sharetrader
Page 122 of 971 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222622 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 9701
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
    Strange indeed, oh well I think I need to just continue to not look at it and come back next year haha.
    Yep, a watched pot never boils. The internet has made it far to easy to monitor every little movement in price, every little hiccup, rumour and ramp. It's little wonder many fail to invest long enough to make really good returns

Guru

Thanks Ratkin : My thoughts exactly .I wonder how many on sharetrader let fear & greed tear themselves apart on a daily/hourly basis !If they where honest with themselves and equated in their time they spend looking at every bit of information they would have a piss poor quality of life and piss poor return IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Yep, a watched pot never boils. The internet has made it far to easy to monitor every little movement in price, every little hiccup, rumour and ramp. It's little wonder many fail to invest long enough to make really good returns

Agree, as Roger's analogies go, I shall go fishing while sailing around the sea!

Just like Taleb's fictional dentist in Fooled by Randomness suffers - (extract)

This hypothetical investor is guaranteed to earn 15% per annum from his portfolio with an associated volatility of 10%. These statistics are not open to dispute.

But if our investor friend monitors his portfolio in real time, however, the random price oscillations of his portfolio are likely to trigger extreme anxiety. Depending on the frequency with which he observes his portfolio, our dentist will experience varying degrees of heartache and distress. The frequency of portfolio observation versus probability of a pleasurable shown below:

1 second 50.02%
    1 minute 50.17%
    1 hour 51.30%
    1 day 54%
    1 month 67%
    1 quarter 77%
    1 year 93%
    (Source: „Fooled by Randomness‟, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

The message is clear. Too much observation can be bad for you. If Taleb‟s dentist simply restricts the frequency with which he checks his portfolio – a fundamentally sound portfolio – he will boost his chances of incurring a positive emotional outcome from his monitoring. Note that nothing changes about the composition of his portfolio – only the frequency with which he checks it. Investors determined to watch the pot may end up being scalded

I agree with the sentiments expressed above regarding volatility and time. Investment returns in a solid steady growth company like this will be a function of capital invested and time in the market.

Not sure how many of you have had a good look through the full results presentation that was attached to the full year announcement on the stock exchange website so I have posted a link here for your convienience. You can learn a lot about the company by studing this presentation in great detail.
    https://www.nzx.com/files/attachments/189890.pdf

Advanced Member

Well constructed post there.(winner) Have to confess I check mine multiple times a day even though it's very rare to take any action.
    Would rather fill my empty computer moments with sharetrader than looking at pictures of funny cats on Facebook
    Last edited by ratkin; 28-02-2014 at 10:13 AM.

I also agree.

But,

it would be easier if we were in a slightly different part of the cycle. I think most peoples nerves are up anyway, coz we know at some point in the not too distant future things are going to dramatically change, and we're all trying to protect our capital...

Advanced Member

Just taken Rogers advice and actually bothered to look at the result.
    I wonder if they will be so keen to include one off losses in future results, as they were to include the 8m brownfield gain in this one.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Just taken Rogers advice and actually bothered to look at the result.
    I wonder if they will be so keen to include one off losses in future results, as they were to include the 8m brownfield gain in this one.
    Auditors will require it.

Most look at underlying earnings anyway, which strips out unrealised valuations fluctuations.

Advanced Member

EVer since Ryman and summerset have been around, property and land prices have pretty much risen every year (correct me if I'm wrong)
    should that situation change then results are going to look very different.

Question. What proportion of these companies success is a result of

A) Increasing numbers of oldies
    B) years of rising property prices