sharetrader
Page 88 of 174 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by Animeart View Post
    What I don't understand is how, despite record traffic, ASB's analyst actually down graded AIA's price from $2.15 to $2.00
    The share sure fluctuates quite a bit in the past few weeks, from as low as $2.33 to a recent high of $2.59
    Not sure if it's a good investment for potential takeover, as the bulk of the share is held by city councils and they might not be so keen on giving up their cash cow. The politicians certainly don't seem to know how to make their capitals work for them and expect dividend and rate increase to continue to cover their increasing spendings.
    On PE and yield ASB analyst probably right.Respected posters belgarion and Macduffy feel the share price is too high.
    I have POT which is trading just over $10 and I think ASB analyst values it at $6 something.
    The answer is in ratkin's post,which was the one before yours .ie post No.893.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Animeart View Post
    What I don't understand is how, despite record traffic, ASB's analyst actually down graded AIA's price from $2.15 to $2.00
    The share sure fluctuates quite a bit in the past few weeks, from as low as $2.33 to a recent high of $2.59
    Not sure if it's a good investment for potential takeover, as the bulk of the share is held by city councils and they might not be so keen on giving up their cash cow. The politicians certainly don't seem to know how to make their capitals work for them and expect dividend and rate increase to continue to cover their increasing spendings.
    ASB valuations are from morning star , which really means Huntleys. They have shown in recent years to be totally unreliable , their valuations fairly meaningless. In addition i have a feeling their valuation of 2.00 is actually australian dollars , even though part way through the report it does say NZ dollars
    Basically any share being hammered ends up with a buy rating , as they see it as cheap due to price changes , while any share that shoots up ends up being a hold or reduce. Im sure you can all see this isnt totally logical

Veteran novice

Quite so, ratkin.

A few years ago I had a short term Huntleys subscription - quite expensive - but didn't renew largely for the reason you mention. They appeared to work too closely to their valuations for stocks and would slap a Sell on quality companies far too soon for my liking. Equally, what turned out to be dogs, or at least non performers, became Buys on the way down, sometimes with disastrous results. No consideration given to basic Technical Analysis, as far as I could tell.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Quite so, ratkin.

A few years ago I had a short term Huntleys subscription - quite expensive - but didn't renew largely for the reason you mention. They appeared to work too closely to their valuations for stocks and would slap a Sell on quality companies far too soon for my liking. Equally, what turned out to be dogs, or at least non performers, became Buys on the way down, sometimes with disastrous results. No consideration given to basic Technical Analysis, as far as I could tell.
    Classic example was ABC learning , think they had a valuation of 8.00 on it as it plummeted all the way down to a dollar . the more it fell the more a screaming buy it looked according to huntlesys.
    Then when a stock does this they quietly cease coverage of it and remove it from their portfoios , so it dosent show up as a negative. Probably not the only ones who do this , but they charge large subscription and can appear to know what they are talking about , in reality im not sure they do.

Anybody who uses ASB securities have these reports for free, but i wouldnt advice allowing their valuations sway your opinion of a stock , one way or the other
    Last edited by ratkin; 26-01-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Advanced Member

one way to find out would be to take huntleys up on their free trial and see what valuation they have on aia

http://www.morningstar.com.au/

Veteran novice

Not a lot of interest in AIA these days but NPAT up 41% and dividend increased.

I hold.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10830452

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Not a lot of interest in AIA these days but NPAT up 41% and dividend increased.

I hold.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10830452

This was one of stolwyks old favourites .....along with SKC he called them the twin sisters

He would have been pleased with how they have performed over the last few years ......he might have ramped the share price up a few cents more .....that was stolwyk for you .....bless his soul

Stolwyk still near the top of the ladder for the number of posts .....shows you how busy he was

Veteran novice

Still not much interest in AIA, despite SP at 12 month highs!

Makeover of the domestic terminal to start soon - not before time IMO!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10863695

I hold.

I've had these since the IPO - never seen a reason to offload them because they pay good dividends

Hoping that Hobbit-fever will raise passenger numbers a little!