sharetrader
Page 56 of 75 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: GOLD

Yes, I'm sure China would love to take a heap of that gold paying with some of their pile of devaluing green-backs.

Default IMF gold sale

That the IMF intended to sell 400 tons of gold has been public knowledge for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    That the IMF intended to sell 400 tons of gold has been public knowledge for at least a year.
    It may have been public knowledge, but I was unaware of it, and I'm sure that would apply to many people. And if it was public knowledge why have the IMF just made the announcement on September 18, 2009 stating "The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) today approved gold sales in a volume strictly limited to 403.3 metric tons"?

Whatever, it has created a set-off now, which is what I was expecting.

Last edited by arco; 21-09-2009 at 09:08 PM.

It appears the IMF may have used this tactic at previous peaks to try and drive the price of gold down, see March 2008, Feb 2009

Default CB gazing or wishful thinking?

Hi Arco, looking at the POG chart since 2002/2003, the IMF strategy/tactic [if there is one] seemst to have only a temporary effect.
    Today it looks like an orderly retracement to support at $1,000 level.

Quote Originally Posted by arco View Post
    It appears the IMF may have used this tactic at previous peaks to try and drive the price of gold down, see March 2008, Feb 2009
    Why would the IMF want to drive the price of gold down?
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Thousands of Americans are joining protests and lobbying their politicians in pursuit of the ultimate goal of replacing the Fed with a money system backed by gold or other commodities.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-36375,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Who View Post
    Why would the IMF want to drive the price of gold down?
    So they can buy it back cheaper later on maybe?

Yup.......you may not be able to set your watch to it, but certainly your calender.

It's like a game of Whack-A-Mole

So they can buy it back cheaper later on maybe?
    What I find hilarious is how the talking heads(certainly prodded by government/fed) try to portray anyone who says "gold" as a nutter.

If you said "gold" 5+ years ago you certainly would have been burned at the media stake(I always think of that old Monty Python Holy Grail skit)...it was(and is) garlic to the financial industry vampires, and a stake in the heart of currency sovereignty(particularly reserve currency).....but it seems to be wearing off.

At the end of the day, if Gold isn't a form of currency, Central Banks would have divested from it completely long ago.

Gordon Brown will go down in history as an absolutely horrible PM.....the icing on the cake for Brown is how he dumped UK gold when prices bottomed.....he will probably go down in history as the UK's "Economic Chamberlain".

I've been in gold for a good few years now....I only wish I had entered beginning in 99/00 instead of 03/04...and I only wish I had bought more.....high single digit, low double digit % allocation was too low and it's been a struggle to get to the 30%(as recommended by iTulip) at a comfortable price.

iTulip has been in Gold since 99.....I read a lot about gold elsewhere, but always return there for analysis to get me off the fence.

Their position is that Gold will help retain buying power of capital for individuals, as well as potentially be used as a "bridge" <---(my term not theirs) to whatever Breckon Woods 2.0-ish system comes next.

If only iTulip was able to produce their long awaited "energy investment thesis" to match their "gold thesis".....I lost patience and have been looking towards energy as a volatile form of future currency.