sharetrader
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Perhaps a little too early to call the end of the world?

Advanced Member

Could be another symptom of the end of the american empire, the rise of the Chinese will be unstoppable , the west is now in the same position as the roman empire just before its demise. Barbarians at the gates while debauchary and decadence consume the citizens.
    The genie is out of the bottle , no going back now, the west going to be hit on all fronts , religious , economic and even the planet is revolting

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Could be another symptom of the end of the american empire, the rise of the Chinese will be unstoppable , the west is now in the same position as the roman empire just before its demise. Barbarians at the gates while debauchary and decadence consume the citizens.
    The genie is out of the bottle , no going back now, the west going to be hit on all fronts , religious , economic and even the planet is revolting
    Ratkin - Seeing you into a bit of reading you should try to get a copy of Rome Inc! by Stanley Bing ....

(Bing writes a column in Fortune each week as well)

haha i find it amusing that a 10% market correction can cause people to think its the demise of the whole US empire.

The markets have risen for so long, and now they are taking a well deserved breather. Yes we are being put thru the ringer, but most stocks that rise quickly, fall even quicker at trimes like these.

just remember fundamentals, eventually they will be what the markets are focusing on again.

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Note how all the instos had this down as a screaming buy , giving price targets of 100+
    Just another example of the crooks at work.

Guaranteed they knew of forthcoming problems and were desperate to offload as much as they could while simultaneously ramping it as a buy.

These days if anything rated a big buy by the instos then avoid. It no coincidence that the stocks they have been most bullish about have been financial stocks , the very ones now being caned.
    haha...what a absolute load of rubbish!

Your argument fatally ignores the fact that MBL made a $1billion placement to "instos" at $87 just a couple of months ago.

anyway, by “instos” I presume you meant to say sharebrokers? – I don’t know any institutions that publish price targets on their investments.

Given that MBL is trading on a PE of 10, when historically (over the last 10 years) it has averaged a PE of 17-18 any rational broker would be silly to call MBL a sell on a fundamental basis….especially now that MBL is far less riskier investment than any time over the last 10 years, given its considerable geographical and investment stream diversification together with its success at bulking up its annuity flows...and especially that in its last guidance for FY08 MBL was way ahead on its pcp....there was no reason to call MBL a sell.

I see even today the most respected and credible banking analyst in Australia – Brian Johnson from JP Morgan has come out today with a MBL target of $101.61….while ABN Amro came out yesterday with a $115 target

Of the 11 brokers covering MBL 9 have it as a buy and 2 a hold…- consensus target is $110.2.....These are all fully modelled DCF valuations based on rational assumptions….ask them for a copy and then dispute their assumptions if you don’t like/doubt the targets

and I am not sticking up for these brokers, am just saying that there was no reason to call MBL a sell on a fundamental basis.

On a technical basis though, thats a completely diff story, but I don’t know any brokers that publish technical targets ..

What would your valuation of MBL be, Ratkin?

Advanced Member

There no way of knowing what its worth in the present climate.
    All we can say with certainty is that its only worth what people are prepared to pay for it , and that seems to be decreasing by the day . 100 dollars seems like dreamland at present.

Will hunt that book down Winner , sounds good reading in these uncertain times
    Last edited by ratkin; 15-08-2007 at 09:15 PM.

am reasonably certain i saw something on the news saying they had $100b in assets with $1b exposure to the "subprime" carry-on.

A mate of mine would say this is 3 fifths of F.A.

Advanced Member

Default MBL Chart

Buy signals - Green arrows.
    Sell signals - Red arrows.

Ah what could have been. I short sold a fair chunk of MBL CFD's in May but exited in June at a reasonable profit but nothing like what it could have been today. ...Hindsight is a six sigma investor methinks.

Advanced Member

Why has the bank not come out to calm investors nerves? Have a feeling its in a bad way

People keep quoting the historically low PE , however if earnings suffer , as they will then that PE could well rise much higher
    Last edited by ratkin; 16-08-2007 at 06:11 AM.