sharetrader
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Share Collector

Wild ride for Benitec (BLT) today - started the day at 10.5cps, ran to 30.5cps and finished the day at 18cps... biotech can certainly have its moments of excitement - pity they are just so few and far between!

Default Biotech review

Valutech provides an ongoing and rigorous (to the point of being totally brutal) review on many ASX listed biotechs. Despite the review's rather conservative tone, it does act as a good counterbalance to the unrestraint biotech hype that crops up now and then. In contrasting to other free biotech review services available on the 'net, I must say that Valutech has been instrumental in cautioning me against buying into a few biotech duds and those cautions have proven true in due course. But I doubt that all readers will appreciate the conspicuous lack of cheery note in its review. I had difficulty too initially.

And another breakthrough by biotech microcap Anadis (ANX), share price up 61%

Might be a fix for avian flu?

Milk-based Anti-influenza virus (flu) antibodies to provide
    immediate immunity

Wednesday 9 January 2008

Melbourne, Australia. Anadis Limited (ASX:ANX; OTC: ANDIY), today announced major progress in its anti-flu virus antibody program. The milk- derived anti-flu virus antibodies are all-natural and will provide immediate-acting immune enhancement once deposited topically on mucosal surfaces that come in contact with the influenza virus. Results from human trials are anticipated within 18 months.

Addressing both seasonal and avian influenza (bird flu) virus strains, Anadis plans to introduce products using these antibodies (Flubodies) into the market within 2-3 years. This decision follows several successful animal trials with mice, conducted by Anadis and an internationally-recognized influenza research group at the University of Melbourne led by Professor Lorena Brown, using recognized pathways for development of anti-avian flu virus treatments.

The dairy derived anti-flu virus antibody significantly decreased disease mortality and were significantly interrupting the disease process after challenges with lethal doses of virus. Anadis prototype milk-derived hyperimmune antibody preparation ("flubody") improved the survival rate of infected mice (exposed to lethal flu) from 0% in non-treated mice to up to 60% in treated mice. In other trials, it was shown that the progress of disease could be delayed for days with a single application of the prototype formulation.

“This series of new preclinical tests gives us the comfort level to accelerate and the commercialization of our revolutionary Flubody approach for halting viral spread, utilizing our patent pending antibody formulations to provide immediate acting immunity” ,” said Dr Zeil Rosenberg, Anadis CEO. “Antibody and other protein-based solutions represent the next generation in the fight against influenza and Anadis, with its rapid development effort and extremely low manufacturing cost for harvesting antibodies, is wellpositioned to benefit from this trend.”

Influenza affects 15-60 million people in the United States each year, causing an estimated 44,000 deaths and 186,000 hospitalizations annually. Pandemic influenza has occurred three times over the last century.

The 1918 outbreak alone killed more than 40 million people worldwide. Avian influenza (bird flu) is a lethal influenza strain that has created worldwide concern because its infection can be transferred among humans. The mortality rate among humans exceeds 50%.
    Dr. Oren Fuerst, VP of Business Development of the company said: "Benefiting from our years of experience in the harvesting of polyclonal antibodies and other fractions of dairy derived immune milk (colostrum), we aim to be first to market with an effective and patented formulation for both the routine and avian flu markets. With our unique approach, we plan to become world leaders in the influenza market that today already exceeds $5 billion worldwide.”

For further information contact:
    Dr. Zeil Rosenberg - CEO
    Email: zeil.r@anadis.com.au
    Tel: +1 201 750 4799
    Arie Nudel – Investor Relations
    Email: arie.n@anadis.com.au
    Tel: +61 3 9358 6388
    Anadis Limited (ASX: ANX; OTC: ANDIY) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on antigen-primed,
    dairy-derived health products. Anadis’ proprietary, rapid manufacturing technology has enabled it to
    develop a product pipeline of polyclonal antibody-based solutions to a range of important infectious and
    immune-mediated diseases. The all-natural colostrum-derived platform, and its regulatory classification as
    GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) when administered orally, allows for a significantly shorter timeframe
    from bench to market compared with typical biotechnology products. The platform also possesses
    dramatically lower manufacturing costs and higher scalability compared to typical antibody-based
    solutions. Anadis is addressing existing market opportunities sized in excess of US$30 billion. Leveraging
    a technology platform that has been carefully developed over a decade, the company expects to become the
    leading provider of proprietary polyclonal antibody-based solutions worldwide.
    Respect
    TOMMY

Disclosure: trading in and out of many stocks, too many to update the list at the moment...

DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING I SAY OR IMPLY... USE YOUR OWN BRAIN AND RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING ANY INVESTMENT DECISIONS.

Hi,

Anyone still follows GTG? Cash deposit 15M - about 4 cents per share. Share price 10 cents. Anything wrong?

xman

Advanced Member

Thought it might be a good idea to revive this thread, as an adjunct to the separate postings under the individual headings of ACL, ACR, CXS, BTA, etc. As I have said elsewhere, for those new to this sector a useful starting point is www.Valutech.com.au

One of the ones in which I have recently taken a position is CBB. Check out their story. It moved up a fgurther 11% yesterday, on release of a "good news" story from Singapore. There are virtually no sellers but plenty of would-be buyers for the stock.

Veteran novice

Quite a while since the biotech sector received much attention here - PXS excepted. I've taken a new interest in the sector ever since it appeared that I may be bought out of CST. That may not happen but meanwhile here's a general overview from FN Arena which may provoke some discussion. I must admit that I have great difficulty in sorting the "sheep from the goats" in this sector!

"Return Of The Living Dead (Part II)

By Rudi Filapek-Vandyck, Editor FNArena

Two weeks ago at the end of May, I wrote a story about life sciences companies in Australia, predicting in a few years from now, investors would look back and conclude the sector had offered some great buying opportunities in 2011. Judging from the emails and responses otherwise received since, there are quite a few investors and other experts in the market who support this assessment.

Among them is sector analyst Stuart Roberts at Southern Cross Equities (soon to be renamed Bell Potter) whom I quoted in my story. But Roberts is far from the only one. His peers at RBS Morgans, Scott Power and Tanya Solomon, also believe the sector is experiencing somewhat of a revival as previous high risk ventures are progressing towards more mature businesses.

Within this context, I thought a Take Two on the subject would be opportune.

Last week, Power and Solomon lined up their best ideas for investors on short-term and medium-term horizons.

Best ideas for the short term include:

QRXPharma ((QRX)) - reason: study 022 results due shortly;
    Impedimed ((IPD)) - reason: US insurance coverage;
    Alchemia ((ACL)) - reason: drug approval due;
    Phylogica ((PYC)) - reason: on target for more big pharma collaborations;
    Tissue Therapies ((TIS)) - reason: clinical results due July.

On a Medium term horizon, the two RBS Morgans analysts highlight the following ideas:

Sunshine Heart ((SHC)) - reason: feasibility data in October;
    Biota ((BTA)) - reason: HRV update, RSV licensing, and LANI trial starting;
    Reva Medical ((RVA)) reason: starting safety trial in 4QCY11;
    Universal Biosensors ((UBI)) reason: pending launch of product in US;
    Genetic Technologies ((GTG)) reason: roll out Breast Cancer diagnostic in US; profitability within sight;
    Pharmaxis ((PXS)) - reason: company will sort out its European regulatory issues;
    Neuron - funding has been sorted - clinical trial results; and
    Phosphagenics ((POH)) - reason: launch of consumer product range into India and SE Asia.

As far as Longer Term plays in the sector are concerned, Power and Solomons nominated Acrux ((ACR)) with the advice "just buy it".

The latter nomination in particular caught my attention as analysts at Morningstar recently also issued a glowing research update on the company. The analysts speculate that now Sweden has granted marketing rights for the company's estradiol spray for treating menopause symptoms, soon Big Pharma partners will start knocking on Acrux's doors, if they haven't already. In addition, Acrux's pain product for dogs has now also received marketing approval from the European regulatory advisory.

The company paid out an extra $100m in dividends already, which will lift this year's dividend yield above 15%. On current forecasts this is anticipated to decline to circa 8.5% in FY12; still nearly double the broad market rate of a little under 5%. Unfortunately for investors in Australia, Morningstar doesn't think Acrux will stay independent for much longer. Eli Lilly is seen as a prime candidate to launch a take-over offer to shareholders in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, points out Morningstar, all investment gains booked from owning Acrux shares are tax-free due to the company's Pooled Development Fund status.

