sharetrader
Page 495 of 733 FirstFirst ... 395445485491492493494495496497498499505545595 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,950 of 7330

One good thing WHS does is support the Future Director scheme

Caroline Rainsford Should bring valuable insights to the Board while developing her skills in directorship.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

They gave $250,000 to Women's refuge a couple of months ago, pretty decent sized donation and they also (whatever one's views on this are) repaid the wage subsidy of (from memory) over $50m which they legally could have kept. In terms of having a corporate social conscience they don't look too bad to me. Certainly not "unethical" like one newbie poster opined yesterday.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-09-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    They gave $250,000 to Women's refuge a couple of months ago, pretty decent sized donation and they also (whatever one's views on this are) repaid the wage subsidy of (from memory) over $50m which they legally could have kept. In terms of having a corporate social conscience they don't look too bad to me. Certainly not "unethical" like one newbie poster opined yesterday.
    I guess that would be me.
    Giving money to charities is classic greenwashing from companies that are fundamentally unethical in terms of their effect on the planet and the source of their products. Macdonalds give lot's of money to kids charities but that doesn't change the fact that it's "product" is fundamentally bad for kids. Or the Oil industry saying they are all about sustainability. I could care less about what you choose to do with your money but don't kid yourself that WHS is an ethical company.

Guru

What does briscoes do for the environment, lgbt inclusion and a host of other issues?

have they repaid their wage subsidy yet.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard View Post
    I guess that would be me.
    Giving money to charities is classic greenwashing from companies that are fundamentally unethical in terms of their effect on the planet and the source of their products. Macdonalds give lot's of money to kids charities but that doesn't change the fact that it's "product" is fundamentally bad for kids. Or the Oil industry saying they are all about sustainability. I could care less about what you choose to do with your money but don't kid yourself that WHS is an ethical company.
    not sure exactly what your beef with WHS is, but everything is relative and I doubt you would find many that would disagree with the statement that WHS is more ethical than many other large retailers in NZ. Yes a large amount of their stock is made in Asia, but that is no different to any other major houseware/clothing/electronics retailer. On the other measures (treatment of its staff, charitable initiatives, local environmental impact) it appears to be doing well, and the fact a large chunk of its profits generated end up going to the tindall foundation is something that other large retailers probably don’t have (does rod duke have a large charity effort?)

I cannot bring myself to support Rod Duke despite his business being a good investment, indeed best in category. They do not hold a trusted position or show community involvement like MFT and FPH for example. They are just a balance sheet with yet another sale each week. I think there is a real opportunity if WHS can position itself as a good corporate citizen with honest pricing. Their stores are so widely distributed and a mainstay of small town NZ. If they can move on from the cheep and nasty image to occupying a position higher up the ladder, there is a huge opportunity for growth.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    not sure exactly what your beef with WHS is, but everything is relative and I doubt you would find many that would disagree with the statement that WHS is more ethical than many other large retailers in NZ. Yes a large amount of their stock is made in Asia, but that is no different to any other major houseware/clothing/electronics retailer. On the other measures (treatment of its staff, charitable initiatives, local environmental impact) it appears to be doing well, and the fact a large chunk of its profits generated end up going to the tindall foundation is something that other large retailers probably don’t have (does rod duke have a large charity effort?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat the Bank View Post
    I cannot bring myself to support Rod Duke despite his business being a good investment, indeed best in category. They do not hold a trusted position or show community involvement like MFT and FPH for example. They are just a balance sheet with yet another sale each week. I think there is a real opportunity if WHS can position itself as a good corporate citizen with honest pricing. Their stores are so widely distributed and a mainstay of small town NZ. If they can move on from the cheep and nasty image to occupying a position higher up the ladder, there is a huge opportunity for growth.
    Very well said. That's the thing with this one...really compelling metrics, (PE of just over 7), and very high dividend yield with heaps of room for improvements to their business model and the financial results that come from that.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-09-2021 at 11:44 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

Briscoes has enjoyed record profit, revenue and share price growth.

Maybe they can "be kind" and repay their wage subsidy like the warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Briscoes has enjoyed record profit, revenue and share price growth.

Maybe they can "be kind" and repay their wage subsidy like the warehouse.
    Briscoes have repaid the wage subsidy
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Ok thanks. good to know