sharetrader
Page 142 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1740
    Dilettante

This is very sad to see https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12319973
    I think now is exactly the right time to use some of the Government's money that they are pouring into the economy to get a move on and build the 2nd runway at AIA. When is there a better time than now when there are hardly any planes or other traffic there and the Government wants to ensure ongoing employment ? This is critical infrastructure that should be built right now

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is very sad to see https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12319973
    I think now is exactly the right time to use some of the Government's money that they are pouring into the economy to get a move on and build the 2nd runway at AIA. When is there a better time than now when there are hardly any planes or other traffic there and the Government wants to ensure ongoing employment ? This is critical infrastructure that should be built right now
    Postponing the second runway and new hotel etc is the right thing to do. Repairing the main runway should be priority whilst movements are reduced.

There will be a recession, which would affect numbers travelling anyway. After a protracted period of travelling restrictions, consumer preferences may shift. Even after the epidemic subsides, There will likely be apprehension related to prolonged flights after so many diseased travellers were infected whilst travelling and then arrived back into NZ. The long-term effect on passenger air travel is unknown at this stage.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 26-03-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Postponing the second runway and new hotel etc is the right thing to do. Repairing the main runway should be priority whilst movements are reduced.

There will be a recession, which would affect numbers travelling anyway. After a protracted period of travelling restrictions, consumer preferences may shift. Even after the epidemic subsides, There will likely be apprehension related to prolonged flights after so many diseased travellers were infected whilst travelling and then arrived back into NZ. The long-term effect on passenger air travel is unknown at this stage.
    The main runway obviously needs to be repaired, COVID or no COVID. That's a safety issue and it should have not gotten to this stage. Disagree about the 2nd runway. Time to lift much of NZ's pathetic infrastructure to a much higher level.

Veteran novice

The main runway obviously needs to be repaired, COVID or no COVID. That's a safety issue and it should have not gotten to this stage. Disagree about the 2nd runway. Time to lift much of NZ's pathetic infrastructure to a much higher level.
    If only. Unfortunately, construction activity is incompatible with the intent of the lockdown, i.e. to reduce contact within the wider community for a period of time. Incidentally, completion of Transmission Gully highway has also been halted, again. And if ever infrastructure was needed, this piece is!

Although not specifically mentioned, I've heard from my contacts this halt on capex projects will extend to the ZQN airport also.

Guru

They referred only to suspension not cancellation. Why build something to the same previous timetable if it may not be needed after all or if the need for may be delayed by some years.

Similarly for roads, a good thing to come out of the action taken to combat the epidemic may be that many more people work and are educated from home, resulting in less peak time demand on the road network. Let’s hope there will less need to bulldoze roads through town and country.

Incidentally, completion of Transmission Gully highway has also been halted, again. And if ever infrastructure was needed, this piece is!
    I thought it was a bit quiet at home, thanks, now I know why! And I agree, it was a very much needed road.

Advanced Member

Very positive news from AIA. The global travel industry is not going to ramp up to previous levels for a very long time so why commit billions at such a time on uncertainty.

People normally book flight well in advance and people will not even be thinking about travel until this is over. By then there may be far fewer travel agents and airlines, fewer tourist attractions the works. It will be well into 2021 maybe even later before we are back to normal levels.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    Although not specifically mentioned, I've heard from my contacts this halt on capex projects will extend to the ZQN airport also.
    And hopefully Wanaka!!

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Very positive news from AIA. The global travel industry is not going to ramp up to previous levels for a very long time so why commit billions at such a time on uncertainty.

People normally book flight well in advance and people will not even be thinking about travel until this is over. By then there may be far fewer travel agents and airlines, fewer tourist attractions the works. It will be well into 2021 maybe even later before we are back to normal levels.
    I'm a bit surprised that the price has bounced back by as much as it has.

Do people really think that NZs borders are going to reopen in 4 weeks time? IMHO we will almost certainly drop from alert level 4 to 3 but the borders will remain closed weeks or months longer. It makes no sense to go into lockdown and get it under control (i.e. stop the community transmission) then to reopen the borders and invite another surge of cases.

How long can AIA last without additional funding or government support if the shutdown continues longer than 4 weeks is the question i am asking?