sharetrader
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: LPC

percy

[ Why do you think that cool stores are a so much better use of that land? Doesn't It all smell a bit fishy? ;-)

That was about when I bought in I think, amidst all the trouble. I may even be the owner of your old shares Percy!

SNOOPY.[/QUOTE]

Coolstores are a lot more profitable than fuel storage. More activity where LPC could clip the ticket.Good luck with my shares. lol
    The Timaru idea was only an idea of mine to wake up the oil companies to consolidate the huge area of land they take up.The area of land they take up is far more than they need.LPC under Layton would have found more profitable uses.That issue remains unresolved.
    Did Barney wear his grandfather's hat to the AGMs?
    Last edited by percy; 21-08-2010 at 01:43 PM.

percy

I have just read Margin Call by Nevil Gibson in NBR 20/8/2010.Headed Ports urged to end tea break."Parochial political considerations are holding back the economic efficiency of the port sector.relative performance has dropped compared with major Australian ports.His conclusions are likely to be agreed in private by those who run the ports-but not by their political owners"
    "While all ports companies are returning positive economic returns,Dr.Layton's analysis questions whether they have an adequate return on capital."
    Snoopy we may need the good Dr. to look at RYM accounts for us.now that would be fun.
    Last edited by percy; 23-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.

To paraphrase the article below; Big container ships should go to Lyttelton and not Otago.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-boost-economy

That'l make the Otago Regional Councilors drop their breakfast porridge on their sporans.

Boop boop de do

Marilyn

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Nevil Gibson in NBR 20/8/2010.Headed Ports urged to end tea break."Parochial political considerations are holding back the economic efficiency of the port sector.
    I see merger talks with POL have been 'reluctantly called off'.
    "Deputy Chairman Bill Luff says the earthquake has necessitated the company reviewing its short and long term asset management and development plans."

Huh? Isn't this exactly the time LPC and POL should be talking ? Why spend a fortune rebuilding duplicate facilities and then close half of them down. Can anyone make sense of this?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 01-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I see merger talks with POL have been 'reluctantly called off'.
    "Deputy Chairman Bill Luff says the earthquake has necessitated the company reviewing its short and long term asset management and development plans."

Huh? Isn't this exactly the time LPC and POL should be talking ? Why spend a fortune rebuilding duplicate facilities and then close half of them down. Can anyone make sense of this?

SNOOPY
    No surprises there.Halfwits make halfwited decisions.BRING BACK LAYTON>
    Snoopy.Parochial interests will always override comon sense.They will wake up when large ships call only on Port of Tauranga and do not bother to call on any south Island ports.Layton sees this.As you understand,why build whafes for no customers.It is called the Sundstrum syndrome.
    I am wrong ofcourse.Main hub port for south island will be Melbourne in Australia.
    Last edited by percy; 01-10-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: additional thoughts.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    To paraphrase the article below; Big container ships should go to Lyttelton and not Otago.
    The article estimated the cost of upgarding to 7,000 capacity container ships from 4500-5000 capacity container ships by 2015 as follows: POA $200m, POT $50m-$80m, LPC $40m-$80m, POL $100m. Intersting that LPC is potentially the lowest cost option. Anyone know why Otago would be so much more expensive to develop?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 01-10-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

It has long been held amongst the furious scribblers in the economic profession that a port has a significant multiplier effect on economic activity in its hinterland.

Both Lyttelton Port and Port Otago are controlled by territorial local authorities. These authorities have a duty to their constituents to be good stewards of the economic interest in their area.

For one of the authorities to yield to the trade enhancing development of a single port not in their area would be against the interests of their constituents.

Given the above I think it will be very difficult for this merger to proceed, and is the real reason for the breaking off of merger talks.

Or I could be completely wrong, the merger parties may be playing high stakes poker and each holds three aces.

Boop boop de do

Marilyn

PS Tony Curtis who played opposite my alter ego in the movie "Some Like It Hot" has just died. This movie is excellent with crackling wit. Worth a pluck from the shelf at the video store.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    It has long been held amongst the furious scribblers in the economic profession that a port has a significant multiplier effect on economic activity in its hinterland.

Both Lyttelton Port and Port Otago are controlled by territorial local authorities. These authorities have a duty to their constituents to be good stewards of the economic interest in their area.

For one of the authorities to yield to the trade enhancing development of a single port not in their area would be against the interests of their constituents.

Given the above I think it will be very difficult for this merger to proceed, and is the real reason for the breaking off of merger talks.

Or I could be completely wrong, the merger parties may be playing high stakes poker and each holds three aces.

Boop boop de do

Marilyn

PS Tony Curtis who played opposite my alter ego in the movie "Some Like It Hot" has just died. This movie is excellent with crackling wit. Worth a pluck from the shelf at the video store.
    MM. You are 100% right about local authorities.Otago guy would never get voted in again if he agreed Lyttelton should be major SI port and visa versa.Both would sooner miss out altogether.
    These huge ships will just go to Melbourne.
    You are also 100% right with "Some Like it Hot".Fantastic movie.You were great.{as was TC]

Possibly the only container port for very large container ships will be Marsden Point
    Possum The Cat

percy

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Possibly the only container port for very large container ships will be Marsden Point
    thanks possum,but thats not what it is about.it is about routes,schedules,fewer ports of call.Go to my post no.249 in this thread.the big ships will not bother with us.We have to consider they may call at one NZ port ,or just go to Melbourne.