sharetrader
Page 497 of 733 FirstFirst ... 397447487493494495496497498499500501507547597 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,970 of 7330

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard View Post
    Not a fair comparison as Toyota Corolla's don't end up in landfills after a few months. And they're not made in China. I look at ethics in investing far more than most, but that doesn't mean my assumptions are flawed. As I said, each to their own.
    I think it comes down to the owner as to how long items last, a toyota could end up at the wreckers alot faster than a few months, likewise a toy or clothing that is well looked after can end up at a toy library or op shop. I think its wrong to blame a store for the way the consumers use their goods.

In general products that cost more last longer and work better. But if you buy into the cheap is best/high volume metrics then WHS wins out. Not good for the planet, but that doesn't seem to be one of your metrics. Fair enough, each to his own.
    You don't work in retail do you?

I don't have a "beef" with WHS as you put it - more that people are deluding themselves, maybe others, in engaging ethical whataboutery. Can anyone seriously argue that the WHS model of cheapness over quality is good for the environment? And charity giving isn't the point - see my comment on Mcdonalds (another big charity giver). It is revealing that most of the material that people post on here supporting WHS as an "ethical" company comes from WHS itself. That is because the WHS doesn't like to co-operate with independent studies - another giveaway. Given the huge range of it's products from China, I have serious doubts whether WHS knows what conditions those products are made in. Sorry to bug you about ethics - I'll stop now. Ethical investing doesn't seem to be a big issue on this site.
    https://www.thewarehousegroup.co.nz/...ource-to-shelf

Just a quick google. You must feel relieved I could find this out for you. No more sleepless nights.
    Yes i know its from the WHS group, but seriously they need to protect their suppliers and sources from competitors, standard business practise.

Don't stop sharing opinions but maybe they are better placed on a K-Mart thread somewhere...
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 20-09-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Advanced Member

In general products that cost more last longer and work better. But if you buy into the cheap is best/high volume metrics then WHS wins out. Not good for the planet, but that doesn't seem to be one of your metrics. Fair enough, each to his own.
    I disagree with your first sentence - when it comes to household goods it is not at all as you state - numerous consumer product testing roundups routinely find that much of the medium-higher priced products have failure rates no better than the low priced goods. Often the higher priced items are even made in the same Chinese factories as the lower priced items, and the only thing one gets for the extra money is the brand badge.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 20-09-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    I disagree with your first sentence - when it comes to household goods it is not at all as you state - numerous consumer product testing roundups routinely find that much of the medium-higher priced products have failure rates no better than the low priced goods. Often the higher priced items are even made in the same Chinese factories as the lower priced items, and the only thing one gets for the extra money is the brand badge.

I believe LaserEyeKiwi's conclusion is 100% correct. With some exceptions of course e.g. cheap and nasty power board vs belkin power board, sometimes technology wins.

Guru

Yep same with many supermarket goods here unless the country label is different.

Advanced Member

NZ Credit Card balances at a 9 year low.

perfect setup for a retail spending boom once aucklanders are unleashed.

The August level of credit card debt fell sharply again, now down to under $5.7 bln. This is its lowest in more than nine years, after peaking at $7.5 bln at the end of 2019. The proportion of this debt incurring interest is now less than 55%, the lowest level ever. The level of transaction activity going through credit cards is falling too, with the August $3.1 bln the lowest August since 2017. In fact, credit cards were used less in August than in the traditional shadow months of January and February. This latest lockdown obviously helps/(hurts, depending on who you are), but these latest levels are all lower than in previous lockdowns.

NZ Credit Card balances at a 9 year low.

perfect setup for a retail spending boom once aucklanders are unleashed.
    Got chatting with a good mate on the weekend. He remarked how pleased he was during lockdown his wife couldn't hammer their joint credit card.
    This month's bill less than $2,000, down from the usual $6-7,000. My goodness she must be scary high maintenance (I thought to myself without actually saying it).

Looking forward to WHS reporting on 29 September.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

"$6-7,000."

a new designer top then.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzingironmansinlgescul View Post
    "$6-7,000."

a new designer top then.
    Yeah, I think its crystal clear his wife doesn't shop at the Warehouse and neither does he ! In fact I got chatting to him about the WHS once and it was clear he thought shopping there was "beneath" him. This old mutt however has never forgotten his poor background.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine