sharetrader
Page 135 of 174 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1740
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    True - carbon footprint is an issue in the absence of more efficient engines.

The related Food and produce miles is a big thing according to friends in the UK. How far does your food have to travel before reaching your plate? That would seem to work against NZ freight exports. However presumably it is not such a big thing for the current Conservative government as they have policies that will put up more barriers to trading with the EU, which is their largest and closest supplier of produce.
    Yep it is becoming a big thing, wine, meat etc will eventually suffer.
    In terms of tourists there already quite a few in the more enlightened countries (Scandinavia, Netherlands etc) that are swearing off air travel. Might just be a fad with all the GretaThunberg brigade, or it might become a proper thing.

flight shaming' is definitely a thing and growing. I was at an event recently outside Ankor Wat and a few of the Scandinavians and Germans told me they were there on the sly as they would be flight shamed for taking a vacation half way around the world. I laughed initially but they assured me its becoming quite serious.

I won't buy AIA on principal, one of the worst airports in the world for systems, public relations, directions, amenities, prices, personnel etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
    flight shaming' is definitely a thing and growing. I was at an event recently outside Ankor Wat and a few of the Scandinavians and Germans told me they were there on the sly as they would be flight shamed for taking a vacation half way around the world. I laughed initially but they assured me its becoming quite serious.

I won't buy AIA on principal, one of the worst airports in the world for systems, public relations, directions, amenities, prices, personnel etc.
    Worth a read

https://www.oag.com/how-green-is-you...7-c94cd3379600
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Pilots Association man says runway condition a big worry and needs fixing big time ..on radio this morning

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
    flight shaming' is definitely a thing and growing. I was at an event recently outside Ankor Wat and a few of the Scandinavians and Germans told me they were there on the sly as they would be flight shamed for taking a vacation half wayaround the world. I laughed initially but they assured me its becoming quite serious.

It is quite ironic as Europeans established their far flung Empires creating massive overseas trade and population links. I wonder how long Northern Europeans will put up without enjoying their package holidays to the Mediterranean? The Cornish Riviera anyone? I guess the Germans could bail out Greece again, if it gets fewer Northern European tourist dollars as a result of the effect of flight shaming?

I have always had a good experience at AIA - I have had worse times at overseas airports. I think I remain critical as a customer despite being a share holder.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-02-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Advanced Member

The Cornish Riviera anyone?
    Yes please, can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Pilots Association man says runway condition a big worry and needs fixing big time ..on radio this morning
    Poor example of monopoly charging like a wounded bull and not even getting the basics right. Domestic terminal has deteriorated to a disgraceful standard and just like the runway the carpark is breaking apart all over the place and they have the nerve to charge over $50 a day just to park within a few minutes walk to the domestic terminal. No wonder the airlines are complaining about landing fees, I'm certainly not impressed with fees they charge me for my car !
    Last edited by Beagle; 21-02-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Yes please, can't beat it.
    You must have had a different experience to mine! Nice villages but Jumpers in June!
    Last edited by Bjauck; 21-02-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Advanced Member

You must have had a different experience to mine! Nice villages but Jumpers in June!
    I am from there, love the wild weather, very atmospheric place

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    I am from there, love the wild weather, very atmospheric place
    Ratkin, You ever been to Percuil …. just down the road from Portscatho …. or across the river from St Mawes
    Last edited by winner69; 22-02-2020 at 10:06 AM.