sharetrader
Page 887 of 971 FirstFirst ... 387787837877883884885886887888889890891897937 ... LastLast
Results 8,861 to 8,870 of 9701

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Definition of a bear market is >20% fall. SUM peaked at $9.30 so a 20% fall from that is $7.44. It closed at $7.43 this afternoon so there's your answer mate.
    Well, it is back to $7.80 - i.e. must have been a micro bear :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    I guess only hindsight will show whether the cat is really dead ; They say cats have nine lives, don't they?
    Yup, I took advantage of the bounce and have now sold all SUM shares.

This cat seems to have reached maximum trajectory in the first 30 minutes, cruising along now. I will watch with interest to see what happens, but I am out and at a tidy profit, so breathing easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, it is back to $7.80 - i.e. must have been a micro bear :
    LOL Our mate Coutts thinks its a teddy bear

Nobody ever went broke taking a sizeable profit
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    LOL Our mate Coutts thinks its a teddy bear

Nobody ever went broke taking a sizeable profit
    ... absolutely ... and I do agree as well that SUM might well go further down before it comes up again. But it will.

Not sure though, whether I would call every downleg in SUM companies beautiful cycles "Bear".
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Not touching ANY Retirement stock but If people think SUM is great value TODAY then fill the cupboards.

Rest home worries over coronavirus they are ignoring us ..........(Currently NZ has 1 case)

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...re-ignoring-us

Advanced Member

Always are chance the govt chips in with some funding, to help keep the residents safe
    Last edited by ratkin; 03-03-2020 at 09:42 PM.

As a rest home carer this is something I have thought about. My understanding/expectations would be that we would manage it the same way we currently manage any contagious illness. Unwell residents would be isolated in their rooms. Meals would be delivered to their rooms. Most of our residents have shared en-suite but in a situation like this we would provide them with a commode in their room, and they would not use the shared facilities. We would need to forgo showers temporarily but that is not a huge issue - every resident has their own hand basin, so carers would assist them to have a wash or bed bath instead during any period of isolation.

We already use protective plastic (disposable) aprons, gloves and masks when someone has a contagious illness (such as vomiting or diarrhoea) so this is what would happen in a coronavirus situation too. We would probably need DHB help with provision of these items as we most probably don’t have enough on hand for a major outbreak, but if we only had one or two residents affected, we would be fine.

Staffing could be an issue especially on evening and night shifts where we only have two staff on duty. We would need additional staff on those shifts if we had any more than one or two residents in isolation. This would also depend on the current needs of our residents at the time eg: if we had any residents needing two carers for cares, any palliative/end of life residents etc. Any of those scenarios would mean a need for extra staff if we were also dealing with the virus.

Other measures would no doubt be taken such as restricting/banning visitors temporarily, RNs may initiate more frequent general health checks for “well” residents, and maybe we would decide to use disposable plates/cutlery for meals for unwell residents?

We would do what we always do. Turn up for work, take recommended health and safety precautions, and do our very best to care for our people. Any resident who became extremely unwell would no doubt be transferred to hospital. I don’t believe our residents are at a significantly greater risk in our rest home than they would be anywhere else. If they were living at home with community support, they would still have people in and out of their home who could potentially introduce the virus. Same thing applies if they were living in the care of family.

All any of us, including our Health Department, DHBs and hospitals, can do ... is our best. There are no guarantees about anything in life. We have not yet perfected anything in terms of health and health related interventions. We still have no cure for the common cold. Or cancer. Why do we expect that “somebody” should be able to miraculously solve this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Not touching ANY Retirement stock but If people think SUM is great value TODAY then fill the cupboards.

Rest home worries over coronavirus they are ignoring us ..........(Currently NZ has 1 case)

@justakiwi.............. Hopefully worst case scenario never eventuates.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post

It seems to me that that rest home should be doing better risk assessments and disaster preparations.
    They are not very well prepared and want someone else to do it for them.

Post GFC nz property prices slumped 10% in a year and then took 3 years to get back to where they were.

Summerset with all their unsold units which have cost heaps more than expected to build (maybe 10% to 15% more) wouldn’t want a repeat of property prices collapsing like they did in 2008/2009
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”