sharetrader
Page 253 of 734 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303353 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 7331

From USA but always fascinated by this chart

I would hazard a guess that the same sort of trend is happening in NZ

Top line is the general merchandise stores (ie likes of Warehouse) and the bottom line is online retailers without stores
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    From USA but always fascinated by this chart

I would hazard a guess that the same sort of trend is happening in NZ

Top line is the general merchandise stores (ie likes of Warehouse) and the bottom line is online retailers without stores
    Interesting, but so is what it doesn't say. Only 21.2% of sales are reported in the chart, where are the missing 78.8% of sales originating from?

Complaints that only a small increase in sales? Could have been worse, could have been a decrease. I would have to agree that big sales increases in the future will be unlikely. But, consolidation of what they have and retention at a better profit margin is just as good. Who needs a bigger ship, we need a tighter ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Interesting, but so is what it doesn't say. Only 21.2% of sales are reported in the chart, where are the missing 78.8% of sales originating from?
    General Merchandise Stores and Online make up 21.2% of total retail sales - the other 78.8% are all the other retail sectors

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Complaints that only a small increase in sales? Could have been worse, could have been a decrease. I would have to agree that big sales increases in the future will be unlikely. But, consolidation of what they have and retention at a better profit margin is just as good. Who needs a bigger ship, we need a tighter ship.
    The latest Retail sales data from Stats NZ showed retail spending was up 4.8% in the March quarter over last year(exc cars and fuel). This followed a +4.5% in the December 16 quarter

In this context 1.7% for the WHS is small - NZers are on a spending spree .....but not being attracted to WHS brands

Yes - small increase is better than going backwards

Interesting story about Amazon, not just retail but transport as well.

http://fleetowner.com/fleet-manageme...ruckers?page=1

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    General Merchandise Stores and Online make up 21.2% of total retail sales - the other 78.8% are all the other retail sectors
    That stands to reason, so is it fair to cherry pick some US stats which omit 78.8% of the retail sector and imply a comparison to WHS?

Don't get me wrong, I think you're on the right track with the growth in online retail and the decline in bricks and mortar retail.

I just don't think it's as prevalent in NZ yet, online that is, to sound the death knell of WHS by implication of what's going on in the USA. It is cause for concern, but it's not the end by a long stretch.

My concern would be more fundamental, about the WHS gradually over time propping up shareholder returns by selling large footprint properties, and moving into expensive ongoing lease agreements.

That trend is far more concerning I would think than whether they can profitably maintain a share of the NZ retail market in the short term.

Nevertheless, a strong position in online sales is really a prerequisite to success in the medium to longer term. Some solutions are specifically designed to drive online interest into foot traffic and buyers in retail.

There's even one solution to this listed on NZX.

Advanced Member

Kmart on the rise and opening 20th store
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post...lers-in-petone

"We don't focus on competition, we focus on making sure we've got the best offer. We focus on lowest prices for goods that are on trend and merchandise that gives us a point of difference from other retailers," he said.
    Last edited by winner69; 01-06-2017 at 07:32 AM.

They are also building one in Rotorua to open next year. K-Mart very overrated in my opinion, their crap is not as good as The Warehouse crap, but it does attract the hoards.