sharetrader
Page 17 of 75 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: GOLD

On a serious note.... all these rumours about central banks and dealers running out of the physical gold holdings is interesting. Is it a matter of just rumours or are there substance behind those rumours?

Well I don't think we'll going have to wait to long before the rumours become hard facts

If you still don't understand whats happening with the USD/Gold it worth first looking at the history here's a doco on utube
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bTq6gFeIvU
    Last edited by JBmurc; 06-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Who View Post
    Does owning a 18ct gold rolex valued at over $60k count for being long on gold?
    It was interesting to note that Rolex's were very valuable and hot items for trading in Iceland recently as their economy imploded . . . I have a Stainless GMT II that I wear everyday . . . hopefully things won't get that bad in NZ that I'll have to hock it.

Back to gold, I have a mix of physical and mostly Canadian miners.

I thought this was interesting

Have you noticed over the past couple of days that Crude Oil has firmed up off its lows? At the same time, Gold has faltered. What is important to note about this is the fact that the major commodity indexes are due to rebalance their weightings within their respective indexes, as they do annually. This will equate to notable buying and selling of individual commodities, of which is expected to start this week. We came across an article on the web that outlines work done by JP Morgan on the topic. (Source: ft.com/alphaville)
    This becomes all the more noteworthy given that these indexes underly different commodity ETF's and ETN's that are now quite popular for asset allocation decisions. JP Morgan estimates that the DJ-AIG Commodity Index [DJAIG] has $25 billion in related funds tracking it, while the S&P Goldman Sachs Commodity Index [GNX/Y] has roughly $50 billion tied to it. The new weightings will take effect during the roll period in January, staring on the 8th and 9th, depending on the index. For example, Crude Oil's market weight in the DJAIG will rise from 9.6% to 13.8%, while Gold's will be dropped from 10.8% to 7.9%. This follows the rebalancing concept of selling what was strong, and buying what was the weakest. The 2008 returns bear this out: Crude Oil fell -55.5%, Gold rose +5.3%.

JP Morgan (and ftalphaville.ft.com) went on to say the following: "In financial terms, we expect the rebalancing to have the greatest impact in gold, COMEX copper, crude oil, and live cattle. We estimate that the rebalancing of the two indices is expected to result in $877 million of selling in gold, $699 million of buying in COMEX copper, $528 million of selling in live cattle, and $523 million of buying in crude oil."

Happy New Year Craig - Nice to see you posting again.

For day traders, there may be a bear Gartley forming on the H1 chart.

rgds -arco

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    A good baseline is APMEX in the US.

http://www.apmex.com/Category/160/Si...09__Prior.aspx

SAE's are selling for US$3.99 over spot a little cheaper if you buy more. So by my calculations they work out about NZ$27 per coin unshipped.

E-Bay buy now prices are US $17.50 each or about NZ$30.00.
    I checked to see if they would ship overseas. Here's their reply

Thank you for your recent inquiry. At this time, due to insurance restrictions, we are unable to ship internationally. We are currently working with different carriers to determine the best fit for our needs. If we are able to find a carrier that fits our needs, notification will be sent out to all account holders. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Should you have any questions, or require any further information, please do not hesitate to let me know.
    Respectfully
    Brandon Stewart
    American Precious Metals Exchange
    www.APMEX.com
    Last edited by arco; 09-01-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arco View Post
    I checked to see if they would ship overseas. Here's their reply

Thank you for your recent inquiry. At this time, due to insurance restrictions, we are unable to ship internationally. We are currently working with different carriers to determine the best fit for our needs. If we are able to find a carrier that fits our needs, notification will be sent out to all account holders. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Should you have any questions, or require any further information, please do not hesitate to let me know.
    Respectfully
    Brandon Stewart
    American Precious Metals Exchange
    www.APMEX.com
    I have found it EXTREMELY difficult to purchase physical from the United States. But I have had success with smaller sellers.

Tulving seems to have extremely competitive pricing and when I've inquired in the past about international sales I was told a firm "no".

Then they recently started doing this:

http://www.tulving.com/New%20Pages/o..._customers.htm

But I'm relucatant to do so for a number of reasons.

I'm finding the purchase of bullion within New Zealand to be more cost competitive against imported bullion than previously....negating much of my rationale for previously doing so.

So physical and bulliondirect for me.....with the odd trade on Oanda.

I just wish bulliondirect would add silver to their lineup...I presume it's part of their longterm plan......but no dice for the time being according to the person who answered my query.....
    Last edited by lakedaemonian; 09-01-2009 at 12:10 PM.

I rang the NZmint yesterday gold 1oz in stock No silver till at least mid feb

Silver is 77 times cheaper than gold many factors show it shouldn't be more than 10
    times

Harder to get without having to pay-up 10%-20% more

I like Gold but for me Silver #1 once investor start to see the facts profits in silver will be large.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Why is it so hard to get the physical gold?
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Dr

I posted some links that showed ETF's/commercial hedge funds & the like have stocked up, to cover there shorts in Silver/Gold...

If you cant find tham PM me & i'll send you the links

Like JBMurc i've looked into Silver, in particular 1kg bars & they are hard to get, not to mention pricey...

Means one thing to my mind, silver is due to spike & hard, sometime soon

well currently you can buy small amounts of GOLD BULLION off the NZmint think the price he quoted was 1oz fern $1550+freight straight away so no worries there different story for Silver atm which IMHO will really get out of control later this year like when Paper bullion holders decide they want to convert to the real deal..then It's going be.. I'm sorry but your going to have to wait for along time we've sold 10x more paper than real silver we have in the stock vaults and because the investment world will be paying more an more like they are right now Mr paper bullion will be the first to miss out ......