sharetrader
Page 78 of 899 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178578 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boysy View Post
    Winner69 the examples you have given are mere shells of what they once were. I just cannot fathom why buyers would choose HLG when other options are better in every respect (price,style,sizing etc). Its simply disingeniuos to try and write off competition in light of their intent to aggressively expand into HLG patch. I think sometimes there is a serious disconnect between what companies investors invest in and those products those companies use. With HLG being a divi play any competition will start to impact margins and level of profitability i wouldn't be so sure the divi yield can be kept up, but hey when it starts going down that higher and higher divi yield will be mentioned time and time again (not the ongoing likelihood of maintaining this divi ).

Who on this thread would continue to shop at HLG instead of the competitors (assuming they had the option to shop at H&M, Zara etc) and what would be the rational this is an important question ?
    Just pointing out that many NZ retailers have a track record of adapting to market 'shocks'/ changes .....and probably saying that incumbents won't roll over and die as you (?) and some others seem to be saying.

Probably not part of Hallensteins target market these days but did get a few decent sweatshirts from them last year but would go back again.

Boysy - If you were the CEO of HLG what would you be doing at the moment (and diversifying into selling Trilogy stuff not an option)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

HLG are renowned for the scarcity of their announcements so we won't know how successfully they have countered this invasion of global behemoths for some time

But I be watching the squiggly lines on the chart closely - just in case market sentiment turns sour

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Jaa the big profit in retail fashion is selling something else.You go into the store to buy a pair of trousers,the gifted sales person has just the shirt to go with them,and the jersey and jacket,and with that jacket another shirt goes well with the trousers you are already wearing,giving you really three outfits.And by the way I will sign you up for our loyalty scheme.And here is a Welcome to our store $25 gift voucher you can use at any of our stores next time you require any clothing.Yes you can use it online too.!
    Any new shop on the block is going to find it very difficult to attract gifted salespeople away from their existing employer.
    I've never had anything like this level of sales experience at HLG. Staff are friendly enough but they're pretty much till jockeys.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    I've never had anything like this level of sales experience at HLG. Staff are friendly enough but they're pretty much till jockeys.
    You are so correct.
    Very sorry I got mixed up with Ballantynes.!!...lol.
    Last edited by percy; 08-10-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Talking of service (and relevant to Hector's till jockey statement) here is a view from head honcho of Sussan on these global intruders

"They're also more of checkout places rather than information and service places," she said. "So they do have potentially a lot of razzmatazz going on instore, but the actual connection, personal connection to the customer, isn't what it should be, in my mind."

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...06-137zq6.html
    Last edited by winner69; 08-10-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Just pointing out that many NZ retailers have a track record of adapting to market 'shocks'/ changes .....and probably saying that incumbents won't roll over and die as you (?) and some others seem to be saying.

Probably not part of Hallensteins target market these days but did get a few decent sweatshirts from them last year but would go back again.

Boysy - If you were the CEO of HLG what would you be doing at the moment (and diversifying into selling Trilogy stuff not an option)
    Lower the divi, shore up the balance sheet, focus on the higher margin offerings ie stop trying to flog off $10 tee shirts no one wants. I maintain HLG cannot be everthing to everyone whereas the likes of large multinationals can. Picking the low hanging fruit is long gone in this sector and the clear casualties will be the just jeans, HLG, pumpkin patch and T&Ts of this world. HLG has faired better than the others due to managements ability no doubt about that but i really struggle to see how HLG will grow revenue and retain margins in the current environment.

Back to the vote - who shops at HLG and would they continue to do so if they had the option at shopping at one of the large multinationals ?
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils

Back to the vote - who shops at HLG and would they continue to do so if they had the option at shopping at one of the large multinationals ?
    Current score is 1 who shops at Halensteins or liely to do so again

C'mon we need more votes - as Goff would say

Lower the divi, shore up the balance sheet, focus on the higher margin offerings ie stop trying to flog off $10 tee shirts no one wants. I maintain HLG cannot be everthing to everyone whereas the likes of large multinationals can. Picking the low hanging fruit is long gone in this sector and the clear casualties will be the just jeans, HLG, pumpkin patch and T&Ts of this world. HLG has faired better than the others due to managements ability no doubt about that but i really struggle to see how HLG will grow revenue and retain margins in the current environment.

HLG have a strong Balance Sheet. No debt and relatively low stock levels.

As I said before Tim (biggest shareholder) doesn't seem to have any desire to be a real growth company - but have kept reinvesting in the business to keep it fresh and relevant .....keeping it moving forward steadily .......with aim to maintaing a high return n capital and good sized dividends.

Bit old fashioned eh - in this world where growth growth and even more growth is desired
    Last edited by winner69; 08-10-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Wonder how Cotton On are going in NZ

They are gobbling away @ market share

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Wonder how Cotton On are going in NZ