sharetrader
Page 661 of 971 FirstFirst ... 161561611651657658659660661662663664665671711761 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,610 of 9701
    Banned

Make no mistake, this is all about saving on staff and saving money, good for shareholders, crap for residents. SUM already have less activities staff than RYM and OCA.

Yes easy to save a few dollars in the short term. In the long term I always think creating most vaalue for residents is whats most important.

Theres a great speech by Jack Ma the CEO and founder of ali baba that I believe holds a lot of truth. He says the best thing for shareholders is to put your customers first, employees second and shareholders third. Ultimately this creates the largest net value for everyone.

So they program a robot to run exercise classes...(and yes from the clip on telly last night people by and large seemed amused with the novelty of it) but who is there to help the old folks when they pull a muscle working out to the exercise regime ? Have we all forgotten the movie I Robot already ? Did you know there is a company listed in the U.S. called I Robot ?

With the rise and rise of A.I. I think all this leads to a cold and more de-humanized environment for our vulnerable elderly. I shudder to think, (if I make it into my late 80's) what the future of late stage "care" will be in 30 years time....maybe everything will be done by robots by then and if you don't do as you're told
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

......and they’ll have a robot as an accountant

Days of suburban accountants numbered?

https://istart.co.nz/nz-opinion-arti...d-help-office/
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Thankfully I'll probably be retired by the time this kicks into top gear.
    Last edited by Beagle; 31-07-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

http://youtu.be/cFvGAL9tesM
    how about these robots ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    http://youtu.be/cFvGAL9tesM
    how about these robots ?
    Couta1 would know best but as far as I know some dementia wards have regular pet therapy sessions with real pets. I know of one woman who volunteers a lot of her time with her dog visiting old folks homes. Only certain types of dogs have the temperament for it though. These kids toys look like a fourth rate alternative.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    These kids toys look like a fourth rate alternative.
    The patients seemed really happy and they get one each (rather than one to go around) so maybe not 4th rate.
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating, remember the guy started them by accident really.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    The patients seemed really happy and they get one each (rather than one to go around) so maybe not 4th rate.
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating, remember the guy started them by accident really.
    Perhaps you have a good point. At a certain point they really are "away with the fairies" so anything that makes them happy is quite probably a good thing.

That was rather a large red cliff to end the week on - I do hope none of the residents wandered off it in their fairie walking.