In addition to all of the above, I did receive emails from readers about why their personal favourites in the sector had not been mentioned in my previous story. The reason is simple: I lined up my personal favourites and that, by definition, implies that only a limited number of names can be included. For those readers who missed out on the previous story, I reiterated my view that Cochlear ((COH)) is a wonderful company but constantly overpriced. My personal favourites remain: QRXPharma, Phosphagenics, Anteo Diagnostics ((ADO)), Alchemia and Mesoblast ((MSB)).

To top it all off, I have dug up a story I wrote on the sector in September 2004, titled "Why Biotechs Sleep With The devil". Re-reading it all again nearly seven years later I had to conclude most of the content had become outdated. No surprise here. I have lined up some selected quotes from the story which I believe remain relevant for anyone interested in following and investing in the sector.

Why Do Biotechs Sleep With The Devil? (originally September 2004, selected quotes)

"Pharmaceutical companies and biotechs sign around 500 deals per annum (with a value of $25 million or more). To put that figure in context: there are an estimated 5000 biotech companies worldwide."

"Biotech companies, in general, are pretty much the complete opposite from big pharma; they are highly research driven, focused, pushing boundaries and often characterised by a sense of world changing dynamics. So why do biotechs want to team up with big pharma? The answer is biotechs don’t really want to do business with big pharma at all. It’s just that they have to. As you would have guessed yourself, the main driver is cold hard cash."

"A survey by Ernst & Young in 2002 confirmed that the US is the centre of the world as far as biotech is concerned, employing 74% of all employees in the sector, spending 70% of all research and development, its companies representing 85% of total market capitalisation and with 72% of all products being sold in the US market."

"Developing a new drug costs on average US$330m, but not every technological discovery ends up at our local pharmacist. Corrected for failures, standard development costs run close to US$1bn and that’s simply too much for your average biotech. Even if it wasn’t, what about marketing and distribution?"

"Doing deals with big pharma is not an easy process. The average pharma-biotech deal takes 18 months of negotiations, involves 13 management meetings and talking to 26 pharma employees. From the moment an agreement has been reached, it still takes 40 weeks to finalise."

"Big pharma is predominantly interested in products that can generate at least US$1bn in global sales. More is preferred."

"The reasons why pharma-biotech deals don’t work out: 40% is due to poorer or slower results than anticipated, 24% is because of differences in cultures, 28% because of disruptions in management, 27% related to poor commitment, 26% due to poor alliance leadership, 26% because of poor communication and only 20% because of the failure of the technology or its trials."

In a last minute announcement, Power and Solomon reported on Monday morning: "A quick chat with Biota on Friday suggests - steady progress is being made across its portfolio - it looks cheap - take a 12 month view and this stock will be much closer to our price target of $1.99." (RBS Morgans thinks Mesoblast is now overvalued).

Subscribers interested in reading the first instalment "Return Of The Living Dead", 30th May 2011 can click here (or see Rudi's Views on the website).

(The above story was written and published in the form of an email to paying subscribers on Tuesday, 14th June, 2011.)"

With ANP being hot property recently over on HC -thought a general chat re biotechs would be good.

MacD - did you look into/invest in any of the companies mentioned above? If so hows it panning out - seems to be a sector for the very patient and high risk high reward.

Veteran novice

No, I was scared off by my lack of knowledge of the sector - remember Warren Buffett's caution about investing in sectors you don't understand!

I was duly bought out of CST - by Austrian (or Swiss?) company Quiagen. Not for a great price but enough to give me a reasonable profit. Probably count myself lucky in the circumstances of today's market. Flirted with the idea of buying a few Starpharma - but didn't and I see they are in a trading halt currently pending a capital raising. So probably missed a bullet there!

Think I'll continue to give pharma stocks a miss.

Veteran novice

Seems that at least one of Rudi's pharma picks, QRX (see above), is paying off.

http://www.fnarena.com/index2.cfm?ty...5DD642D8B9C117

QRX SP up strongly today.

Advanced Member

Looking for a few biotechs to invest in . Last time i dabbled was with Acrux , that was a huge success, apart from CSL now have no exposure to sector.

Have just looked through the recent back issues of bioshares looking for ideas. I see the sector has had a fairly lean time for the past couple of years, although a few of the companies appear to be progressing nicely (although slowly) through trials.
    Am tempted to throw a few K at around ten of them , with the theory that only need one or two to come good to make a return.
    Looking for some pointers as to the best of the bunch , any ideas?