sharetrader
Page 827 of 970 FirstFirst ... 327727777817823824825826827828829830831837877927 ... LastLast
Results 8,261 to 8,270 of 9700

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    I feel compelled to defend Ratkin here. His comment was no more racist than stating that Germans are good at engineering.
    Phillipinos are the best in the world at the hands-on positions within the service industry... and they know it.
    Ref: 1:05 mark at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_pzn1BYpU

In Singapore and Dubai where I lived for 6 years, there are multiple agencies set up to specifically supply Philippino caregiving, maid, and nanny services who easily make up 90% of those in the role in both the private and public sector. They are brilliant at it, excellent at speaking a range of languages (superb at English), and offer very good value for money. I too think it would be beneficial for all if New Zealand had similar.
    Difficult. I don't think Filipinos are better than others in caring - they are just (due to the poverty in their own country) prepared to work longer hours for less money. For the countries who allow these services it is basically like buying cheap slave labor. Pleasant for the haves ... and who cares for the have-not's.

I think it is an ethical question whether we want to be one of these countries exploiting cheap quasi slave labor.

While I agree that we will (due to our age pyramid and population development) not be able to survive long term without the help of foreign workers (including care staff) would I think that we should make sure these people get fair pay and working conditions. A maid in Singapore (and they have great working conditions compared to some other counties in the region) works basically 24/6. One free day per week. Sure - she is allowed to sleep, but she is always on call.

Give them a fair contract and you need to hire 4 maids instead of one to secure 24/7 service and if you need to pay each of them at least minimum wage instead of a handful of dollars per month, than you might find that our care homes are not that expensive ...

What country do you want to live in?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    I feel compelled to defend Ratkin here. His comment was no more racist than stating that Germans are good at engineering.
    Phillipinos are the best in the world at the hands-on positions within the service industry... and they know it.
    Ref: 1:05 mark at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_pzn1BYpU

In Singapore and Dubai where I lived for 6 years, there are multiple agencies set up to specifically supply Philippino caregiving, maid, and nanny services who easily make up 90% of those in the role in both the private and public sector. They are brilliant at it, excellent at speaking a range of languages (superb at English), and offer very good value for money. I too think it would be beneficial for all if New Zealand had similar.
    Thanks for that, I too know many filipinos and find them as a group the happiest, and most caring people I know. Quite a few people I know have actually married filipinos, and they all seem pretty happy with their choices. They are all really community orientated, send money to their families etc and generally fit in very well in NZ. Would rather be looked after by one of them than some kiwi who was only doing the job because the dole office sent him/her (cue tirade from the sensitive one)

It was never my intention to suggest I was only interested in one because they were cheap, it was because they would probably do a better job, and be more pleasant to be around
    Last edited by ratkin; 10-09-2019 at 05:41 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Difficult. I don't think Filipinos are better than others in caring - they are just (due to the poverty in their own country) prepared to work longer hours for less money. For the countries who allow these services it is basically like buying cheap slave labor. Pleasant for the haves ... and who cares for the have-not's.

I think it is an ethical question whether we want to be one of these countries exploiting cheap quasi slave labor.

While I agree that we will (due to our age pyramid and population development) not be able to survive long term without the help of foreign workers (including care staff) would I think that we should make sure these people get fair pay and working conditions. A maid in Singapore (and they have great working conditions compared to some other counties in the region) works basically 24/6. One free day per week. Sure - she is allowed to sleep, but she is always on call.

Give them a fair contract and you need to hire 4 maids instead of one to secure 24/7 service and if you need to pay each of them at least minimum wage instead of a handful of dollars per month, than you might find that our care homes are not that expensive ...

