sharetrader
Page 63 of 1791 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667731131635631063 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

It sure beats bleating on about PEAK OIL. Should make nzo a good trade next week i am picking. Macdunk

Quote Originally Posted by duncan macgregor View Post
    It sure beats bleating on about PEAK OIL. Should make nzo a good trade next week i am picking. Macdunk
    Hell, I thought that you would be down there with your bucket and spade. Another opportunity missed by the Macdunk man.
    Last edited by Toddy; 25-10-2007 at 03:24 PM.
    Toddy

Quote Originally Posted by shane_m View Post
    I am out until the investigation results ann, just minimizing risk.
    Man are you easily spooked or what ? Wouldn,t surprise me if the operator (AWE) has insurance to cover such a hiccup but at this stage we don't even know where the "oil balls" came from, could be local cow cocky gave the Hilux an oil n grease and flushed it all down the creek, cow cockies are known for such antics

You guys on here totally crack me up... LOL
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Quote Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
    My two cents on this is that these tar balls are shipping discharge from one of the numerous vessels that enter the Taranaki Port.

Reminds me of the old days in Bermuda when the beautiful pink beaches were an illusion because when you went to stand on the sand you sunk down into black tarry oil that had been illegally discarged by ships in the area.The hotels and motels had bottles of drycleaning fluid to use to clean your feet.

The international maritime union got onto it as it was becoming a problem worldwide and within a couple of years the problem was almost eliminated by heavily fining those vessels owners.

Oil has its own 'DNA' (Nickel : vanadium ratio) and the culprits were easily found.

This oil could be from anywhere but the source should be found with a good bit of detective work. My pick would be from a vessel and not associated with Tui ( a very light crude oil).

However it could have come from one of the support vessels or from the FPSO but my pick is from something else.

You have to be an optimist otherwise the world could get very bleak.
    I am with you on this Bermuda. People jump to conclusions on issues such as this one and without all the facts start pointing fingers :mad:

Tar balls on the beach can also be a natural phenomena ....eg Huntington Beach California has tar balls regularly and it is all because of the very shallow oil deposits.

In the same area a small oil slick was seen from the air and immediately the platform operator was accused of spilling oil. $5million later .... ooops an earthquake had opened a small fissure and released a trace of oil.

Lets not be too hastie in coming to conclusions.

Taranaki oil spill exposes southern oceans risk: Greens
    | Thursday, 25 October 2007

Email a Friend | Printable View | Have Your SayRelated Links
    • Subscribe to Archivestuff
    • Have your say

Advertisement

AdvertisementGreens Party co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons says a Taranaki oil spill should ring alarm bells in Government about the potential risks and costs of mooted oil exploration in the Great South Basin.

Work on cleaning up tar balls discovered on Tuesday on the Taranaki shore near Okato beach is continuing.

Taranaki Regional Council director of resource management Fred McLay said 10 workers had been working for two days to clean up the affected area.

Six cubic metres of oil contaminated sand had been collected and would be disposed of at a landfill, Mr McLay said.

Ms Fitzsimons said the risk of oil spillage from such explorations activities was real.

"The Taranaki contamination should be taken as wake-up call about what could happen on a far bigger scale, in a much more environmentally sensitive region in our southern oceans."

The Tui Area
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................

If it was from Tui then the spill would have been significant to the point that AWE would already have been aware of it. Its more likely someone like Digger dumping his used oil in an attempt to get a cheaper entry price.

I have said it in the past and although only a slight posibility is the potential for seismic activity to cause problems. There has been quite a bit lately although not in the Taranaki region

looks like it was from tui. release been made on the asx.
    -j

Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    looks like it was from tui. release been made on the asx.
    -j
    Im celebrating guys, we obviously have so much oil flowing about, we can't handle it!

Seriously, what sort of fines & compensation are we up for?

Yes it now looks likely. At least that reported the day of the event. Should it have been released to the market at the time.The report to the Maritime should have been released to the market because we dont know the extent of the problem. I believe it should have as it appears to have had a slight impact on the SP especially with AWE. Also if any fines are imposed etc then again it could have an impact on the SP.

So it wasnt digger after all

Advanced Member

looks like it was tui but that it was likely discharged by the umuroa as contaminated dischared water from the tui field. I mean i wish people read the entire ann before jumping to conclusions such as 6 cubic meters of oil as oposed to the 6 cubic meters of oily sand. Just if you comment on the ann announcing something make sure you have read the ann properly.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils