last year. In other words the Covid subsidies there are worth approx twice the run rate they are here and the Australian Govt will be paying subsidies to support our final FY21 dividend due in December.
    Shouldn’t wish for more lockdowns but HLG seem more profitable during lockdowns than normal times (esp in Oz)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Just noticed this line in John Ryders latest newsletter:

After more than a year of on and off again lockdowns, the head of Levi Strauss said that a quarter of their customers no longer fitted into their jeans.
    If fits to some earlier discussions and might well be good for HLG and some other clothing retailers (like WHS, KMD).

I started as well to buy now trousers a size smaller after the lockdowns ... I assume that's what Levi Strauss was referring to :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

... have power to make you great

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

If fits to some earlier discussions and might well be good for HLG and some other clothing retailers (like WHS, KMD).

I started as well to buy now trousers a size smaller after the lockdowns ... I assume that's what Levi Strauss was referring to :
    I took it as overeating and under-active therefore causing a slight swelling to the legs and waist... perhaps some gone skinny because they lost their job/income and could not afford to eat. Come now BP I know that you are not in the second group

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

WHS have a range of clothing for the average solidly build Kiwi person whereas HLG seem to think their target market all has a health body mass index....Go figure ?
    HLG simply do not cater for big dog's. Ask me how I know...
    I would think WHS will benefit the most.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

I don’t think government subsidies to businesses will re-eventuate in Australia this time unless things spiral out of control (the delayed NSW lockdown looks like it is finally working). The Morrison government has completely abdicated control to the states, and they don’t seem interested in wage subsidies to businesses - the Sydney “lockdown” still allows retail shops to be open and for people to work and visit retail shops, as crazy as that seems.

Instead they are offering “relief payments” to individuals who are unable to work, and who have exhausted all other income sources including leave entitlements.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...01-p585xh.html

So I guess Glassons stores will still be paying their full time employees as normal (probably have some stores open with skeleton crew, and any casual/part time staff without guaranteed hours will probably not be getting paid (except with holiday pay) and applying for the relief payments.

the usual duplicate ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 05-07-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    I took it as overeating and under-active therefore causing a slight swelling to the legs and waist... perhaps some gone skinny because they lost their job/income and could not afford to eat. Come now BP I know that you are not in the second group
    Well, maybe there was a third group using the additional free time they won due to less commuting for doing more exercise : But admittedly - I used to work from home already before the lockdowns, but I did increase my exercise regime and reduced my food intake. Happy to report - it does work.

However - just to bring this discussion back to HLG. Sadly - I didn't buy my new jeans with HLG. They don't sell the size I need (my legs are apparently shorter than the NZ standard HLG caters for). A mail order with Just Jeans was all I needed, though. Something HLG could learn from ....
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 05-07-2021 at 11:08 AM.
    ----

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    WHS have a range of clothing for the average solidly build Kiwi person whereas HLG seem to think their target market all has a health body mass index....Go figure ?
    HLG simply do not cater for big dog's. Ask me how I know...
    I would think WHS will benefit the most.
    This reminds me of an old toilet cubicle poem, that I can slightly adapt for publishing here:

"This jean's rack is no bloody good at all"
    "All the legs are too long, and the seats are too small."
    To which I must add the obvious retort
    "My arse is too big and my legs are too short!"

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Retail stats ex OZ (ABS) for May

the seasonally adjusted : Clothing retailing fell 0.4%

Still holding up - good stuff
    Last edited by winner69; 06-07-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Clothing sector sales in Australia now ahead of pre-covid levels

Took a while to pick up (relative to rest of other sectors) but roaring ahead now

Glassons must be creaming it - strong market buoyed by share gains
    Attached Images Attached Images