sharetrader
Page 572 of 764 FirstFirst ... 72472522562568569570571572573574575576582622672 ... LastLast
Results 5,711 to 5,720 of 7632

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    If K12 patent comes off in 2 years, then they could be in a pickle. Im not sure how much revenue comes just from k12.
    are any patents coming off other things soon ??

Disc. In the black :-)
    I agree that this is a concern. I think they have a few more years on the M18 patent but it's not a great position to be in. There are plenty of giants out there that would be capable of reproducing their products fairly quickly (if they were interested).

I'm curious about the status of the skin probiotic that has been in development for a while. If it prevents or decreases acne, we could be headed for a whole new ballgame.

Advanced Member

Last chance to vote by proxy for anyone who hasn't. Closes tomorrow morning at 11am.

An election is a great way of settling a matter because nobody can question the result. Win or lose, the voters have spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I agree that this is a concern. I think they have a few more years on the M18 patent but it's not a great position to be in. There are plenty of giants out there that would be capable of reproducing their products fairly quickly (if they were interested).

I'm curious about the status of the skin probiotic that has been in development for a while. If it prevents or decreases acne, we could be headed for a whole new ballgame.
    Interesting you said ‘if they were interested’

Appears as if no interest in this ‘science’ anyway?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by simla View Post
    More seriously, Winner, four of the current Board live in Dunedin and both the current candidates come from Dunedin. I think that we have to accept that a small company that meets in Dunedin (I assume) is not going to attract a lot of people from outside Dunedin. Flight time Auckland to Dunedin is 2 hours, often more, just one way, plus travel to and from airports. And much more from smaller cities.

Since Dunedin's population is less than 3% of NZ's population, it seems strange that the Board is opposing a capable candidate from there. Some people might think it a smart move to withdraw their opposition before the vote.
    Being Dunedin based was noted in that report re directors fees and given as one of the reasons why an increase was warranted.

Good lurk if Board meetings timed in conjunction with Ed Sheeran concerts or big rugby games.
    Last edited by winner69; 25-07-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Advanced Member

Proxy voting has closed. Time for one of my long posts? Tough, here it is anyway

I wonder if this vote is way deeper than just judging how the financials are going at BLT? Why is the company going to such lengths to reject Barry after so many years' service? What is the plan of the new management?

All over the world now it is quite evident that there is a deep rift in society. Trump. Brexit. Putin's Russia. Right wing parties in Europe. Even India is caught up in it trying to abolish cash in the face of traditional Indian culture.

How to characterise this deep rift? Well, I think of it as a battle over post-modernism (used in the broader sense than merely describing an art movement). It is the culmination of the Enlightenment which began in the 1600s as the Dark Ages slowly receded into history and then the rise of the City State made possible the idea of improving the lot of mankind instead of just endlessly living a daily grind of violence, poverty and disease. The idea took root that we could make the world a better place and this became an increasing focus of humanity over the centuries that followed. It is a good plan and has gained near universal adoption around the world.

But along the way a certain dotted line was passed that not everyone has since agreed on. Somewhere we changed from merely making the world a better place to making the world a perfect place. I think it probably happened over the last 60 or 70 years, partly as a reaction to World War 2, and partly as an offshoot of the incredible prosperity made possible by the widespread use of oil. Alongside it grew the idea of individualism, a long way from Kennedy's "think not what society can do for you". Social welfare flourished, and quality control is all the rage, along with championing the rights of the minority, hi tech, smartphones etc.

It is epitomised in modern-day Europe with EU government, Eurovision and the illegality of hate speech. Disneyland was an earlier version that still holds sway in Los Angelos and New York.

But underlying that dream are some awkward facts. Beggars are common throughout the prosperous West now. People live under bridges and in cars, and statistics are being massaged to hide some truths that aren't popular in some quarters.

Some of you will be aware of a place called Shadowstats, where US government statistics are available as they would have been calculated years ago before the formulas were changed to give nicer answers. That site tells us that US unemployment is reported today at 4% but would once have been counted at a staggering 22% with the old formula. US Inflation is reported at 3% but would have been reported at 6.5% - obviously incomes are not going up at 6.5% pa but costs are.

