sharetrader
Page 86 of 733 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186586 ... LastLast
    Share Collector

Actually, if there was one store in Porirua I'd like to be a shareholder in, I think it would be "Pete's Emporium". I'm not usually a fan of these types of shops, but this one just keeps going up in my estimation!

Bring on the IPO and nationwide roll-out

The service at the Warehouse has always been terrible. I think it has improved a little in recent years but not much. Personally I used to accept that as part of 'you get what you pay for'.

That said, it is interesting to compare the service at Bunnings and the Warehouse. Both pride themselves on having large shops with the cheapest gear. Surprisingly the Bunnings people are incredibly helpful and know a lot about a huge range of products (at least at the Naenae and Porrirua big stores in Wgtn). So if Bunnings can get the service aspect right why can't the Warehouse? Perhaps there is no management focus on this? Actually it seems pretty clear that good customer service isn't their focus which for a retailer is a really bad thing!

I also wonder if the world has changed a bit from the best days for the Warehouse? There isn't much doubt now that the world has limited resources and which kinda makes you want to buy a product that will last so you don't waste resources and fill up land fills. Cheap alone isn't enough anymore.

The Warehouse have improved the quality of many items, but they still seem to be missing something?

The Warehouse has a few things to do to get their business back on track. I have no doubt they can get back on track, but maybe not with the current management/board/focus?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by emearg View Post
    The service at the Warehouse has always been terrible. I think it has improved a little in recent years but not much. Personally I used to accept that as part of 'you get what you pay for'.

That said, it is interesting to compare the service at Bunnings and the Warehouse. Both pride themselves on having large shops with the cheapest gear. Surprisingly the Bunnings people are incredibly helpful and know a lot about a huge range of products (at least at the Naenae and Porrirua big stores in Wgtn). So if Bunnings can get the service aspect right why can't the Warehouse? Perhaps there is no management focus on this? Actually it seems pretty clear that good customer service isn't their focus which for a retailer is a really bad thing!

I also wonder if the world has changed a bit from the best days for the Warehouse? There isn't much doubt now that the world has limited resources and which kinda makes you want to buy a product that will last so you don't waste resources and fill up land fills. Cheap alone isn't enough anymore.

The Warehouse have improved the quality of many items, but they still seem to be missing something?

The Warehouse has a few things to do to get their business back on track. I have no doubt they can get back on track, but maybe not with the current management/board/focus?
    A very good analysis of WHS problems.Bunnings as you point out excel in knowledge and helpful service.SCY also do both.I agree cheap alone isn't enough anymore.

Advanced Member

Up 12 today , any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Up 12 today , any ideas?
    Stock is tight as a drum.

Just need a whisper of takeover activity and POP!

Tesco to break the impasse by buying off Tindall and give Foodtsuffs & Woolworths a way out?

Sellers are all pulling out.

Something is up?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Stock is tight as a drum.

Just need a whisper of takeover activity and POP!

Tesco to break the impasse by buying off Tindall and give Foodtsuffs & Woolworths a way out?
    Aldi, perhaps? Its been mooted from time to time.

Who would be interested with both Woolworths & Foodstuffs holding blocking stakes
    Possum The Cat

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Who would be interested with both Woolworths & Foodstuffs holding blocking stakes
    Yes, it would probably need a non-food company to persuade WOW and Foodstuffs to give up their stakes.

Doesn't leave many options.

Is now a good opportunity to buy WHS shares? We seem to be coming out of the recession, more consumers are buying up and the wharehouse is a discount retailer for bargains for the majority of people who don't want to spend on the upper class retail stuff. The management is also undertaking a complete re-shuffle in the upcoming months to cut costs and regenerate more profits.

I've saved up $5000 and want to make the most of it. I'm undecided whether to go for the "security" of either ANZ or Westpac shares, the dividend and possible capital gain on Wharehouse or the more volatile and risky Tourism Holdings.

Any advice would be appreciated.