sharetrader
Page 95 of 899 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195595 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Posted 4.55 p.m. yesterday. Gosh that was quick, what next ?
    Maybe $5.50-$6.00 long term, maybe 3.16-3.20 short term. If you have look at 10 year chart it appears to be in 3-4 year cycles, and it looks like we are entering a new up cycle. With all this talk of this seasons sales predicted up 10% from last year, who knows where it will go with the end of January update. What do you think percy, $6 buy end of next year?
    Last edited by see weed; 21-12-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Palms Mall quiet this morning. Glassons and HB all but empty. Kathmandu same.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    Palms Mall quiet this morning. Glassons and HB all but empty. Kathmandu same.
    That might be the one they closed recently. From memory they closed one or two and opened 2 or 3 new ones.

Advanced Member

Retail pressures unlikely to ease in new year: experts

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...w-year-experts

'The arrival of big brands like Zara and H&M into Australia had a "seismic impact" on the country's more established retailers and the same could be expected in New Zealand as those brands widened their reach.' read between the lines.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by boysy View Post

'The arrival of big brands like Zara and H&M into Australia had a "seismic impact" on the country's more established retailers and the same could be expected in New Zealand as those brands widened their reach.' read between the lines.
    Buffett "the best competitive advantage is when you have no competitors"
    I just can't see how you do that in retail. It's too hard to protect your own patch.
    There will always be competition wether Zara is the competition or Glassons is the competition but each will have their place neither will ever have a sole trading moat.
    h2

As I am sure you will have noticed HLG have been meeting this new competition head on with very modern refurbishments of adjacent stores and the net result is HLG store sales at those stores has increased.
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-12-2016 at 02:30 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Sales up but at what cost having 40% off everything in store when I walked past doesn't bode well for those margins. still think holders here are seriously underestimating impact new players are having on HLG.

Sales up but at what cost having 40% off everything in store when I walked past doesn't bode well for those margins. still think holders here are seriously underestimating impact new players are having on HLG.
    Not in the current reporting window. H & M second NZ store will open in Christchurch next year around September....so slow ramp up...Top Shop will have its third NZ store at that time in Christchurch. Look how long in has taken them to establish three stores one each in the main cities ...

Super Investor

Then come to Australia. Where I shop the novelty aspect of Zara has dissipated. Both shops have customers Zara caters for the 6'2" models and is expensive. Glassons is more generous with their portions and more reasonable with their prices. Both operate in the same patch neither have sale signs on their windows.
    h2

Advanced Member

My bet the stores that are being opened in the major centres are drawing punters from HLG highest turnover stores in the country. Internally this would be easy to quantify the impact but why would HLG provide this to market.

people are flocking far and wide to the likes of ZAra and H&M my bet they are disrupting HLG usual catchment area. It's not my cup of tea to drive right across Auckland to a particular store but people are doing it. As others have pointed out they have had fairly static earnings on a EPS basis so perhaps they will continue to stay on if not ahead of the curve.