sharetrader
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Wink Ports of Tauranga

THis stock has been absolutely trashed the last few weeks. Recent interim was pretty robust. Wondering if one of the large institutions is bailing. Huge volume on offer at the close , very unusual to see that sort of stuff out in the open in a stock like POT.

Disc: Purchased a few today near the close at $4.90

Don't like catching falling knives but these can go in the bottom drawer for the long term at these prices.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Gold Guru View Post
    This stock has been absolutely trashed the last few weeks. Recent interim was pretty robust. Wondering if one of the large institutions is bailing. Huge volume on offer at the close , very unusual to see that sort of stuff out in the open in a stock like POT.

Disc: Purchased a few today near the close at $4.90

Don't like catching falling knives but these can go in the bottom drawer for the long term at these prices.
    GGG, I trust you have seen my projected ten year return on this share over on the 'other channel'.

http://forum.sharechat.co.nz/showthr...7654#post17654

A share price fall to $4.90 has increased those projected returns to 7.1% per year after tax. That is an OK return but nothing to get really excited about when you look at the other bargains that are available in this market. $4.90 represents a PE ratio of 15.6 based on FY2008 earnings (FY2009 earnings are forecast to be similar). A PE multiple of 15 still requires some growth to be on the horizon. Where do you see the growth in the bulk export commodities markets GGG?

'In theory', NZ should be looking good in timber as our relative position to old soviet countries improves. But can we capture these overseas markets as soviet subsidies are removed? It doesn't matter how competitive you are in commodities if the demand for that commodity collapses.

In any straight earnings value analysis I can't name any period over the last five years where POT has been an obvious bargain. This doesn't mean POT has been a bad investment candidate though. The real value in POT has come from the increase in value of their land bank (13% per annum over the last nine years) as vacant land is developed into valuable cargo handling sites for their customers. But if demand for bulk commodities fails to increase who will want to buy and develop more of that land in the future? IMO and consummate with other listed property companies POT might be facing a multimillion dollar write down on the value of their land holdings. What would such a write down do to POT's debt equity position?

GGG, if this was a normal recession I would say what you have done by purchasing at $4.90 is just the right thing. Long term I think you will do O.K. whatever unfolds. But in this market I would be interested in getting an updated valuation on those POT owned properties before I bought into POT. My hunch is that over the next six months POT is headed lower than $4.90.

SNOOPY

discl: do not hold
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Default Director buying

One of the directors ( J Parker ) bought 8000 shares at $4.90 last week ... must have seen me buying and took the cue !! hahahaha

Positive news ... $40k investment

This stock seems to be on the up. ASB Securities value it at $13. Current price $14.34 and trending upwards. Is it the logs and dairy exports driving this?

I got an automated email from ANZ Securities/Direct Broking today:

POT.NZX has traded at or below 1300
    What? Something is wrong with their alerts 'cos today's range was 1435 to 1444c.

I love seeing old posts like above. If he's still sitting on those shares, he's looking at returns fo nearly 40% p.a and that's not even counting in the dividends. + it looks like he picked a bottom quite perfectly too. Haha good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrage View Post
    This stock seems to be on the up. ASB Securities value it at $13. Current price $14.34 and trending upwards. Is it the logs and dairy exports driving this?
    Hi Arbitrage,I live in Tauranga. There are log ships everywhere. It is not uncommon (at the top of the Mount which I walk often) to see them in anchored waiting to come in a free berth. Also up here you can see a vast number of logs all over the POT pier.

Other ports in the country are also in full swing of logs also.
    Cheers
    Last edited by blocker3; 18-05-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Its a pity we don't add value to the wood before export, however it must be helping POT's bottom line. However log exports might be levelling off a bit. The NZ Herald reports this morning: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11257866

Its a pity we don't add value to the wood before export, however it must be helping POT's bottom line. However log exports might be levelling off a bit. The NZ Herald reports this morning: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11257866
    yeah here in Gisborne, prime example of no added value to the logs except Juken. Apparently the volumes increasing significantly. Hopefully a foreign company will have a joint venture with local iwi to get more processing.
    Port of Tauranga a good stock to own and accumulate

Unfortunately GizyGold,Arbitrage we have seen sawn timber companies are closing down here in the BOP. Eg a few months ago Tachikawa in Rotorua.Sad to see.
    Last edited by blocker3; 20-05-2014 at 07:18 PM.