sharetrader
Page 60 of 764 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160560 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    FP I yield to your wisdom.

In which case, I acknowledge yours.

Advanced Member

We've had a few side discussions going on here lately, and it's interesting that there might be a common theme.

Are most of us here because we like things to be "good", "better", "optimal"? Which is what Blis as a company has always aimed at. We're mostly happy to be following a share which has so far offered the chance of that even at some cost. And I've been talking about holding shares like Blis long term, as optimal for the future of NZ. Others probably like trading instead, but probably still seeing that as being the optimal choice too. Guys have been talking about optimal spelling and grammar lately. And we've all been impressed with watching a well executed business program. Ironic that there have always been so many people in the world who want things to be good, and yet people can't agree on how to do it. Perhaps there are as many wars fought over "optimal" as over money and oil.

Anyway, in a world of so many shoddy outcomes, it's nice that Blis has seemingly attracted a group of people who like things to be right, even if we can't necessarily agree on what that means ... or how to spell it.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by simla View Post
    Personally, I would not be choosing a price to sell at, but a time. How long would you predict strong growth from this company based on the currently available news? If so, then selling before that time would only make sense if you wanted to limit losses from future unexpected bad news (whether Blis or the markets more widely), or if you wanted cash in the meantime, or if you had stronger growth prospects somewhere else - or if you think you're smart enough to dart in and out of shares at the right time.

Or, you may be owning this share for future cash flow (ie dividends) rather than capital gains, as I am. Future dividends from this company look pretty good for a long time to come as far as I can see. Holding long term will take some strong nerves, however, as the share price is no doubt in for some dramatics ups and downs over the next few years.

ps. IS anyone here for the long haul like I am?

Yes I suppose I am. Just bought some today. I know absolutely nothing about the sharemarket and have never bought anything but listed property trust shares. My no. 1 thingy is commercial R.E. investment and at present these listed trust things are being given away, while buildings aren't. I accumulate investments purely to stack up income usually, and never sell - so these damn things will go to the grave with me - hopefully not too soon, cos I'd quite like to see some dividends. I know nothing about this Blis outfit, but looks interesting, reading through the posts. I'm not usually a gambler, and there's obviously a degree of a gamble here, so I've just dangled my toe in the water so to speak to see what happens. Bought 100,000 at 7.4 cents for a kick off. God only knows why really, but could be fun. So I must say I have enjoyed your enthusiastic (understatement) posts - and will haunt this site looking for the gems of wisdom that have grabbed my attention.

Advanced Member

Funguspudding, just to remind you and others that I have never recommended anyone invest in BLT. That is a decision for each person to make for themselves, and after their own research.

This group is a place for people to exchange publicly-available information about BLT, and to discuss possible reactions and interpretations to that information. The result is a mixture of information (I try to cross-reference my own information for you so people can check it for themselves), and opinions.

Opinions of other people can be worthwhile, of course. But you have to remember we do not know where each person is coming from. I saw Blis mentioned as a penny dreadful elsewhere on this site, for example. That's okay, as each person approaches a share for their own ends. But opinions expressed in a group like this might appear differently if you did not know that was the background. Another person will be approaching it as a member of a diversified tech portfolio, for example, which I'm sure some people here are doing. Other's may be looking at it as investing in NZ's future, which I openly include as part of my objective.

One investment book I read described opinion as scuttlebutt, and very useful - Philip Fisher, "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits". It's a good book, but he includes opinion from insiders in his scuttlebutt, as too the competing companies, as well as customers and retailers. All of which goes a long way past what might be read here.

My optimism comes from reading the publicly-available facts found on this group and the Blis web site, plus I find a fair amount on the net that I do not judge worth mentioning here, but which might influence me anyway. And I am optimistic of the conclusions that might be reached from that information too. But that does presume we know the facts, whereas long-time Blis followers know that surprises are a regular feature, as information does not leak out of Blis. The company news of July 31 this year is a classic example. That was unexpectedly good, but the release not too long before that, end of May, contained some unexpected, bad news, that the important Australian market wasn't doing well.

So, yes, my optimism is genuine. On the back of it, I have an investment in Blis. But I am not a guru with secret knowledge. I just go through the information I'm aware of and interpret it. I could plain be wrong, and things may not be that good after all, may even be not good.

Examples of possible bad outcomes are easy to mention. Most importantly, we do not know whether the world needs or wants Blis. The Scots probably thought they had a world-beater with haggis, but it turned out the world wasn't that excited. Also significantly, the "green shoots" arguments don't stack up with me. Unemployment is growing steadily all around the world, with no obvious thing likely to stop it any time soon. Interest rates are mostly low so far, but governments and corporates worldwide are planning on borrowing mind-blowing sums of money, and I expect rates will rise noticeably after a bit. If interest rates doubled (or more) around the world over the next year or two, that would have dramatic effects, I would think. Ability to roll over commercial property loans are looking a potential problem in parts of the world, too. Any of this could give Blis a big headache.

