sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ... have power to make you great

Default "Something safer than the sharemarket"

Sad tale of a hardworking now retired female firefighter who fell for the scammers and lost retirement savings.

A timely story with the bear market driving people away from shares to a fixed return. Her goal was to make an investment in "something safer than the sharemarket" which turned out to be anything but.

I personally only deal with well known and on-shore operators but even then I feel I could still be duped. The scammers seem to have covered all their bases with local phone numbers and a perceived structure etc. Not all scams are amateurish type emails.

Stay safe people.

Firefighter's warning after losing life savings to sophisticated bank scam
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...GTGTXQUZ4PFYI/

... have power to make you great

Sorry - premium content!

The Nelson based firewoman sent $325,000 to NY multinational banking group Citibank or so she thought. The scammers had contacted her through a general online enquiry she made for insurance and investment products and forwarded the bank's own prospectus. A plausible Englishman contacted her several times and required paperwork for AML. She would phone him via an Auckland local number with a receptionist, which could just be a paid answering service, answering the phone Sounds very normal.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    Sorry - premium content!

The Nelson based firewoman sent $325,000 to NY multinational banking group Citibank or so she thought. The scammers had contacted her through a general online enquiry she made for insurance and investment products and forwarded the bank's own prospectus. A plausible Englishman contacted her several times and required paperwork for AML. She would phone him via an Auckland local number with a receptionist, which could just be a paid answering service, answering the phone Sounds very normal.
    Here is the story:

https://funancial.news/firefighters-...ted-bank-scam/

- like much of Herald's 'premium content' it's often easy to find in another paper. Just copy headline, or sub heading, and paste into google or your favourite search engine.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 31-07-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Habits View Post
    Sorry - premium content!

Nothing like a posh English accent huh? For an American Bank! Hello!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Yeah there's no way a British person could possibly work for an American bank.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    ??

I have had an American accent on my big Aussie bank’s NZ number. Should I have contacted the scam department immediately?

$325,000 fire fighter’s pension fund? Even without the other details that is a bit of an indication that she spent much of her working life outside NZ.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 31-07-2022 at 04:41 PM.

How come that article is so badly written? It is barely readable. Is the victim a man or a woman? The "reporter" seems to think that him/her and he/she are interchangeable and can be used at random. I'd agree that banks, and insurance companies, have become substantially degraded for customer service now that it is virtually impossible to deal face-to-face with an intelligent, knowledgeable, kiwi, human being.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Here is the story:

https://funancial.news/firefighters-...ted-bank-scam/

- like much of Herald's 'premium content' it's often easy to find in another paper. Just copy headline, or sub heading, and paste into google or your favourite search engine.
    Geeez all for a few point higher than NZ deposit rates .... all of her savings because the Sharemarket was so risky ?? she should have come on here to ST least ask the Question about finding a good safer return .. diversity #1 safety she could have got in the sharemarket Vs one Oversea savings account ...
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

JB...with all due respect....Which planet are you on.Most kiwis are deeply suspicious and weary of the SM.
    I have in recent times been in the company of those who just left a high decile high school in chch and asked what their knowledge was of credit cards...mortgages....et al..
    I may well have been speaking ...Swaili or Finnish as far as they were concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    How come that article is so badly written? It is barely readable. Is the victim a man or a woman? The "reporter" seems to think that him/her and he/she are interchangeable and can be used at random.
    I'm no fan of The Herald, but I didn't find it hard to read, and it was clear the victim was a woman (I was skim reading, admittedly). Do you have examples of when they got the gender wrong or other parts that were badly written?
    Last edited by Cricketfan; 31-07-2022 at 07:01 PM.