sharetrader
Page 450 of 733 FirstFirst ... 350400440446447448449450451452453454460500550 ... LastLast
Results 4,491 to 4,500 of 7330

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think the key here is that the duopoly's profits are persistently high. If WHS can consistently make ~ $200m per year for many many years other competitors will be attracted to that sector.
    Comm Comm's take is that the incumbents ostensibly act to willfully obstruct other competitors and engage in other anticompetitive activities. Basically they're acting in a contrived manner to bleed Kiwi's dry.

They mention its hard to get site's for suitable sized stores for other competitors. I know one company that's well positioned in that regard
    Hey Beagle …where’s your ‘maximising shareholder returns’ hat gone

Nice to see you standing up for the poor householders of NZ though
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Hey Beagle …where’s your ‘maximising shareholder returns’ hat gone

Nice to see you standing up for the poor householders of NZ though
    Getting older mate. Going a bit soft in the head as well as the body lol
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think the key here is that the duopoly's profits are persistently high. If WHS can consistently make ~ $200m per year for many many years other competitors will be attracted to that sector.
    Comm Comm's take is that the incumbents ostensibly act to willfully obstruct other competitors and engage in other anticompetitive activities. Basically they're acting in a contrived manner to bleed Kiwi's dry.

They mention its hard to get site's for suitable sized stores for other competitors. I know one company that's well positioned in that regard
    Yes I thought that was a very interesting point as well - WHS group has a lot of existing prime spots for the creation of a nationwide supermarket chain.

It has multiple options as well, and could do whatever works depending on the site:

1) adapting existing stores (probably works best for mall locations where building development is out of WHS control.
    2) building on car park space (and preserving parking either above or below the new store)
    3) redevelop existing single level store site with a new two level structure.
    4) instead of ending lease on the warehouse stationary stores upon integration into a red shed, alternatives are keeping the stationary site for smaller footprint grocery, or cancelling the red shed/stationary integration and instead going with grocery integration at the red shed.
    5) new developments in areas of population growth see even more economies of scale for WHS group - could now have the whole portfolio in new big box developemnts: Red shed/stationary/grocery/NL/T7
    6) in some areas a pure online grocery operation may be an option, especially in future as more people opt for online grocery delivery, WHS can integrate this into existing logistics network with some tweaks.
    7) and of course the brute force approach: WHS can just build new grocery stores in existing key population centers where land is available. Maybe some areas where a smaller WHS was being considered for closure anyway.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 29-07-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Not sure why WHS don't just turn a portion of their stores into a costco/gilmores type operation.

Buy 5kg of milo cheap
    Buy 50kg washing powder cheap
    Buy 2kg corn flakes cheap.

Don't worry about perishables or short life goods. Who wants to buy their milk and broccoli from the WHS? Not me but I would buy 5kg of baked beans in a tin.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    Not sure why WHS don't just turn a portion of their stores into a costco/gilmores type operation.

Buy 5kg of milo cheap

Don't worry about perishables or short life goods. Who wants to buy their milk and broccoli from the WHS? Not me but I would buy 5kg of baked beans in a tin.

They just need to adopt the pallet model that Lidl and Aldi started with. Just leave them on a pallet and sell them cheap,

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Yes I thought that was a very interesting point as well - WHS group has a lot of existing prime spots for the creation of a nationwide supermarket chain.

It has multiple options as well, and could do whatever works depending on the site:

1) adapting existing stores (probably works best for mall locations where building development is out of WHS control.
    2) building on car park space (and preserving parking either above or below the new store)
    4) instead of ending lease on the warehouse stationary stores upon integration into a red shed, alternatives are keeping the stationary site for smaller footprint grocery, or cancelling the red shed/stationary integration and instead going with grocery integration at the red shed.
    5) new developments in areas of population growth see even more economies of scale for WHS group - could now have the whole portfolio in new big box developemnts: Red shed/stationary/grocery/NL/T7
    6) in some areas a pure online grocery operation may be an option, especially in future as more people opt for online grocery delivery, WHS can integrate this into existing logistics network with some tweaks.
    7) and of course the brute force approach: WHS can just build new grocery stores in existing key population centers where land is available. Maybe some areas where a smaller WHS was being considered for closure anyway.
    Then if segment is so ‘profitable’ why aren’t WHS already doing it?

Maybe they recall what happened with their last foray into groceries
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post

Buy 5kg of milo cheap

they already have these type of grocery areas in some larger stores.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Then if segment is so ‘profitable’ why aren’t WHS already doing it?

Maybe they recall what happened with their last foray into groceries
    Because it would be a lot easier if the government adopts recommendation from today’s report that would make entry feasible.. At present any new entrants are effectively locked out of the supply chains due to the way the current duopoly operates.

Good pragmatic thinking and something I am sure management will be carefully considering going forward.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

they already have these type of grocery areas in some larger stores.
    Do they? Never seen one in Auckland? All I see are bins full of single bag chips or chocolate. Then selves of single item shampoo, razors, soap etc. Scrap that. Can get all that from PaknSave cheaper anyway.

Got to go bulk bargain approach if they want to take on the super markets.

Go to your local gilmores store and you can by 2.5kg bag of corn chips. 5kg bag of cereal. This is different from the supermarkets. WHS should do this model.