sharetrader
Page 781 of 899 FirstFirst ... 281681731771777778779780781782783784785791831881 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,810 of 8983
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Must be an election coming up. I wouldn't rely on that longer term.

Time will tell. I think that HLG are weathering the Covid storm pretty well. Highest profit ever last year. They should do okay this year and then go on to bigger and better things.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-01-2022 at 09:37 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Time will tell. I think that HLG are weathering the Covid storm pretty well. Highest profit ever last year. They should do okay this year and then go on to bigger and better things.
    You mean - at some stage HLG (the orange line) might even outperform WHS (the blue line) :

Hey - this would be amazing, wouldn't it?

WHS-HLG.JPG

... and yes, I realize that there have been periods in the past where it was the other way around ... but at the moment it is not HLG making the best out of the amazing retail opportunities.

On the bright side ... coming from a lower base should make it easier for them to improve.

On the not so bright side ... there was yesterday an article in the herald stating that every Kiwi dumps in average 44kg of textiles per year (this includes commercial textiles like uniforms / bed ware / linen / towels).

New Zealand sends about 100,000 tonnes of clothing to landfill each year – about 44kg per person.

Textiles create about three times their weight in CO2 in landfill – so while they make up 5-6 per cent of landfill, they produce about 30 per cent of the carbon impacts.
    From: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/brand-ins...JHCUXTGP2I4GQ/
    (might be paywalled - not sure)

Maybe there is an opportunity for all of us to buy and dump in future less textiles - this would be good for the environment, even if it might be bad for both HLG and WHS.

They might however start selling more durable and repairable products and encourage customers to wear / use them longer.

Opportunities ... opportunities ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 06-01-2022 at 08:26 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

They might however start selling more durable and repairable products and encourage customers to wear / use them longer.

Opportunities ... opportunities ...
    Op shops are probably Glassons biggest competitor

Friend who works (volunteer) says she doesn't see much Glassons stuff being 'donated' .... lots of other fashion labels though
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Ill ask a designer in sydney whats she thinks of that one..

looks like HLG will trade in a range 6.80 - 7.50

that should be very profitable..

DFABPCLMB

On the not so bright side ... there was yesterday an article in the herald stating that every Kiwi dumps in average 44kg of textiles per year (this includes commercial textiles like uniforms / bed ware / linen / towels).

From: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/brand-ins...JHCUXTGP2I4GQ/
    (might be paywalled - not sure)
    The article is not paywalled and is an example of why I won't pay for what I think is sub-standard journalism. Last time I checked NZ passed 2.7m population some time in the late 1960s. 100,000 tonnes divided by 44kgs per person puts our population at 2.27m. Maybe they got confused over wet versus dry or laden versus unladen.....either way it's pretty sloppy and I don't believe the 44kgs for a second. I wonder how they came up with 100,000 tonnes...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    The article is not paywalled and is an example of why I won't pay for what I think is sub-standard journalism. Last time I checked NZ passed 2.7m population some time in the late 1960s. 100,000 tonnes divided by 44kgs per person puts our population at 2.27m. Maybe they got confused over wet versus dry or laden versus unladen.....either way it's pretty sloppy and I don't believe the 44kgs for a second. I wonder how they came up with 100,000 tonnes...?
    Well spotted. The 100,000 tonnes don't match the current number of Kiwis and 44kg per head. Something is wrong.

However - if you do just a minimum in research you might find that the 44 kg seems to be the right order of magnitude. I trust that your free media never make a mistake, don't they?

Anyway - the following article form the spinoff talks about 380,000 tonnes imported every year into NZ of which more than half are assumed to go into the landfill ... well, I assume and hope after they have been worn).

Every year here in New Zealand, we import over 380,000 tonnes of textile products, with well over half that amount ending up in landfill. In addition to greenhouse gas emissions from decomposing textiles, the synthetic and blended clothing which now makes up the bulk of what the world wears generates huge amounts of plastic pollution.
    https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/12-...-from-landfill
    ----

Permanent Newbie

Well spotted. The 100,000 tonnes don't match the current number of Kiwis and 44kg per head. Something is wrong.

However - if you do just a minimum in research you might find that the 44 kg seems to be the right order of magnitude. I trust that your free media never make a mistake, don't they?

Anyway - the following article form the spinoff talks about 380,000 tonnes imported every year into NZ of which more than half are assumed to go into the landfill ... well, I assume and hope after they have been worn).

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/12-...-from-landfill
    Should I keep paying my herald subscription then? rather than getting my news free from the internet and social media pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Should I keep paying my herald subscription then? rather than getting my news free from the internet and social media pages.
    Probably not the right discussion on this thread. In general I'd say either you are paying for the journalist or somebody else does ... and personally I prefer if I have at least some of the journalists paid by me (and working towards my objectives) than have just "free" media which are really paid by people with different objectives than mine.

So - not sure whether the Herald is worthwhile your (or mine) subscription fees ( I sometimes wonder as well), but I think we both should still financially support good local journalism. Use it and pay for it or lose it. I prefer to keep some independent journalism instead of consuming Fox lies & Co funded by people who clearly don't have our interest at heart.
    ----

You mean - at some stage HLG (the orange line) might even outperform WHS (the blue line) :

Hey - this would be amazing, wouldn't it?

WHS-HLG.JPG

... and yes, I realize that there have been periods in the past where it was the other way around ... but at the moment it is not HLG making the best out of the amazing retail opportunities.

Yawn - using a selective time frame to chart a favorable outcome for one stock vs another? Is that how you invest?

Go back 5 years and HLG outperformed WHS 123% vs 43%

Go back to March 2020 and HLG outperformed WHS 213% vs 99%

Go back 10 years and HLG outperformed WHS 91% vs 33%

We know which one to invest in for sustainable & long term performance.
    Last edited by Balance; 06-01-2022 at 10:13 AM.