sharetrader
Page 176 of 736 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276676 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 7353

You may be right however we (or I anyway) should be grateful for traders...it drives SP to places they would never go if just holders were in the market. I love their optimism and resilience. Been trading any Swiss francs recently?
    Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post
    IMO losses will swamp winnings for traders who try to pick and trade short term (days / weeks) moves, especially moves against the trend.
    The trading costs, slippage and trend will kill you. Especially with shares, as opposed to currencies and futures.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Deka was the old McKenzies

The Warehouse killed Deka

wiki says several Deka stores were rebranded Farmers, including 6 in the South Island

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEKA_(New_Zealand)
    If you walk into most Whitcoulls stores currently, you'll see a big stash of "Farmers" books, a written history of the business, in the bargain bin for $10 each. I bought one and found it interesting, but it doesn't sound like there are many other takers.

I suspect those Farmers books will be the only books left in Whitcoulls soon - it is fast ceasing to be a book shop.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Membaa

Default Damn metaphors don't hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Huh? Tide comes in and goes out last time I checked. Just like the SP..goes up and goes down... and the reason ....market sentiment combined with emotion and an occasional smattering of facts.
    Tide does go in and out, you're right of course. Depending on time frame though, some companies look like the bath plug has been pulled out of their SP (oh, another metaphor!), hence my original metaphor of the tide keeps going out year after year. Though, if you prefer precise, it's gone out 10 of the past 15 years and is so far going out at the moment as well. I'm just eyeing up this company because it came up on my scan of stocks that still seem to be good businesses but their SP has been savaged and is around an all time low.

Attachment 6689
    Attachment 6690

Banned

IMO losses will swamp winnings for traders who try to pick and trade short term (days / weeks) moves, especially moves against the trend.
    The trading costs, slippage and trend will kill you. Especially with shares, as opposed to currencies and futures.
    Heard it all many, many, many, MANY times before bunter. Guess I'm just plain stupid. Or actually make some dosh from it eh?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Heard it all many, many, many, MANY times before bunter. Guess I'm just plain stupid. Or actually make some dosh from it eh?
    Not stupid BFG some just want to have fun aye , although long term holds are generally a better way to go trading can be an enjoyable challenge and can be treated like any sport and approached with much enthusiasm for certain personality types who arent content sitting on their hands

So you're saying that the water is a result of excited anticipation as opposed to just 'tearing up" from the horror of it all? Yes WHS has "enjoyed" a downward journey but along the way has provided some excellent entry points, has shown some strong growth periods and kept pumping out dividends. If you had bought at strategic times and kept your average buy price reasonable..your gross dividend yield will have been and still is in double figures. So now the SP is at a very low point and as you say its "caught your eye". There are some who see that as a disaster and others who view it as an opportunity. All up to the individual and as always only time will tell. Personally I have been holding since 2011 and bought periodically in 2011 and 2012 but nothing since then and have been waiting to begin accumulating again. The last week or so and also the coming weeks are in my opinion that time. Wish I could look ahead 3/4 years and check it out but that, as you would say, doesn't hold any water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Tide does go in and out, you're right of course. Depending on time frame though, some companies look like the bath plug has been pulled out of their SP (oh, another metaphor!), hence my original metaphor of the tide keeps going out year after year. Though, if you prefer precise, it's gone out 10 of the past 15 years and is so far going out at the moment as well. I'm just eyeing up this company because it came up on my scan of stocks that still seem to be good businesses but their SP has been savaged and is around an all time low.

Attachment 6689
    Attachment 6690
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Well good luck with the knife-catching. As BB says, knife-catchers are needed. I needed one the other day selling WHS at 2.89.

I read about one sucessful one in Market Wizards. He had tiny trading costs, and the guy said it was really difficult and stressful. Lots of false entries.

So DO you actually make money from this type of trade?

And was it you or some other Canadian who got kiwis saying 'aye'?
    Last edited by bunter; 21-01-2015 at 09:45 AM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Keep talking it down boys.....I'd be unloading at any price if I was you.....backing the truck up now
    Posted 07-01-2015.
    Would n't the truck start?
    Starter motor proplems.? lol.

Banned

Well good luck with the knife-catching. As BB says, knife-catchers are needed. I needed one the other day selling WHS at 2.89.

I read about one sucessful one in Market Wizards. He had tiny trading costs, and the guy said it was really difficult and stressful. Lots of false entries.

So DO you actually make money from this type of trade?

And was it you or some other Canadian who got kiwis saying 'aye'?
    I'm just having a bit of fun with WHS playing around with spare money right now so no, it's not a full time job, but yes, it is stressful (although the stress has decreased markedly over the years). I usually go for full disclosure on my trades as well so that others can learn on here as well. By no means do I get it right all the time (just look at AVB.ASX - ANGRY at management!!!).

I wish it was myself who could say they got all you Kiwis saying eh (note the spelling!), but alas, I am not that important or influential!

See where she goes today. I see $2.60 as support and $2.75-$2.80 as 50% retracement target. Anything above that is great imho.

Banned

Still haven't sold. Volume is good and buyers are supporting price well. At this rate I expect a full blue candle at days end (ie traded out to the days high) with follow on buying tomorrow. ECB anniuncing QE soon so I expect markets to stay positive near term. Lower oil and very low inflation also bolster WHS. Will reassess situation later. One day at a time