sharetrader
Page 87 of 174 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Charlies used the expression step change in their result yesterday , must be the new buzzword
    At least they didn't use 'pivot' which is being used a lot in the tech industry. "what we were doing was making no money so we have changed to something else" just doesn't really have the same ring as Pivot.
    Free delivery worldwide with Book Depository http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

Veteran novice

There appears to be a complete lack of interest in AIA's result. "Underlying" profit up a solid 15%, a bit better than previous guidance and prospects of an even better year coming up. Taking revaluations into account for statutory profit reporting purposes shows a staggering 200%+ increase but of course that includes revaluations of properties and reverses the downward adjustment in the previous year.

Market seems unimpressed too - in marked contrast to the furore created a few years ago when it looked for a time that the company was to be sold to the Canadians!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10746882
    Last edited by macduffy; 23-08-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Add link

percy

Well I thought it was a good result.Pleased with it. Was surprised with the big increases in international travellers at both Cairns and Queenstown airports.

Totally agree, I thought this was a very good result, good outlook and was waiting for a jump in the share price.... still waiting

Any chance of another takeover bit any time soon? Surely that would boost the price to over $3 easy.

Cool

This baby is going up and up up

Veteran novice

I'd agree with you there, belgy. One swallow - or in this case one week's passenger movements - do not a summer - or an investment case make. I'd join you in lightening off a few AIA but I still regard them as one of NZX's better companies and not sure I'd buy them back much cheaper. So I'll save the brokerage.

percy

I thought it was surprising that they bet world cup figures.Most impressed. One of the few companies on NZX with a deep moat.The large land bank guarantees future growth.Gateway to NZ.It is certainly in a very strong up trend,so I am happy to hold.

Advanced Member

Yep , they one of the safest long term bets , hence the high p/e. Future looks very bright , sooner or later there will be a rail link up which will help .
    Its no wonder the canadians were so keen to pay well over 3.00 a few years back

What I don't understand is how, despite record traffic, ASB's analyst actually down graded AIA's price from $2.15 to $2.00
    The share sure fluctuates quite a bit in the past few weeks, from as low as $2.33 to a recent high of $2.59
    Not sure if it's a good investment for potential takeover, as the bulk of the share is held by city councils and they might not be so keen on giving up their cash cow. The politicians certainly don't seem to know how to make their capitals work for them and expect dividend and rate increase to continue to cover their increasing spendings.