sharetrader
Page 7 of 174 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

how can they bid for 40% only - do they need shareholder approval for that as it's in the 20-50% "no fly" zone?

Bizarrely, it values AIA at less than their initial offer. This sounds like the way I buy a car:

Me: What's the asking price?
    Dealer: 20 grand
    Me: Hmmm, I'll give you 18-five
    Dealer: Okay... we can probably do 19
    Me: Sorry that was my best offer. Now I'm offering 18.

They want this thing put to shareholders. Here's the question: If the last offer was a sh*t sandwich, what makes them think this reduced offer will be any more attractive to directors??

Is it 1 April?
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
    Bizarrely, it values AIA at less than their initial offer. This sounds like the way I buy a car:

Me: What's the asking price?
    Dealer: 20 grand
    Me: Hmmm, I'll give you 18-five
    Dealer: Okay... we can probably do 19
    Me: Sorry that was my best offer. Now I'm offering 18.

They want this thing put to shareholders. Here's the question: If the last offer was a sh*t sandwich, what makes them think this reduced offer will be any more attractive to directors??

Is it 1 April?
    Placebo, did you get the car?
    Toddy

Default Why sell at these levels ???

I think the market is being overly skeptical here. 315 is a massive discount to the potential offer price. The Canadians must be laughing out loud while still hoovering up all the shares at these prices. Am I right in thinking they can just keep buying all the way up to 19.99% without having to make a formal offer ?? They obviously aren't walking away, they must love the long term prospects for AIA , can't quite understand why people are bailing on millions of shares at these prices ....

Advanced Member

It was rather bizarre that the price fell back so much last week. Foreigners were queuing up to buy in the 3.50 plus range yet kiwi investors didnt want to pay more than 2.80. Typical of our market.

I don't think the Canadians can buy any shares on market anymore. My understanding was that because they have already done due diligence on the company they are now in possession of inside information which means they are only allowed to buy through a takeover offer.

Yes Rymndchn-They cannot buy after doing due diligence. Perhaps the current price reflects the lack of confidence punters have in the deal happening at all.I think Morrison will block it some how.

It will be interesting to see who has picked up the 21m shares traded so far today.

I heard Winnie the Pooh on the news rabbiting on about how New Zealanders should not sell.

I guess that he has put his money where his mouth is and has bought up large.
    Last edited by Toddy; 07-11-2007 at 04:16 PM.
    Toddy

Unhappy

See they want a staggering 74% increase in directors fees on top of the 18% they got last year. Should be pegged to revenue growth or some other measure of how they are running the company, and I do mean "running it", not putting it up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    It will be interesting to see who has picked up the 21m shares traded so far today.

I heard Winnie the Pooh on the news rabbiting on about how New Zealanders should not sell.

I guess that he has put his money where his mouth is and has bought up large.
    Did he now? I remember Auntie Helen getting herself in trouble when she told people not to sell when Air NZ got itself in strife over Ansett..., but guess that was different given the govt was a major holder...

The politicians should keep their snouts out of business
    Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence