sharetrader
Page 11 of 217 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Re: the SST article posted earlier, it is obvious that Mr Burnside failed to do his homework...

quote:Mr Burnside said he decided about a month ago to sell the 1500 NZRC shares he had held for five years because he thought the price was unlikely to go any higher.

"I sold them at $41 (each). I thought it was a bloody silly price (for anyone) to pay for them and I'll get out.

"However, since then it's gone to $44. I thought I'd done well."
    Disc: Very long-term holder who is up well over 100%
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Advanced Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up another 50 cps this morning. Going to Cairns next monday for a couple of weeks and hope to find it at 5000 cps on my return - to pay for the trip, that is.

Well! got back on friday night from the land of the Kangaroo sausage and here we are at 5,000 cps with buyers at 4,950. With a dividend due next month there must be some insider info pushing it up 200 cps from yesterday. Any guesses asa to the amount. I believe that it must be over the $2 to cause that sort of a jump.

Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by craic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Up another 50 cps this morning. Going to Cairns next monday for a couple of weeks and hope to find it at 5000 cps on my return - to pay for the trip, that is.)

Well! got back on friday night from the land of the Kangaroo sausage and here we are at 5,000 cps with buyers at 4,950. With a dividend due next month there must be some insider info pushing it up 200 cps from yesterday. Any guesses asa to the amount. I believe that it
    must be over the $2 to cause that sort of a jump.
    Paid $18 at AIA for three stubbies? That must be the dearest beer in NZ - but never mind as long as it contributes to the AIA returns.

Never mind Craic, that Special Divvy cheque is in the mail

I thought you had sold out of NZR?
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

am beginning to feel considerable empathy with mr Burnside's view that the price is unlikely to go any higher! with profits over 260%, am approaching the point that i managed to ignore at my previous target of $35, ptl.

craic, with a price of $50, a div of $2 would seem pretty unexciting and, given that it has been over $40 for 6 weeks, what is the likelihood of the div being adjusted upward during that period? i haven't a clue how boards decide these things, but given nzr's history of very good divs, it may be that board will dish out 350 cps just to keep everyone happy....

oh, what a loverly thought from behind scamper's rose-tinted specs...

Advanced Member

No P this is one I will not sell. The only "good" one I sold in recent times was Contact. I am not sure that the market price of the share has much effect on dividend which should be a percentage of profit. I am very aware that a sudden spike in share price or a sudden drop, just before a dividend announcement, usually means that the tea-lady or the accountants tea-lady caught a glimpse of the figures soon to be published and told the butcher or maybe the priest in the confessional or something like that. It could not be insider trading because that is illegal, of course. I would love to do a study on this phenomenon. It might be the path to riches untold.

Advanced Member

10 for 1 split - that should interest the peasants. 100 cps interim div same as last year even though the profit has more than doubled? Talk of investment opportunities for the rest - who are they after? I hope they keep away from that bog-hole that is NOG. Price is up 320 cps as I write with no sellers near the mark.

Scamper seems to have missed the plot...
    Why would a share price rise ~8% on the announcement of a miserable div (bla) and share split (neutral?)?

ok, so the profit jumped/ soared/ leapt, and the report's tone was positive, but...

one of the constants about nzr is its liquidity -- or lack of it -- because of the large holding by oil companies. will a split really persuade them to put bunches on the market? or will the split just mean that the existing scampers and craics will sell portions of their holdings to other scampers and craics...

The relevance of share splits completely mystifies me.

At worst you could have an impact if the share price was above a minimum marketable parcel value. Not very many punters after all buy just $300 or $500 worth of shares. The first share purchase I ever made was in Australia, I had to muster A$1,000 as a kid and pay A$50 in brokerage (it made me want to be a broker!). If a young teenager could muster $1,000 over 20 years ago I just don't see how a $50 or even $500 share price makes any difference.

Advanced Member

Halebop, you ignore the psychology of greed and the effect that numbers have on people. People on this site regularly boast about their success, based on numbers, sometimes dollars and sometimes numbers of shares. If you spend a little time thinking about it, the numbers tell you little about their real success or lack of it. They can now buy 10 shares for their dollars instead of one and that is perceived bargain. I bought into AIA in April and May of this year simply because I knew there was a split to happen. The result is a gain of almost 10% since then. I relied on the perception of others.NZR will probably be 600cps by the next dividend in six months. Nice easy way to make a dollar