sharetrader
Page 213 of 970 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223263313713 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 9700
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I won't go over all the reasons I've put on here for having dementia units but they all add up to one very important factor that being MARKET DISADVANTAGE if your competitors all have dementia units with an ever increasing demand and you don't. PS-Hospital units cost more to run than dementia units do.
    I agree--dementia units ,even if not that profitable are an integral part of the whole package deal.
    When oldies decide on a retirement village ,surely they must take into consideration the fact that they may need this care further down the line-its just part of the feeling of ....ah...whats the word.....oh yea..security.

Guru

Mean while ,heres a retirement village company that is focusing more on real estate values than care facilities and every one is wondering why bits not doing so well ATM....Hmmmm

Banned

For what its worth I'm sure the penny will drop with the Sum management team re dementia units in the not too distant future, Boulcott in Lower Hutt will be the test to see if they will change their current plans and add a dementia unit, here's hoping.

Ryman say having a high-quality aged-care service (including hospital care and dementia units) will be a strong driver of future demand for the retirement village units.

They obviously feel they are better positioned/ more competitive if they have the full package, and maybe get a bit of a 'premium' for the units.
    Last edited by winner69; 16-08-2014 at 09:02 AM.

NG My dad died of Dementia in 2012 so when I eventually go looking for the best retirement village if it doesn't have good dementia facilities I'll be ruling it out. Everyone wants to believe they'll be well looked after and secure in their latter years regardless of what may come their way. Does that sum it up for you ?, (pardon the pun).

percy

The proof of the pudding will be whether SUM sell the village to retirees without a dementia unit.
    Fast sales means it is not an issue.
    Slow sales means it is an issue.
    Should there be slow sales I think we will see some action from SUM.

Thanks for your kind words Newguy. They do seem to be selling well so perhaps that is the definitive test.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    NG My dad died of Dementia in 2012 so when I eventually go looking for the best retirement village if it doesn't have good dementia facilities I'll be ruling it out. Everyone wants to believe they'll be well looked after and secure in their latter years regardless of what may come their way. Does that sum it up for you ?, (pardon the pun).
    As a matter of interest Roger, did your Dad previously have a unit in the village, where his dementia unit was located? The only person I know who had a retirement village unit who then later needed rest home care was unable to get a place in her own village's rest home. I would be interested to find out the percent of village residents needing care, who need to find care away from their own village's facilities. Even if they can eventually move back to their original village's facilities when a vacancy opens up, it is still an extreme inconvenience for the resident involved; At this stage at least, I am wondering whether a village's being abe to offer a "complete package" may not mean anything to quite a few licence holders, when the crunch comes and they actually do need care. I am doubtful that villages would keep statistics on this...

Hi Bjauck,

No he didn't. We shifted him in there from another village. It would be interesting to know if one has a unit already in a Ryman village whether this gives residents preference, anyone know ?

percy

On a slightly different note.My wife's mum is in dementia unit, [ small unlisted local ].Yesterday morning they rang and advised she had another fall and had a black eye.
    Well when my wife and her brother visited her later in the morning they got a different story from her;"After the rugby we went to the pub and I must have got into a fight."!!!!!