sharetrader
Page 92 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    So major share holder is Auckland city...right ?
    Now....I wonder if these shares...and those of the port...are up for sale when they need to fund their infrastructure plans ?
    AIA has been a great investment for me since the AIA IPO years and years ago. Great dividends, no fuss, huge land holdings with appreciate along with the customer numbers and revenue.

If it was sufficiently discounted for current holders I would get on board...

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Not a lot said about AIA on these threads at present but it's interesting to note that the SP is around 12 month highs. OK, so are a lot of other stocks...........

Since you're bored with nothing to read on this thread, here are a few snippets I got from listening to Henry Van der Hayden, soon to be AIA Chairman, at a conference a couple of weeks ago. It is mostly related to AIA so hope people don't mind me posting it here. Its is in no particular order, just based on what I scribbled down listening to his address (the other half of it was about dairy and other trade with China):

# Today there are around 2B people belonging to the middle class that airlines and airports try to cater for as new customers
    # In 2030, this is expected to rise to 4.9B people of which 65% will be in Asia
    # China is currently the 2nd largest markets of travelers to NZ, growing at 30% p.a.
    # Surprisingly, visitor numbers to NZ are static, with China/Asia growth only matching losses in visitors from USA and Europe
    # Percentage of Chinese travelers that want to visit NZ is going down from where it was a few years ago, so work is needed on better marketing
    # Each extra wide body plane that starts flying to NZ, brings around NZ$ 200 million economic benefit (I assume he was talking p.a.) on average
    # AIA strategy is to coordinate with tourism industry and Air NZ to work together to increase visitor numbers
    # AIA supports and pushes for further ease of travel arrangements (quick or no Visas) to make visiting NZ easier, especially for Asians
    # AIA would love to see Auckland as a hub for travel between Asia and South America and is doing some feasibility studies of this if I understood correctly.

Veteran novice

Thanks for that, iceman. I remember reading some of those comments somewhere else recently so I guess Henry's address must have been reported. Actually, I wasn't bored so much as a bit surprised, given that the AIA SP was performing so well.

Like robbo, I've done very well out of AIA over the years so no complaints from me!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    # AIA would love to see Auckland as a hub for travel between Asia and South America and is doing some feasibility studies of this if I understood correctly.
    It won't be Cullen Airlines who provide this service, because this route is over water with no emergency divert airfields availiable the rulz sez that it con only be flown by four engined aicraft.

The only aircraft in Cullen Airlines fleet that can do this is the 747 which they are getting rid of.

Boop boop de do

Marilyn
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 25-09-2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    It won't be Cullen Airlines who provide this service, because this route is over water with no emergency divert airfields availiable the rulz sez that it con only be flown by four engined aicraft.

The only aircraft in Cullen Airlines fleet that can do this is the 747 which they are getting rid of.

Boop boop de do

Marilyn
    Last year I was involved in trying to fly Chinese staff from South America to China via NZ. The price of airfares with now only 1 airline flying between SA and NZ, as well as the very cumbersome transit visas for Chinese nationals in NZ, made it impossible. So we fly them via Europe. Using Auckland as a hub is a great idea and should be seriously looked into, but requires a lot of work I think.

Guru

Boop boop de do

Marilyn
    Not correct.EDTO ops are more complex than that. B773 can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Not correct.EDTO ops are more complex than that. B773 can do it.
    I assume the B773 route you tell of overflies airfields in the Polynesian Archipelago rather than the swing deep into the Southern Ocean used by current operators on Australasia South American routes?

Boop boop de do

Marilyn

Guru

I assume the B773 route you tell of overflies airfields in the Polynesian Archipelago rather than the swing deep into the Southern Ocean used by current operators on Australasia South American routes?

Boop boop de do

Marilyn
    Doesn't have fly over them, just be within 4 hrs of suitable airport along the route used.

You also have to account for cargo hold fire suppression whether 2 or 4 engines.

https://www.nzx.com/companies/AIA/announcements/244405

$454m capital return or 34 cps (fully imputed).

Well done, AIA!

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.nzx.com/companies/AIA/announcements/244405

$454m capital return or 34 cps (fully imputed).

Well done, AIA!
    A very pleasant surprise.
    Well done AIA.
    Better owning an airport than an airline?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.