sharetrader
Page 660 of 970 FirstFirst ... 160560610650656657658659660661662663664670710760 ... LastLast
Results 6,591 to 6,600 of 9700
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAC View Post
    Oh damn, someone must have gotten the requirements of the area before wanting to go with 7 stories....
    I agree. It sounds a little weird to ask consent for a seven story build, when the height restriction is three stories....

Quote Originally Posted by LAC View Post
    Oh damn, someone must have gotten the requirements of the area before wanting to go with 7 stories....

They might be trying to use the old contrast effec. Limit of 3, apply for 7 knowing it’ll get refused and get accepted with 4 and makes you look very reasonable and accomodating coming all the way down from 7. Just a possibility.

as a young spring chicken I would hate living in a high rise building and I know everyone is different but I’m highly surprised those much older than me most likely with health or mobility issues would be keen on them, even with decent elevators.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtech View Post
    Summerset's application to build a seven-storey, 344-unit retirement village on a 2.6ha site in St Johns, Auckland has been declined.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12098002

According to the article, the height limit is three storeys. I wonder if Summerset will try to get a lower village through - say four or five storeys? Or would the numbers be uneconomical?

*Edit: Or they may appeal the decision I suppose
    Interestingly - the supplied picture shows only a five (not a seven, as reported) storey building ...

Maybe somebody involved in the story can only count to two and mixes up the higher numbers ;D;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Interestingly - the supplied picture shows only a five (not a seven, as reported) storey building ...

Maybe somebody involved in the story can only count to two and mixes up the higher numbers ;D;
    The other two could be in the basement for those that want affordable retirement housing?

Last nights news contained a clip of the expansion of robots into everyday life. Unfortunately the example they used which I found a little disturbing was of a talking robot being used at a Summerset village to lead an exercise class. Surely they can afford to pay a person to do this for goodness sake. Not impressed.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

NZ Herald may have mixed up the pictures ... it would not be the first time

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Last nights news contained a clip of the expansion of robots into everyday life. Unfortunately the example they used which I found a little disturbing was of a talking robot being used at a Summerset village to lead an exercise class. Surely they can afford to pay a person to do this for goodness sake. Not impressed.
    Couldn't agree more. I remember visiting my father in law who had dementia in a very depressing rest home years ago in the middle of an exercise class ( before we were able to find a much better place for him). The thought of a robot running an exercise class for some of our most vulnerable is dystopian. What our elderly need more of is, human interaction, engagement, warmth, they're not just commodities.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I remember visiting my father in law who had dementia in a very depressing rest home years ago in the middle of an exercise class ( before we were able to find a much better place for him). The thought of a robot running an exercise class for some of our most vulnerable is dystopian. What our elderly need more of is, human interaction, engagement, warmth, they're not just commodities.
    Exactly, SUM have let the team down here.

STOP the beat-up ... Shareprice started already to drop. Need to sell out fast ;

But seriously - while I haven't seen the report - I can't really imagine that this was supposed to show the future for SUM's age care.

And - if you think about it ... there is a lot of work in age care which could be taken over by robots only to relieve human carers and allow them to spend more quality time with their patients. I am thinking of e.g. cleaning, food preparation, moving patients (obviously all overseen by humans). Looking at the last point (moving patients) - there are currently hardly any nurses or age care workers without back problems (due to shifting too heavy patients). Wouldn't it be wonderful to have robots helping them with this activity?

True - not sure, whether fitness trainer is one of these positions where I would see a robot an ideal supporter, but than - its probably a good demonstration of a robots capability and mobility. As well - the robot could go through the program for the group while a human trainer would have than more time to focus on individual issues with the exercises. So - while potentially not the best example ... I can see potential benefits - and could take the whole thing with a bit of humor - can't you?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

STOP the beat-up ... Shareprice started already to drop. Need to sell out fast ;

But seriously - while I haven't seen the report - I can't really imagine that this was supposed to show the future for SUM's age care.

And - if you think about it ... there is a lot of work in age care which could be taken over by robots only to relieve human carers and allow them to spend more quality time with their patients. I am thinking of e.g. cleaning, food preparation, moving patients (obviously all overseen by humans). Looking at the last point (moving patients) - there are currently hardly any nurses or age care workers without back problems (due to shifting too heavy patients). Wouldn't it be wonderful to have robots helping them with this activity?

True - not sure, whether fitness trainer is one of these positions where I would see a robot an ideal supporter, but than - its probably a good demonstration of a robots capability and mobility. As well - the robot could go through the program for the group while a human trainer would have than more time to focus on individual issues with the exercises. So - while potentially not the best example ... I can see potential benefits - and could take the whole thing with a bit of humor - can't you?
    As long as they aren’t imported robots ...got to keep immigration numbers down
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”