sharetrader
Page 421 of 970 FirstFirst ... 321371411417418419420421422423424425431471521921 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,210 of 9698
    Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Cool A point of order

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Got a free lesson today in not counting your chickens until they hatch...suppose it could have been worse and speaking of chickens bought Tegal shares instead

Anyway as Hoop quite rightly says, this is a terrific long term hold stock and that's exactly the reason I topped up so short term price aberrations (random walk theory) don't phase me too much.
    I think what my learned colleague is trying to say is not that he abandoned all reason and bought shares in Tegel per se, but that his action in buying shares yesterday in Summerset whilst not of immediate financial benefit to himself could have been of a more destructive nature, viz a viz, by a purely hypothetical purchase of shares in Tegel.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

percy

Lets hope for his sanity sake you are right PT.

I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but was looking at the recent result presentation & it left me confused.
    I saw NPAT was $145m, which included fair value gains of $143m How can you get excited about an organisation that only makes $2m from normal earnings ?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by kura View Post
    I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but was looking at the recent result presentation & it left me confused.
    I saw NPAT was $145m, which included fair value gains of $143m How can you get excited about an organisation that only makes $2m from normal earnings ?
    Think Ponzi schemes.
    Retirement company puts up capital for one village.
    Sells occupancy rights,taking developement margin.In profit already.
    Then uses that capital to build another village.Another profit.
    And so on, until it has a good number of villages, without having to front up with more capital.
    So towards the end of the day, the retirement company owns a great number of villages, all generating operating fees and more profits from resale of occupancy rights.
    And it is legal..
    Last edited by percy; 14-03-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Lightbulb The life-blood of every company

Quote Originally Posted by kura View Post
    If I may be so bold your 'ignorance' comes from not reading further into the accounts.

When you get to the Statement of Cash Flows you should at that point have a 'light bulb' moment.

[Note: This what percy said, but I said it differently]

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by James108 View Post
    Would be quite happy if some 'technical' sell signal was triggered and forced everyone that follows that sort of thing to get out at once.
    TA works the other way around James...TA is a discipline which indicates the mood of the people who buy and sell on the market...so... if mass 'technical' sell signal was triggered it would be due to many more investors wanting out than wanting in..... then those who follow that sort of thing (TAers including me) follow the herd out (Couta's Nervous Nellies Sheeples Brigade)
    Last edited by Hoop; 14-03-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    TA works the other way around James...TA is a discipline which indicates the mood of the people who buy and sell on the market...so... if mass 'technical' sell signal was triggered it would be due to many more investors wanting out than wanting in..... then those who follow that sort of thing (TAers including me) follow the herd out (Couta's Nervous Nellies Sheeples Brigade)
    Right.. so so in a perfect world (for me) some people sell -> signals triggered -> more people sell -> ????? -> profit

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    If you had your order in, you probably would have got it today... today's finish wasn't any higher than yesterdays 'absolute bargain last few minutes'... hmm
    Lol it did go through. We'll see. I'm pretty happy with this share as I think long term you can't really go wrong. I'm happy to buy up around $5.

Default Director buys - pass Go, collect 200

The old Trout purchased a not-insignificant personal holding yesterday too

https://www.nzx.com/companies/SUM/announcements/298268

I did too, but I won't be advising NZX

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Think Ponzi schemes.
    Retirement company puts up capital for one village.
    Sells occupancy rights,taking developement margin.In profit already.
    Then uses that capital to build another village.Another profit.
    And so on, until it has a good number of villages, without having to front up with more capital.
    So towards the end of the day, the retirement company owns a great number of villages, all generating operating fees and more profits from resale of occupancy rights.
    And it is legal..
    This is also why we should not expect high dividend payments from companies like SUM. Shareholders benefit more from the self-reinforcing cycle of cash left in the "scheme".