sharetrader
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks for the info from me too lakedaemonian.

After a bit more research and talking to ppl I am narrowing down on some of the established university towns (e.g. Ann Arbor MI, Boulder, CO). Any thoughts on these?

My sister and brother-in-law live in Boulder. Seems to be a very forward thinking, younger generation town. Also its proximity to ski fields must be an advantage.

My in-law is in Boulder at the moment checking it out
    But by all accounts the housing slowdown is getting worse in the US so there is certainly no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    I also agree the time to buy is still 1yr+ away
    when the US property market is fully doom & gloom
    JB ... long time property owner here. Have owned property in So Cal since the late 80s... been through a couple of dumps but certainly have come out on the winning side.

My problem now is how or the right time to get the returns back to NZD.

Moved back to NZ 4 yrs ago and intend to stay here

I woud agree with a previous poster.... the time may well be a year away to get into the US market.

Cool Gold silver shares

From what I've read of late with USD I'd be buying Gold silver bullion or shares in some good US CAN miners
    or convert the cash into YEN
    then sit back and relax and not worry about bringing the cash back unless I really had too.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

I have been pondering whether or not I should begin to acquire US property Myself. But 2 main concerns come to mind...

1. Finding reliable and trustworthy property managers. I have read numerous problems with Property managers from Aussie investors who brought property in the US. What happens if you choose a property manager and he/she turns out to be unfit for the job? What is stopping them from fleeching you or just being so uninterested about doing their job? How do you keep a leash on them essentially, if you are so far away? Basically this concern perhaps presents the biggest road block to me just setting foot in the US and buying up property en masse and what will either make or break the venture.

The same concern I believe extends to the rest of the team, Your lawyer, Accountant etc.

2. Lending. What types of US lenders are willing to lend to foreign investors these days. last time I inquired, many wanted your Social Security Number. Additionally With the sub prime Mortgage scare, will this possibly present some new challengers in arranging financing? Prefer not to have to pay outright for real estate investments.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Default Cheap deals in buffalo NY

sent this guys an e-mail awhile ago will be asking them Q's on investing there
    -Having at look at some of there listings propertys for 50,000usd-80,000 with rental yeilds over 20% sounds to good to be true (don't even need to take a loan on)

http://www.globalpropertydeals.com
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Default heres one

TYPE ResidentialSTYLE ApartmentLAND SIZE m2PRICE $55,000EST. RENT $1,125EST. ROI 24.545 %UNDER GREAT PROPERTY MANAGEMENT.
    3 INCOME STREAMS - NOTHING TO DO.

Two level Duplex and Separate self contained 1 bedroom cottage on 1 title. $12k spent on rehab work in the last 20 months.

Upper unit : Large 4 bedroom unit - rented below market at $400pm. Previously rented at $520pm.
    Lower unit : 2 bedroom unit rented at $400 pm.
    Cottage: Rented at $325pm

Total rents: $1125pm ($13500) with upside to $1295pm($15540)
    City, Sewer, Water and Garbage taxes approx $2800pa

Other features include: University Area, New Roof, Aluminium siding, separate utilities, competant property management.

Vendor is willing to pay 2 months rent on any unit if any unit is not occupied at time of closing. Buyer to split closing costs 50/50 with vendor.

***********This has been reduced from $65K for a cash buyer only. Contact owner now************

Default reply from my e-mail-who else see this deals as good buying

The Buffalo deals are very good yeilds if you have good PM in place as you rightly point out. You would need to set up a local US account to accept rents, and yes – at the end of the year – like in Australia/NZ you pay tax on profits. Some I know have a mix of high yeilding Buffalo deals – and newer property in Texas – net result = no or little tax.

There is also a double tax treaty in place meaning you don’t pay tax twice on the same profit made overseas – to the IRD

Have a look at out FAQS page – some of it is covered there. If you want to have a chat about considering joining our tour, let me know. It really is the best education to buying overseas

Some of the lead articles on the www.money.cnn.com website today .....

2 million homes lie empty in USA

USD continues to fall

Gold up at 27 year high

Oil approaches $100/bbl

Now tell me why you would buy into the US property market ???