sharetrader
Page 790 of 970 FirstFirst ... 290690740780786787788789790791792793794800840890 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,900 of 9698

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    To be fair - if you compare them with others, you would need to read the reports of the others as well, wouldn't you?

No doubt Ryman was the first (of the big retirement village providers) and they are (so far) the biggest. Question is - what do they do the others don't which makes you believe it will always stay that way?
    Gold Standard on a global basis ...or something like that

I think Ryman lead the way in innovation (for want of a better term) which others need to follow ...or fall behind

And that’s one reason why Ryman share price commands a ‘premium’

Thsee initiatives sound quite impressive ...the lamb shanks in red wine or the beef cheeks look yummy ....and $2 flat whites look good value

”We are rolling out new village hosting services, a new meal service for independent residents, and a new approach to dementia care. We are also trialling a taxi and car sharing service, an electric car charging network in Auckland and new generation solar-powered townhouses.’’
    Last edited by winner69; 25-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Gold Standard on a global basis ...or something like that

I think Ryman lead the way in innovation (for want of a better term) which others need to follow ...or fall behind

Thsee initiatives sound quite impressive ...the lamb shanks in red wine or the beef cheeks look yummy ....and $2 flat whites look good value

”We are rolling out new village hosting services, a new meal service for independent residents, and a new approach to dementia care. We are also trialling a taxi and car sharing service, an electric car charging network in Auckland and new generation solar-powered townhouses.’’
    OK - I read their PR as well, and no doubt - there are worse ways to grow old than in a Ryman retirement village. This is not the point, and I am sure the same is true for a Summerset or even a Metlifecare village.

Have a look into the Summerset report, the Oceania Report or even the Metlifecare report. They are all full of happy old people enjoying their meals and entertainment. Very similar stories - and they even all seem to win nearly every year some sort of award (though from different, all somewhat dubious providers)..

Again - so what is so special about Ryman that the others don't and won't do?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    the die hard believers are very quiet on SUM , OCA now. gone quiet like the property market

Credit where credit's due Bull, your words of caution earlier in the year were well timed & well founded.
    I note SUM SP almost 30% off last years high & OCA almost 25% off it's high.

While admittedly disappointed, haven't sold any (SUM & OCA around 20% of my portfolio) & probably should/thinking about, adding at current levels.

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

After the RYM report yesterday and attending the SUM meeting recently, I am very satisfied the industry is trucking along just fine. The value offered with the current sp of ARV ,OCA and particularly SUM at 5.50 is a gift. In 3 to five years when all of these threads have been long forgotten the rewards for us that still hold will be very solid.
    I look forward to ARVs result next Tuesday. Fully expecting a solid result and more indifference from the market.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    The value offered with the current sp of ARV ,OCA and particularly SUM at 5.50 is a gift.
    Agree, load up OCA, SUM while you can (not so sure about ARV but haven't researched it much), it's not often solid growth sectors with compelling tailwinds comes along, at attractive prices! Heck, even if GFCii comes, that will just present even better yield opportunities than now.

I love Vagours post awhile back on RYM where he bought steadfastly through the GFC and into the bottom SP, now must be sitting on a goldmine with plenty of upside to still come.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Agree, load up OCA, SUM while you can (not so sure about ARV but haven't researched it much), it's not often solid growth sectors with compelling tailwinds comes along, at attractive prices! Heck, even if GFCii comes, that will just present even better yield opportunities than now.

I love Vagours post awhile back on RYM where he bought steadfastly through the GFC and into the bottom SP, now must be sitting on a goldmine with plenty of upside to still come.
    RYM got down to a forward PE of 12 in the depths of the GFC. In my opinion SUM is being priced like we are already in a GFC MK2, on a forward PE of less than 12...
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    RYM got down to a forward PE of 12 in the depths of the GFC. In my opinion SUM is being priced like we are already in a GFC MK2, on a forward PE of less than 12...
    If SUM had been around in the depths of the GFC I wonder what there PE would have been .....maybe 6 to 8?

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    If SUM had been around in the depths of the GFC I wonder what there PE would have been .....maybe 6 to 8?
    Pointless speculating on that but the irony that SUM have been growing at a substantially higher average rate since they listed, (than RYM ever did over a 7 year period) isn't lost of me !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Pointless speculating on that but the irony that SUM have been growing at a substantially higher average rate since they listed, (than RYM ever did over a 7 year period) isn't lost of me !
    Both fantastic companies eh ....and just like the fantastic house in Remuera will always be worth more than a comparable fantastic house in Henderson (my Auckland geography not that good)

Doubt whether Oceania will ever be this good ...maybe good but not fantastic.

Membaa

Maybe you're still shaking off that 'value trader' instinct (the force is strong), pissed at the market for undervaluing your long termer and making you feel bad for having bought in at a bit higher SP? It just doesn't matter what the SP is if you're not going to sell. I have a few underwater if that's any consolation, but also some divis to soften the blow.

If I'm not mistaken this is in your 'forever hold for income portfolio' at a tidy yield? If you want to give yourself a pick-me-up, buy a few more at these depressed prices, it brings down your average SP (obviously), but boosts your net yield and makes you feel good about contrarian value buying against market sentiment. I'm going to get some next week, and the week after that and do a Vaygor on it if I have to. OCA too as it happens.

I also try not to look at or worry about the daily share prices of these shares, they mess with your mind. Maybe a weekly chart or better still a Monthly, but even then that is measuring something that isn't important anymore, the SP, when you're probably already measuring what is important, i.e. how well your earner is earning.