sharetrader
Page 65 of 971 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    ..... thereafter standards for the most needy patients literally fell off the edge of a cliff.
    Not belittling the need for excellent care for the elderly - my dad received superb dementia care in a privately run retirement village in Hawke's Bay - but we'll need to be sure that future aged care facilities are "literally" not built on the edge of a cliff!
    "Don't be afraid to take a big step if one is indicated. You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps." David Lloyd George

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    When the Presbyterians rewrote the bible for their benefit they added it in the back somewhere that ministers were to get special treatment. Its just after revelations.

They went to the same publisher that allowed Catholic priests to drink and mess with young boys.

Disc. I am Catholic, though not a priest (and not much of a catholic to be honest)
    Roger doesn't mean that Toasty, its just his father served the community, for the good of everyone and he was treated like that. As ministers they do so much for the good of country as well. There are some bad apples but that doesn't mean we bash everyone with the same hammer.

Toasty. That was completly insensitive / offensive and uncalled for.

Here's a revelation just for you mate, you know what, you are actually allowed to keep offensive opinions to yourself, please feel free to do so and that goes for your other mate as well.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-11-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Interesting that the Govt has been given a report suggesting investment in the very young gives a better return than investment (expenditure I suppose) on the elderly.

I don't think the two should be mentioned on the same page. It will be very interesting to see what the Govt's response is.

That plot down the bottom is alarming given the grey tsunami approaching.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11159174

Can we please have constructive posts and discussions regarding investing.

Cheers.

I find it somewhat interesting that so far all the articles in the Herald have been negative. I know the adage is that bad news sells better but I wonder if there will be any positive stories as part of the series.

Cameron Slater on the Whale Oil blog displayed an internal Herald email some time back suggesting that it was pretty much an orchestrated beat up. It seems that no matter how successful a company or industry in New Zealand people just want to tear it down. Even the fact that the rest home sector is a good investment has been portrayed from the viewpoint that the industry is just out to extract every last dollar from their residents.

Surely if people are being treated so badly they would leave or their family would shoulder the responsibility of caring for them or finding somewhere better? These journalist must have gone through the homes and rejected every feel good story and seized on the disasters.

Guru

Toasty - they will all be negative. Not hard to find 10 examples (2 articles a day for a 5 day series) of bad care. They will also tarnish the whole industry rather than a Consumer style ranking - why not do a table with various metrics - could turn into an annual think like the school rankings.

The fact is these places are need so why not show whose best (using industry wide data, not one off specific events) so hopefully the bad drop out and everyone else tries to raise their game to win further business.

Bad news sells copy and the Herald are desperate to do exactly that.

Anyone know the new website for the new Ministry's audit reports of each health care facility apparently being made available to the public today ?

Interesting article around the debate regarding full audit disclosure of healthcare standards.
    http://www.insitemagazine.co.nz/news...s-got-to-give/
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-11-2013 at 10:03 AM.

My inlaws are at RYM Orewa and have no problems at all, in fact the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
    My inlaws are at RYM Orewa and have no problems at all, in fact the complete opposite.
    Are they both in the Dementia unit ?