sharetrader
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by neopoleII View Post
    ""I would be surprised if the news on the smoking ban is entirely accurate""

i assure you it is, the guys are very unhappy about it.
    an email to AWE should confirm it, as they are the operator and employ the crews.
    my mate is totally gutted.... a very fat salary and no boose or smokes.... the smokes being the addictive habit.
    he's started champex and feels awful, his wife (also a smoker) feels like a cat backed up in a closed ally...... very hard for are forced-to-be-non smoker to live with a smoker.
    there is a safe zone (was) for the crew to smoke but politics is brushing its tarred brush over all industry.
    Oz and NZ seem to be world leaders in forcing its society into political control..... whoops political correctness.
    NZOG just follows suit.
    Well i beg to differ. Pike got bombed out by smokers regardless of how the RC puts it and that took down Pike and lost NZOG about 150 million plus. The deepwater Horison fire has been said to have started with a smoker.So in total we just can not risk it. As with Pike it would be better to close it down if none smokers can not be found to run the Umuroa. A fire there and NZO will be as good as gone so the risk is just to great.
    Smoking is an addictive habit and those who suffer from it will just have to get employment where the risk of explosions are not present.
    digger

Agree with Digger, on the Umuroa or Platforms at sea, Body searches would be in order, seems a harsh take but in contrast to Pike it would be easier to implement.
    What is there in the meaning of NO SMOKING that is not understood here.

for the record.... i havent stated that banning smoking on the rigs is a good or bad thing, or that i agree or disagree, but i have stated that the crew is very miffed, and i have suggested that it could be politics.
    as for the smoking issue ...... a smoke is a little wrapped up piece of paper with tobacco in it that is burnt and inhaled.... so the harmful thing on the rig is the burning part.
    so cutting torches, oxy ceteleen, mig, arc and other welders and grinders which produce spark or flame are ok in the flamable environment... to be fair.... there are many things that can set of a fire before a ciggie can be blamed for it. but that is pc stuff right? and another note..... the modern pipes and chambers that are on a rig a fully enclosed environments... you wont see black oil sloshing the decks and gas permeating around the decks and hallways...... in these modern times now.

smoking in the bowls of a coalmine with gas sensors switched off and lack of ventilation is a totally different discussion.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by neopoleII View Post
    for the record.... i havent stated that banning smoking on the rigs is a good or bad thing, or that i agree or disagree, but i have stated that the crew is very miffed, and i have suggested that it could be politics.
    as for the smoking issue ...... a smoke is a little wrapped up piece of paper with tobacco in it that is burnt and inhaled.... so the harmful thing on the rig is the burning part.
    so cutting torches, oxy ceteleen, mig, arc and other welders and grinders which produce spark or flame are ok in the flamable environment... to be fair.... there are many things that can set of a fire before a ciggie can be blamed for it. but that is pc stuff right? and another note..... the modern pipes and chambers that are on a rig a fully enclosed environments... you wont see black oil sloshing the decks and gas permeating around the decks and hallways...... in these modern times now.

smoking in the bowls of a coalmine with gas sensors switched off and lack of ventilation is a totally different discussion.
    Neopole11 Your point is taken that you are merely stating that the smoking is banned and you are not taking a stand for either side. For me though this represents a very serious legal matter. After PIKE NZO has to be seen to do or be on the side of doing everything possible to protect the crew from all dangers even if the danger comes from one or more crew members.When it comes to the crunch NZO has to be seen to be cutting down on all possible sources of ignition even the welders and grinders you pointed out. Your point that it is a fully enclosed environment might be 99% true but as the deepwater Horison shows it is not always true and the legal people are on to you like a ton of bricks when something goes wrong and fingers can be pointed. It may very well be political correctness but that in court does not make it any less real.
    Thanks for bringing this issue up it need airing. I have now said my piece
    Cheers
    digger

Crikey! Things must be lean on the corporate front if we're still finding out who threw the stubs.

Snrs.
    As you kiwi says - crikey. The boat or rig men pay very much - so no smoke or lose boat.

Guru

Just curious -Is this the norm or the exception on off shore oil rigs

Guru

So I guess the question is Just how safe is smoking on the rig[in these special rooms] VS how much damage will the share price suffer if it is enforced

Default range bound shareprice

Since I am a truffle I was wondering what could raise the SP. Came up with the brilliant idea that what was probably needed was someone to buy the shares. I remembered the last buyback did work to a point as the SP did rise from IMO a low base. So I asked NZO if they were going to start one again. There response was:

"An update re the status of future buybacks is to be included in the 31 December 2012 Quarterly Report scheduled to be released on January 30 2013".

IMO of the opinion that another one will be announced to increase the SP which in turn will increase the chances the management options & partly paids will get in the money. Combined with hopefully news of the Kiasarn well spudding we might test the topside of the current trading range.

Quote Originally Posted by dsurf View Post
    Since I am a truffle I was wondering what could raise the SP. .
    Yes hopefully some good news next week if Kisaran gets started this weekend in Indonesia.

There is also Cosmos in Tunisia which was upgraded to 8.8m barrels, final investment decision due soon.

Is a truffle just a posh kind of mushroom?