sharetrader
Page 52 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tricha View Post
    Can not get an answer, can you try again Huang, thanks.
    Have a read of this Tricha, this is a version from Commsec, but it will be quite easy to understand.

https://orders.comsec.com.au/ClientA...SSBrochure.pdf

Also take note there is also Short Term selling too, which works similar but different rules. Can also explain a few things at times with certain stocks behaviours.

Hope this helps.

Wink Shale gas cost next 12 months .....

From the Rottnest talks and the LKO deal , the Beach is prepared to spend Cooper Basin $30m + LKO $10m =$40m over the next 12 months , so guess it is a very serious biz.,.

Now , would some US player be attracted , and it could be handed on a plate ?

Euroz are valuing the play in the Cooper alone at possible $500m value . No one has tried to put a number on LKO JV , BPT would not be playing unless it was serious stuff.

Hold BPT

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by tricha View Post
    So on a bad day on the market, Friday we had a good turnover on Beach and a price increase, does this mean people who sold short, had to buy on this day to make due a shortfall.

?? I do not understand short selling, can someone edify me please.
    I'm not sure if you're pulling our legs here, tricha but here's my potted version of my understanding of short selling.

Non-holders of a stock who, for whatever reason, anticipate a fall in the SP are able to borrow stock from a holder, for a fee, and sell that stock. These sales must be disclosed as "short sales".

Naturally, they have to buy back at some stage to return the borrowed stock. These purchases are not tagged as shorts.

You might recall that the ASX banned short sales at one point during the GFC and extended the ban on financial stocks for a further period.

Controversy/discussion continues on the ethics/propriety of short selling but that's another subject!

Cheers

And, don't forget, if the share price goes up, someone 'short' faces potentially unlimited losses....so buying stock back to close their short position is call short covering.

You will sometimes hear of short covering rallies, where shorts are scrambling, for whatever reason, to buy stock back.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Chung View Post
    And, don't forget, if the share price goes up, someone 'short' faces potentially unlimited losses....so buying stock back to close their short position is call short covering.

You will sometimes hear of short covering rallies, where shorts are scrambling, for whatever reason, to buy stock back.

Thanks guys for the "Short story", not that I'm going to do any shorting, but it makes it clear, that we have a stock that is a gambling stock based upon, all the stuff happening inside the company and on top of it we have shorters who are buying 45% on a gamble, that the price will crash, maybe I will write a letter to he chairman suggesting it's time to stop paying dividends and use the funds for a share buy back, this would put value back in the company and keep these company wreckers at bay.

I can not believe someone like Santos has not made a move yet, this company being seriously undervalued. ELYOB - Euroz are valuing the play in the Cooper alone at possible $500m value I do not even take this into my calculation.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovBLFZhQME

Veteran novice

Interestingly, the 45% short sales weren't a one-off event. No less than 64% of Friday's sales were shorts! That's a pretty big number for any company and does make me wonder what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Interestingly, the 45% short sales weren't a one-off event. No less than 64% of Friday's sales were shorts! That's a pretty big number for any company and does make me wonder what is going on.
    they believed the market futures ? DOW futures looked weak on friday
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Veteran novice

I don't think that's the reason.

A couple of other Aust companies were also in the 60% range but these were the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I don't think that's the reason.

A couple of other Aust companies were also in the 60% range but these were the exceptions.
    BPT - Presentation - Worth a read especially re there focus on Shale Gas in the Cooper Basin

http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news...E=ASX&N=177736

BPT Accelerates Cooper Basin Shale Gas Program

http://www.stocknessmonster.com/news...E=ASX&N=177737

Veteran novice

And the market shrugs.

BPT SP up half a cent.