What country do you want to live in?
    My wife's mother,brother and uncle, have had great care in rest homes from both NZ and Phiippino staff.Three different homes,all same level of excellent care.
    The Ryman Elsie Summers' was like a 5 star hotel.
    Last edited by percy; 10-09-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

[QUOTE=ratkin;770930]Thanks for that, I too know many filipinos and find them as a group the happiest, and most caring people I know. Quite a few people I know have actually married filipinos, and they all seem pretty happy with their choices. They are all really community orientated, send money to their families etc and generally fit in very well in NZ. Would rather be looked after by one of them than some kiwi who was only doing the job because the dole office sent him/her (cue tirade from the sensitive one)[/QUOTE]

While I dont really wish to enter into this debate I can see why your comments could be construed as being racist. And your comment re “the sensitive one” is actually childish and uncalled for IMO

That being said I also know from personal experience the care a family member has had from a Filipino care giver has been outstanding.
    Last edited by RupertBear; 10-09-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    My wife's mother,brother and uncle, have had great care in rest homes from both NZ and Phiippino staff.Three different homes,all same level of excellent care.
    And I presume that these hard working Filipino staff had proper NZ work contracts and work hours with the standard wages paid? Great stuff - but this was not what vaygor suggested when he talked about the Filipino maid system in Dubai and Singapore we said we should introduce. These maids earn only a handful of dollars per month, have to work round the clock and are exposed to all sorts of harassment without proper protection.

Sure - they still do a great job (many workers without rights do ...), but I suppose you don't suggest we should re-introduce slave labor in New Zealand?

If you however propose that we should allow more Filipino (and other overseas) nurses and carers on standard NZ working hours and pay into our country to reduce our care crisis than you have no argument from me.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 10-09-2019 at 05:45 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Oh well, i know I am not racist, and as for the childish comment you are probably right, but hey ho it is what it is.
    I will withdraw from the discussion now, because it has all been a bit blown out of proportion, and it is in danger of spiralling into a typical internet war.
    Last edited by ratkin; 10-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Oh well, i know I am not racist, and as for the childish comment you are probably right, but hey ho it is what it is.
    I will withdraw from the discussion now, because it has all been a bit blown out of proportion, and it is in danger of spiralling into a typical internet war.
    Thats fair enough and I agree it has probably been blown out of proportion. I suspect it was just your wording that came across a bit dodgy and you are not a racist.

PS I have always valued your posts
    Last edited by RupertBear; 10-09-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Advanced Member

I stayed with friends in Hong Kong a few years back, and it was usual to see the maids out in the parks on Sundays- marvelous sight like a massive flock of beautiful birds chatting and laughing together. My friends, who BTW did not have a maid, said it was very common for these women to have a university degree and to stay for a few years only. I asked where the men are, and the answer was they were often in the army. Conscripted they thought.

Closer to home we have, and have had, numerous tenants from the Philippines. Never ever any problems. The rentals are near the hospital and all of the tenants, men and women, have worked there in nursing and midwife roles. Always top of the list for rental vacancies.

Banned

I can tell you that Filipino nurses/caregivers are indeed very caring and gentle by nature and are not abusive or rude toward residents which I cannot say for certain other groups to the same degree, make of it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    And I presume that these hard working Filipino staff had proper NZ work contracts and work hours with the standard wages paid? Great stuff - but this was not what vaygor suggested when he talked about the Filipino maid system in Dubai and Singapore we said we should introduce. These maids earn only a handful of dollars per month, have to work round the clock and are exposed to all sorts of harassment without proper protection.

Sure - they still do a great job (many workers without rights do ...), but I suppose you don't suggest we should re-introduce slave labor in New Zealand?

If you however propose that we should allow more Filipino (and other overseas) nurses and carers on standard NZ working hours and pay into our country to reduce our care crisis than you have no argument from me.
    These people (Predominantly Phillipinos but also includes those from Sri Lanka, Mynamar, and Indonesia amongst others) are exceptionally well off in Dubai and Singapore compared to the opportunities they get and the pay & conditions they would receive in their country of origin. Would you deny them that? They have found a means to an end.

I am convinced they do a better job in the service industry because (on a general scale) they possess an innate characteristic within their make-up and nature to unreservedly care and help others, and also because they never seem to take the pay and conditions they receive for granted. These two factors would apply in New Zealand and have nothing to do with pay (as they would be on the same payscale as their co-workers by law) and everything to do with value for money.

Excuse me for this subject drifting off-topic somewhat.