sharetrader
Page 461 of 734 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465471511561 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,610 of 7332

Thread: Xro - xero

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shore View Post
    Rod should have asked Phil Luddite Vine to define "failure in the US". That would have caught him on the hop.
    I think there must be some sort of ''critical mass'' that would define that.--people want to be with a system that they know is going to still be around in 10 years time

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
    I caught most of this show, and thought that this particular part was pretty poorly handled. Sure, its good to say that you really believe in the goal, but to look like you have no contingency plan? FFS. Dangerous stuff. Glad I'm not holding.
    best of luck to those who are!

(I also though that Rod and the xero stuff really tried too hard to look like they worked in a fun/zany/wacky place. I mean, really?)
    Guess the point was to imitate those wildly successful co.s like Google (although it would be a bit hard to be coming up with a ground breaking new addition to the soft ware while being pummeled by those balls)

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    And amusing that he bought something like 4 shares (and lost his future Doc Martins)
    I think they said he lost $25 but I wonder if they counted the brokerage -- include $60 brokerage and he actually lost a big proportion of his initial stake (maybe 25 + 60 = $85 loss out of maybe a $100 investment).

Guru

He made a good point though about share holder hype not having much to do with the actual running of the company .
    Thats a good lesson

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    I think they said he lost $25 but I wonder if they counted the brokerage -- include $60 brokerage and he actually lost a big proportion of his initial stake (maybe 25 + 60 = $85 loss out of maybe a $100 investment).
    I think they referred to his SP going down 30% so it must have been made a while back,or he bought on the way down.
    If he had bought @42 and sold now ,thats almost 50% (but I guess thats nit picking,in terms of the point made)

Guru

Not for those that got caught up in it

I caught most of this show, and thought that this particular part was pretty poorly handled. Sure, its good to say that you really believe in the goal, but to look like you have no contingency plan? FFS. Dangerous stuff. Glad I'm not holding.
    Xero's plan for the US is to have the best product out there and sell it to people. There is no need for a contingency plan because there can't be one.

Any sort of contingency is going to be in refining the features and the timeline for rolling out those features and in changing the method for selling the product. It is not going to be one major change to effect success if the US strategy fails, it's going to be dozens or hundreds of small changes to get the US strategy working.

If Xero has faith in the product (and the success in NZ, AU and UK shows that that is warranted) then what else should they be doing?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    Xero's plan for the US is to have the best product out there and sell it to people. There is no need for a contingency plan because there can't be one.

Any sort of contingency is going to be in refining the features and the timeline for rolling out those features and in changing the method for selling the product.
    Agree and we can see that with them bringing out payroll as a required feature.

(I also though that Rod and the xero stuff really tried too hard to look like they worked in a fun/zany/wacky place. I mean, really?)
    Just for an added info, my son worked for Xero. Compared to his previous job, he told me that working there is really having fun. They were having that shooting game as part of their socializing when that 3rd Degree show came in for a visit. So that wasn't staged at all.

I would have thought that the plan B would be to pull out of any unprofitable markets (the US in this example) and concentrate on the markets where you are profitable/ dominant (NZ, AUS,UK etc) and become the dominant provider. MYOB is only in a couple of markets and they have been around for ages and I assume make a profit. I couldn't be bothered checking.

It wouldn't be the great success that everybody would like but it would still be a formidable company in its chosen markets. I don't really see this happening though as they don't actually have to win in the States, they just have to grab enough market share to be a viable alternative to QuickBooks. Then they can nestle in and become a slow profitable behemoth for a few years.