sharetrader
Page 80 of 733 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180580 ... LastLast
    Guru

Tesco are under alot of pressure from the UK equivalent of the Commerce Commission. Tesco are about 33% of the supermarket trade and they won't let them grow anything further in the foiod business. Their growth is coming from the likes of trying to sell houses (failed) and other new business areas!!

There is a stat that £1 in every £5 spent in the High Street goes through a Tesco store.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Tesco are under alot of pressure from the UK equivalent of the Commerce Commission. Tesco are about 33% of the supermarket trade and they won't let them grow anything further in the foiod business.
    Getting a bit off-topic for a thread on The Warehouse, but regulatory constraints on Tesco hasn't held back their financial performance too badly.

Tesco Profit for the year ending Feb (£ Millions)
    2005 1,344
    2006 1,570
    2007 1,892
    2008 2,124

Now if The Warehouse could turn in a similar rate of growth ...

I am wondering why Walmart, Tesco, Kmart etc wont make a T/O offer for WHS? Maybe WHS is too small for them?
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

DR Who K MART in NZ belongs Wesfarmers the owner of Coles and Bunnings and so far in debt. That I doubt anybody would lend them the money to do that. The Company that might is ALDI and that would really set the cat among the pigeons
    Possum The Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Who View Post
    I am wondering why Walmart, Tesco, Kmart etc wont make a T/O offer for WHS? Maybe WHS is too small for them?
    It was rumoured that Tesco took a look at The Warehouse back in 2006, and that Tindall met with Tesco executives while he was in the UK for a holiday. It seems that Tesco weren't sufficiently interested.

After the failed foray into Aussie, a recession looming and two giant grocery competitor breathing down WHS's back, it is wise for Tindell to privatise WHS. I dont think shareholders will support WHS into the grocery market after seeing what they have on offer in Sylvia Park and Manukua.
    Interesting comments today by the board. Looks very interesting indeed. Surprising no one here owns shares in WHS. Another great NZ company going overseas soon.

Disc. shareholder
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Veteran novice

Perhaps a couple of glasses of good pinot gris have made me over-optimistic but I see a good chance of WHS deciding to abandon the grocery idea; the courts deciding that there's therefore no reason to prevent a takeover; and the two supermarket giants resuming their tussle for control.
    Don't see the SP getting back to previous highs, however.

Disc: small holding.

Interesting comments today by the board. Looks very interesting indeed. Surprising no one here owns shares in WHS. Another great NZ company going overseas soon.

Disc. shareholder
    I've been a shareholder on and off over the years, and they've been pretty good for me. Only have a tiny amount now. Have often used it as my "cash" share, sell when needing money for something like reroofing the house, rebuying when cheap.

Maybe WHS could have another go in Aust .... isn't this what they hocked off a year or so ago

Receivers In At Discount Grouo
    http://business.smh.com.au/business/...0120-7ln3.html

If WHS is looking to go back into Aussie, I would recommend a SELL on it.