sharetrader
Page 317 of 736 FirstFirst ... 217267307313314315316317318319320321327367417 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 7353

I don't think there should be repercussions. It's going to take businesses sometime to adjust to a centrally planned economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Clarifying the definitions of an essential service is an issue that will definitely need to be sorted out after this pandemic has passed. In the mean time, I take it as rather fluid.
    they did define it, but you did have to read a little bit between the lines to get what they actually meant , which is a sign of it being rushed I guess.

https://covid19.govt.nz/government-a...ial-businesses
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I don't think there should be repercussions. It's going to take businesses sometime to adjust to a centrally planned economy.
    No, there should be repercussions from NZX at least. The covid web site is clear: "the necessities of life will continue to be available". WHS led the market to believe that they would be open as usual, which would clearly not be true. They may provide some essential goods but that certainly doesn't cover the whole store.

They were also promising that their online delivery would be operating as usual, which I believe is also over-promising.

If WHS were unsure of what the reality was, they shouldn't be promising service they aren't 100% sure they can deliver. They stated a fact this morning, which turned out not to really be a fact.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    No, there should be repercussions from NZX at least. The covid web site is clear: "the necessities of life will continue to be available". WHS led the market to believe that they would be open as usual, which would clearly not be true. They may provide some essential goods but that certainly doesn't cover the whole store.

They were also promising that their online delivery would be operating as usual, which I believe is also over-promising.

If WHS were unsure of what the reality was, they shouldn't be promising service they aren't 100% sure they can deliver. They stated a fact this morning, which turned out not to really be a fact.
    We have no idea what went on behind the scenes. The climbdown could have been because of all the squealers kicking up a fuss. They probably had a quiet word, along the lines that they made a misjudgement of public opinion, and it couod not go ahead in its current form.

Warehouse should have just kept quiet and sneaked in under the radar. But then no doubt they would have been accused of not informing the market. So can’t win anyway. All the fuss that was made on here was just sour grapes and bitterness from people thinking they had missed an opportunity of making a quick buck.

No, there shouldn't be any repercussions. Here's the definition of essential service, which they can argue they meet. Your turn to say "no, there should be repercussions".

Fast-moving consumer goods:
    • Businesses involved in the supply, delivery, distribution and sale of food, beverages and other key consumer goods (but not take-away shops)

I just hope supermarkets rope off booze, fags, confectionery and just stick to the essentials.

Last edited by Bobdn; 24-03-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    No, there shouldn't be any repercussions. Here's the definition of essential service, which they can argue they meet. Your turn to say "no, there should be repercussions".

Fast-moving consumer goods:
    • Businesses involved in the supply, delivery, distribution and sale of food, beverages and other key consumer goods (but not take-away shops)

but they also said ' essential for maintaining the wellbeing of people ' , but this was too subtle for those looking to find a way.

tho I definitely agree with you , that there should be some grace granted in these trying time
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

food [tick]
    beverages [tick]
    other key consumer items [tick].

They fit the last part more than the supermarkets but less for on the others.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 24-03-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    food [tick]
    beverages [tick]
    other key consumer items [tick].

They fit the last part more than the supermarkets but less for on the others.
    Can bet they were told they were going to be on the list and the big uproar caused a climdown. The record number of new cases probably also had a bearing, made them realise they had to a appear very tough on the lockdown, and including the warehouse made them look weak in the eyes of the petition brigade

Advanced Member

Apparently they are given the no tick by someone up above and I agree. They are non essential

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    but they also said ' essential for maintaining the wellbeing of people ' , but this was too subtle for those looking to find a way.

tho I definitely agree with you , that there should be some grace granted in these trying time
    Whether they were right or wrong, they should've waited until the company legal department turned up for work before putting out this statement. They clearly didn't.

It's not really that important in the overall scheme, especially with a fast-moving change like this current lockdown. We'll all have forgotten about this in a couple of days.

But it does seem a little reckless to be putting out statements like this, when the market is in a panic about everything, without being 200% sure that they are right.