Underlying all of this is the ever more visible question: is the world actually a better place? Those who do well under the current system have voted against Brexit, for Hilary Clinton, etc - for the status quo in other words, presumably because they think it is going pretty well. Those who are not the winners have voted for Brexit and for Trump. This is possible because the number of losers is now so high that they can win elections. A recent poll in the UK, for instance, shows that 40% would now vote for a right wing anti-immigrant party, which would have been unthinkable a few years ago. So far this force does not seem to have arrived in a NZ political party but I suspect it will.

So how does all this apply to BLT? Well, I would offer the possibility that the same battle is being fought out at BLT. Barry was definitely of the "roll up your sleeves, muck and dirt" variety that believes that good results come from hard work and solid preparation. Whereas I think it is possible that the current management are from the European mold of sophistication, build it and they will come, marketing will create the market, the world should be a good place, good concepts become good reality.

Now the intriguing thing is that (presently at least) BOTH models are viable. Facebook prospers with the post-modernist model and the FAANGS are holding together the S&P 500. It DOES make money and it is an in demand model. On the other hand there is no denying that basics are in strong demand too. Supermarket in-store brands are flourishing, and the label brands are struggling to hold them off nowadays.

History appears to be at a balancing point and there is no knowing what the future will hold. Maybe both models will continue as viable, maybe one model will swamp the other. I think personally that Brexit models the situation very well. There is no telling which side will win in the short term, nor which side will represent the public mood in the end.

So is this what the vote is about at BLT right now? Does Barry represent the one model, and the new management are trying to switch BLT to the other model as being more appropriate and successful? I don't know and this is just my random musings. I think it is possible though. It would explain why they do not want Barry to join in.

However, if so, then the result would not be a vote on Barry or the Board but a vote on which model the company will pursue. Presumably Barry's time attracted a lot of shareholders who liked the one model but who may have left since then. And the new management style may have attracted a whole lot of newer shareholders who like the other model.

Friday will tell us the result, but not its meaning alas. These are musings, but their truth cannnot be known.

As always, merely my own random thoughts. I have tried not to portray either viewpoint as right. Obviously I personally have an opinion, but I never claim to be right and history is always the judge in the end. Or maybe I have just imagined all of this.

Some interesting thoughts Simla and I dont really know what to make of them all. But in all honesty from my side at least, at the end of the day, I would just like Blis to make some money and for the shareprice to not wallow below 3c for ever and a day. It is a good product that is trying to make the world a better place I think.

Quote Originally Posted by simla View Post
    Proxy voting has closed. Time for one of my long posts? Tough, here it is anyway

I wonder if this vote is way deeper than just judging how the financials are going at BLT? Why is the company going to such lengths to reject Barry after so many years' service? What is the plan of the new management?

All over the world now it is quite evident that there is a deep rift in society. Trump. Brexit. Putin's Russia. Right wing parties in Europe. Even India is caught up in it trying to abolish cash in the face of traditional Indian culture.

How to characterise this deep rift? Well, I think of it as a battle over post-modernism (used in the broader sense than merely describing an art movement). It is the culmination of the Enlightenment which began in the 1600s as the Dark Ages slowly receded into history and then the rise of the City State made possible the idea of improving the lot of mankind instead of just endlessly living a daily grind of violence, poverty and disease. The idea took root that we could make the world a better place and this became an increasing focus of humanity over the centuries that followed. It is a good plan and has gained near universal adoption around the world.

But along the way a certain dotted line was passed that not everyone has since agreed on. Somewhere we changed from merely making the world a better place to making the world a perfect place. I think it probably happened over the last 60 or 70 years, partly as a reaction to World War 2, and partly as an offshoot of the incredible prosperity made possible by the widespread use of oil. Alongside it grew the idea of individualism, a long way from Kennedy's "think not what society can do for you". Social welfare flourished, and quality control is all the rage, along with championing the rights of the minority, hi tech, smartphones etc.

