sharetrader
Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1311

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    . That is hefty. Would make it more worthwhile getting a taxi or Uber. All part of the expense of travelling. Land is expensive in Auckland and consequently car parking is expensive. Time for Auckland to get serious about public transport links to the airport and reduce the demand for private car parking?
    AIA parking is strictly for those who want the convenience of parking as close as possible to the terminal. All about demand and supply, and convenience.

There's actually plenty of parking around the area (e.g. Aeroparks charges $30 for first day, $33 for 2 days and $39 for 3 days etc, cheaper as it goes for more and more days.

A shuttle bus takes users to and fro the carpark to the terminal every 10 minutes - and the terminal is but 5 minutes away.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    AIA parking is strictly for those who want the convenience of parking as close as possible to the terminal. All about demand and supply, and convenience.

There's actually plenty of parking around the area (e.g. Aeroparks charges $30 for first day, $33 for 2 days and $39 for 3 days etc, cheaper as it goes for more and more days.

A shuttle bus takes users to and fro the carpark to the terminal every 10 minutes - and the terminal is but 5 minutes away.
    Exactly. You pay for the convenience of parking close to the terminal and you pay for the opportunity cost of preventing others from parking close to the terminal. It is a valuable space that you choose to occupy. Just like you would expect to pay more for a section in Parnell compared to the same sized section in Papakura.

Veteran novice

Just another example of one man's shrewd investment being another man's "extortion". I'm with the former here.

The closing price for this monopoly is all time high, I just wondering they may consider of having another share split.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The closing price for this monopoly is all time high, I just wondering they may consider of having another share split.

Yes what's driving this price increase?
    Happy holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Happy holder.
    The fact it is a monopoly. It would all change if another airport was in Auckland.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Why?

I can't see any point in a share split. Shouldn't we instead want to see a few big numbers on the NZX? Other bourses aren't shy about having $100 + equivalent stocks.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Why?

I can't see any point in a share split. Shouldn't we instead want to see a few big numbers on the NZX? Other bourses aren't shy about having $100 + equivalent stocks.
    One observation is that New Zealanders perceive anything over $5 per share as expensive, and to be avoided.

Another is that more on issue shares enhances liquidity - I think Infratil mentioned this a decade or so ago.

Default Recent share price surge

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Happy holder.
    As a longtime holder of AIA and my perspective from the U.S., I offer the following observation. The uncertainty of China - U.S. trade (ie tariffs, the 5G confrontation, China's man made militarized islands, & Hong Kong takeover ambitions) favors an increase trade, air traffic, in both New Zealand and Australia (got milk?).
    Secondly, Europe's loss of tourist appeal (safety concerns) by the U.S. and many others, enhances New Zealand safe destination appeal.
    AIA's buildout is already pushing the share price.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 25-06-2019 at 02:50 AM.
    Dick

Now that AIA has stayed above $9 for awhile, will they split the shares again ?
    If I remember correctly, it was 5 for 1 before.

Quote Originally Posted by limmy View Post
    Now that AIA has stayed above $9 for awhile, will they split the shares again ?
    If I remember correctly, it was 5 for 1 before.
    Closed at $9.80. It is now the second biggest in the NZX behind Meridian energy

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    As a longtime holder of AIA and my perspective from the U.S., I offer the following observation. The uncertainty of China - U.S. trade (ie tariffs, the 5G confrontation, China's man made militarized islands, & Hong Kong takeover ambitions) favors an increase trade, air traffic, in both New Zealand and Australia (got milk?).
    Secondly, Europe's loss of tourist appeal (safety concerns) by the U.S. and many others, enhances New Zealand safe destination appeal.
    AIA's buildout is already pushing the share price.
    Really..after ChCh is NZ still regarded as a safe haven? Considering our small population and the mass casualty event we suffered, I imagine many European countries would now have a safer record.

Do Americans consider that Europe is less safe than their own country? Taking into account mass shootings, gun crime, stabbings and risk of terrorism, I would think that the USA is more unsafe. Obviously it depends whereabouts in Europe and whereabouts in the USA you would intend to travel.

AIA is an excellent stock to own in an excellent country, NZ.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by limmy View Post
    AIA is an excellent stock to own in an excellent country, NZ.
    Undoubtedly AIA has been an excellent share to own. Those Canadians may be kicking themselves that they could not grab it? I am certainly kicking myself for having sold down. At least AIA has been a good company that remained on the NZX.

Kudos too for NZ if it has been able to maintain a safe haven appeal despite events, both at the hand of man and not. NZ managed to foster a “100% pure image”. Marketing bluster? Image and reality for various people can diverge.

As far as being at risk from humans is concerned:
    (approximately)
    Europe has a homicide rate of 3/100,000 people.
    USA has a rate of 5.3/100,000 and
    NZ has a rate of 1/100,000

Within Europe many countries are safer than NZ. The following have lower murder rates than NZ: Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Switzerland.

So both NZ and Europe (especially some nations in Europe) would be safer havens for Americans. Of course within those countries the actual experience of various communities would differ from average as would the experience of those who were non-fatally injured at the hand of another person.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate

I think it is immigration that has and is providing a substantial stimulation for AIA. NZ (and especially Auckland) immigration has been and is at a level that would probably surprise many a Trumpist or Brexiter. New immigrants favour Auckland where there is a cosmopolitan community. New NZers are often wealthier and younger than the average NZer and will travel overseas more frequently. They also have family overseas who want to visit them in Auckland. This all is grist to the AIA mill.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 27-06-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Massive volume going through AIA - 7m shares so far.

Looks like heading back to $10.00