sharetrader
Page 678 of 970 FirstFirst ... 178578628668674675676677678679680681682688728778 ... LastLast
Results 6,771 to 6,780 of 9699

I am somewhat sceptical of a CGT making a huge impact.
    So you have to pay tax on your profit - it is profit, and I am sure those with a lot at stake will have a loophole around tax as they always do.
    From the property investors I talked to it sounded like business as usual for them. A slower housing market has more of an impact leaving only the long term investors playing the game. The flippers might be driven back to the stockmarket for their quick buck?

Advanced Member

Great and thanks for this information. I can't for the life of me find the quote from that economist discussing houses falling in value when CGT gets introduced. Anyway great to see a different outcome scenario

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    Great and thanks for this information. I can't for the life of me find the quote from that economist discussing houses falling in value when CGT gets introduced. Anyway great to see a different outcome scenario
    Sorry I know it's on the wrong thread... just remember they invented economists to make weather forecasters look good ....... Here is the article you are thinking about . Lets see who's right ....

https://www.westpac.co.nz/rednews/pr...ists-estimate/

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Sorry I know it's on the wrong thread... just remember they invented economists to make weather forecasters look good ....... Here is the article you are thinking about . Lets see who's right ....

......and the Westpac economists in particular make the weatherman look good

Forecasts based on which political barrow they pushing at the time thinking they can ‘sway’ the RBNZ and the government ...and we talk about bias from businesses in the confidence surveys
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post

Thanks again!! Yes let’s see who is correct. Only time will tell who is correct and if the government vote for CGT.

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    I am somewhat sceptical of a CGT making a huge impact.
    So you have to pay tax on your profit - it is profit, and I am sure those with a lot at stake will have a loophole around tax as they always do.
    From the property investors I talked to it sounded like business as usual for them. A slower housing market has more of an impact leaving only the long term investors playing the game. The flippers might be driven back to the stockmarket for their quick buck?
    As usual. It does not affect investors with a deep pocket much. CGT did not dent the Sydney and Melbourne's housing market... In fact I would pay close attention to the immigration policy than anything re demand for houses.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    As usual. It does not affect investors with a deep pocket much. CGT did not dent the Sydney and Melbourne's housing market... In fact I would pay close attention to the immigration policy than anything re demand for houses.
    A proposed CGT did Labour no good at the last 3 elections. Dropped by Mr Little after 2014, then sort of proposed in 2017 by Ms Ardern then dropped by a Captain's Call until post 2020.

With some 600,000 private rentals in NZ that is a lot of impacted people, including tenants facing increased rents.

Agree with watching immigration levels, but also watch sales of new build / off the plan apartments esp in Auckland. In recent years many if not most have become rentals. Will that continue?

None of this CGT and housing shortage on this thread please

Back on topic — SUM will continue to build heaps of retirement units and continue to make heaps of money

Why complicate matters with a lot of noise.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    None of this CGT and housing shortage on this thread please

Back on topic — SUM will continue to build heaps of retirement units and continue to make heaps of money
    Why complicate matters with a lot of noise.
    Why? Because the property market is complex, with many levers and facets. Retirement property providers are part of that market. Some might think understanding wider market issues is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Why? Because the property market is complex, with many levers and facets. Retirement property providers are part of that market. Some might think understanding wider market issues is useful.
    So sorry ......