It is epitomised in modern-day Europe with EU government, Eurovision and the illegality of hate speech. Disneyland was an earlier version that still holds sway in Los Angelos and New York.

But underlying that dream are some awkward facts. Beggars are common throughout the prosperous West now. People live under bridges and in cars, and statistics are being massaged to hide some truths that aren't popular in some quarters.

Some of you will be aware of a place called Shadowstats, where US government statistics are available as they would have been calculated years ago before the formulas were changed to give nicer answers. That site tells us that US unemployment is reported today at 4% but would once have been counted at a staggering 22% with the old formula. US Inflation is reported at 3% but would have been reported at 6.5% - obviously incomes are not going up at 6.5% pa but costs are.

Underlying all of this is the ever more visible question: is the world actually a better place? Those who do well under the current system have voted against Brexit, for Hilary Clinton, etc - for the status quo in other words, presumably because they think it is going pretty well. Those who are not the winners have voted for Brexit and for Trump. This is possible because the number of losers is now so high that they can win elections. A recent poll in the UK, for instance, shows that 40% would now vote for a right wing anti-immigrant party, which would have been unthinkable a few years ago. So far this force does not seem to have arrived in a NZ political party but I suspect it will.

So how does all this apply to BLT? Well, I would offer the possibility that the same battle is being fought out at BLT. Barry was definitely of the "roll up your sleeves, muck and dirt" variety that believes that good results come from hard work and solid preparation. Whereas I think it is possible that the current management are from the European mold of sophistication, build it and they will come, marketing will create the market, the world should be a good place, good concepts become good reality.

Now the intriguing thing is that (presently at least) BOTH models are viable. Facebook prospers with the post-modernist model and the FAANGS are holding together the S&P 500. It DOES make money and it is an in demand model. On the other hand there is no denying that basics are in strong demand too. Supermarket in-store brands are flourishing, and the label brands are struggling to hold them off nowadays.

History appears to be at a balancing point and there is no knowing what the future will hold. Maybe both models will continue as viable, maybe one model will swamp the other. I think personally that Brexit models the situation very well. There is no telling which side will win in the short term, nor which side will represent the public mood in the end.

So is this what the vote is about at BLT right now? Does Barry represent the one model, and the new management are trying to switch BLT to the other model as being more appropriate and successful? I don't know and this is just my random musings. I think it is possible though. It would explain why they do not want Barry to join in.

However, if so, then the result would not be a vote on Barry or the Board but a vote on which model the company will pursue. Presumably Barry's time attracted a lot of shareholders who liked the one model but who may have left since then. And the new management style may have attracted a whole lot of newer shareholders who like the other model.

Friday will tell us the result, but not its meaning alas. These are musings, but their truth cannnot be known.

As always, merely my own random thoughts. I have tried not to portray either viewpoint as right. Obviously I personally have an opinion, but I never claim to be right and history is always the judge in the end. Or maybe I have just imagined all of this.
    Jeez Simla ...thats a very philosophical post.

Interrupted my reading of Back on the New Road to Serfdom (Wood).

Both makes one think ...thanks for your post
    Last edited by winner69; 25-07-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Jeez Simla ...thats a very philosophical post.

Interrupted my reading of Back on the New Road to Serfdom (Wood).

Both makes one think ...thanks for your post
    Yeah, Simla. Yet a sign you're really on board again with BLT

Great debate, love it when someone brings something in from left field, thanks Simla. I believe there is a dissatisfaction with the status quo - the trump effect - dangerous/interesting times. Anyhoo, I’m excited about the Barry ballot, don’t think the Russians have been involved...

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Interesting you said ‘if they were interested’

Appears as if no interest in this ‘science’ anyway?
    Yeah, I imagine a potential competitor might want to see a bigger market than the one BLIS is currently servicing. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the global market could be made a lot bigger with the sort of marketing campaigns that only the giants can afford. It still surprises me how few medical professionals in New Zealand have heard of BLIS after more than a decade on the shelves.