sharetrader
Page 134 of 733 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234634 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 7326

I am surprised that there is a comparison of WHS to Bunnings..... Surely the comparison should be between Bunnings and Mitre10. WHS is a different completely different store.

I accept that WHS has some 'rougher edges' compared to the upmarket trade, but keep in mind that WHS is "WHS/Noel Leeming", and the latter is certainly more 'refined'.

Having said that, I state that I am essentially a NZophile... I try to shop at NZ owned enterprises, and mostly avoid AUS businesses.... The Aussies are literally bleeding this country - banks!!, supermarkets!, airlines!, and more... And of course, all my portfolio is NZ, so I am biased, but happily so.

And I can't finish without a "Go TNZ"!!

Veteran novice

The concept of a "living wage" sounds like a good idea but how, exactly, does it work?

Is it a living wage for a single person? At home with parents? One with 1,2,3,4 or more dependents? Living in Auckland? Tokoroa? Christchurch? Oamaru?

Does it cater for these different circumstances or is it a single number?

A lot of questions, someone must have the answer/s.

Apologies for cluttering the WHS thread but WHS subscribes to the idea.

Last edited by macduffy; 17-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Garfy, you are quite correct in your comparison statement. I think what the WHS knockers forget to acknowledge is that WHS carry 50,000 SKU's and makes no attempt to be similar in fabric to others. I would be interested to know what SKU's other big box retailers carry. Sure WHS have carried a previous image of being cheap and nasty but that is gradually being eroded with significant progress in that area. Just like humans the best investment one can make is in themselves and WHS are doing just that. Anyone can have a bad shopping experience anywhere and the 'living wage' process will go some way to addressing those issues. Staff who don't shape up will not achieve that status, will not obtain a higher income, probably become aggrieved at falling behind their workmates and look elsewhere for emloyment. Possibly part of management plan.

percy

I look at retail which has different types of retailers,I am comparing a bad retail experience to an excellent one.
    I went to two retailers this morning.One I marked at 3 out of 10.The other I marked 10 out of 10.
    Big difference.One the staff were happy,pleasant and helpful.One had a well laid out store which flowed.The other had no direction.Stationery items are front of the store,while photo frames in back corner says to me poor layout. WHS appeared under staffed to me.
    Kiwi verses Aussie retailers.Both stores today had NZ staff.WHS staff were not happy.
    Last edited by percy; 17-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Bunnings have 45000 to 50000 SKUs

It was the Bunnings and Mega big box rollout that really started whs down the track of needing to change. Bunnings and mega started encroaching on many of the warehouse categories after they had killed of the tools/car care etc categories in whs.

There is an lot of overlap between the whs and Bunnings - Bunnings see whs as a competitor and no doubt the warehouse sees Bunnings as a competitor.

It's the warehouse that is being forced to be different, at least in their main categories.

Bunnings going into pizza ovens soon .....ones under 1000 bucks for the keen nz outdoor living man.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Bunnings have 45000 to 50000 SKUs

It was the Bunnings and Mega big box rollout that really started whs down the track of needing to change. Bunnings and mega started encroaching on many of the warehouse categories after they had killed of the tools/car care etc categories in whs.

There is an lot of overlap between the whs and Bunnings - Bunnings see whs as a competitor and no doubt the warehouse sees Bunnings as a competitor.

It's the warehouse that is being forced to be different, at least in their main categories.

Bunnings going into pizza ovens soon .....ones under 1000 bucks for the keen nz outdoor living man.
    Gotta get myself one of those pizza ovens!! I love pizza!!!!!

Veteran novice

Yeah!

Tramping over the Tararuas with one of them on your back!

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yeah!

Tramping over the Tararuas with one of them on your back!

Sadly not that many do that sort of stuff now .... the great trek is from the lounge to the deck/courtyard to show off the pizza oven

born2invest

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitrev View Post
    And I was surprised to see you state that you are amongst the less friendly and knowledgable
    I'm not customer facing. I'm at our DC.

born2invest

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    So the much touted "Love Your Customer" program not working?
    I'm not sure. I don't deal with the Love Your Customer side of the business.