However, you seem to have made quite a few posts in these groups and I'm sure you know all of this. But I thought I would say it all anyway, as I have always tried to be very clear that I am willing to find publicly-available information about Blis, and to discuss it, but I have absolutely no more knowledge of the future than anyone else. I remain optimistic, but I can obviously also be wrong in my judgment. Anyone who buys Blis shares after reading this group must do so entirely based on their own judgment, aware that everyone here may have different motives, and that news and interpretations found here might later turn out to be less useful. We're all only human.

Good luck with your investment if you keep it. Thanks for your kind comments.
    Last edited by simla; 01-09-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Legend

Funguspudding, just to remind you and others that I have never recommended anyone invest in BLT. That is a decision for each person to make for themselves, and after their own research.

This group is a place for people to exchange publicly-available information about BLT, and to discuss possible reactions and interpretations to that information. The result is a mixture of information (I try to cross-reference my own information for you so people can check it for themselves), and opinions.

Opinions of other people can be worthwhile, of course. But you have to remember we do not know where each person is coming from. I saw Blis mentioned as a penny dreadful elsewhere on this site, for example. That's okay, as each person approaches a share for their own ends. But opinions expressed in a group like this might appear differently if you did not know that was the background. Another person will be approaching it as a member of a diversified tech portfolio, for example, which I'm sure some people here are doing. Other's may be looking at it as investing in NZ's future, which I openly include as part of my objective.

One investment book I read described opinion as scuttlebutt, and very useful - Philip Fisher, "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits". It's a good book, but he includes opinion from insiders in his scuttlebutt, as too the competing companies, as well as customers and retailers. All of which goes a long way past what might be read here.

My optimism comes from reading the publicly-available facts found on this group and the Blis web site, plus I find a fair amount on the net that I do not judge worth mentioning here, but which might influence me anyway. And I am optimistic of the conclusions that might be reached from that information too. But that does presume we know the facts, whereas long-time Blis followers know that surprises are a regular feature, as information does not leak out of Blis. The company news of July 31 this year is a classic example. That was unexpectedly good, but the release not too long before that, end of May, contained some unexpected, bad news, that the important Australian market wasn't doing well.

So, yes, my optimism is genuine. On the back of it, I have an investment in Blis. But I am not a guru with secret knowledge. I just go through the information I'm aware of and interpret it. I could plain be wrong, and things may not be that good after all, may even be not good.

Examples of possible bad outcomes are easy to mention. Most importantly, we do not know whether the world needs or wants Blis. The Scots probably thought they had a world-beater with haggis, but it turned out the world wasn't that excited. Also significantly, the "green shoots" arguments don't stack up with me. Unemployment is growing steadily all around the world, with no obvious thing likely to stop it any time soon. Interest rates are mostly low so far, but governments and corporates worldwide are planning on borrowing mind-blowing sums of money, and I expect rates will rise noticeably after a bit. If interest rates doubled (or more) around the world over the next year or two, that would have dramatic effects, I would think. Ability to roll over commercial property loans are looking a potential problem in parts of the world, too. Any of this could give Blis a big headache.
    All of which is why I decided it might be fun to take an interest, and why I made only a small investment.

Advanced Member

Good stuff. Actually, I always find it strange when people talk about my having a lot of optimism, as I seldom say just how optimistic I really feel. To my mind, the interesting points about Blis are: why has it got a Fortune 500 Marketing Manager; why does it only deal with very big firms; why does it have a distribution network seemingly much bigger and more developed than a company would need to just sell a throat lozenge at a profit? Blis has so far done things very logically and made every move for a reason.

Simla
    Good stuff-appreciated your posts.
    Intrigued why they call it K.. - sounds more
    like breakfast cereal or sail boat.

cheers

Interesting thoughts Simla - ta.

The share is on the rollercoaster that you predicted. Well over 300,000 traded today at 7.0 or 7.1 cents. Weird.

Guru

Rollercoaster's right. I suspect it'll be on a downward swoop until some more positive news. The fickle nature of the market never ceases to amaze.

Legend

Good stuff. Actually, I always find it strange when people talk about my having a lot of optimism, as I seldom say just how optimistic I really feel. To my mind, the interesting points about Blis are: why has it got a Fortune 500 Marketing Manager; why does it only deal with very big firms; why does it have a distribution network seemingly much bigger and more developed than a company would need to just sell a throat lozenge at a profit? Blis has so far done things very logically and made every move for a reason.
    I bought a pkt. today just for a laugh. First point was the pharmacy had no idea what the difference between the two choices they stocked was, and tried to work it out from the label, which was of little help. But they did ask if I wanted strawberry flavour or vanilla, which I really wonder about. It sort of gives the impression of a novelty product I felt. Anyway I chose the 30 day pack. I think the details and layout on the pkt. are appalling. Amateurish mix of capital letters thrown in for no reason; one horribly ambiguous sentence. Heaps of room for improvement. Reminiscent of Chinese/Taiwanese products. Certainly not up to the standard of American packaging as far as print info goes.
    Another point: It also says contains strawberry flavouring, and elsewhere 'contains no artificial flavour'. Real strawberry flavour??? Makes me wonder. So I'm away to get a sore throat now - to see if it works!