sharetrader
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Ok this is sharetrader not Facebook .St mod can you sort these baboons out? Pack of beaters heaping on spoonfuls of conjecture. Please consider the environment before typing.

I still want some BHP but will get them by increasing my contribution to my Smart OZY fund. BHP makes up a whopping 9% of that fund. Smart OZY has of course been doing really badly lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I tried to buy $20,000 NZ of BHP a week or so ago at $27.70 AUS but, because I'm such a noob, i never realized that I had to first fill out a "chess" form first (or something) and lost my appetite - it was going to take a few days I understood. I see it has appreciated 5% since then. Could have just as easily gone the other way I suppose and still might. However, the fact that BHP had depreciated 20% over the last six months and our currency had appreciated 10% over about the same period made me want to buy. That was the extent of my financial analysis (all I'm capable of). I tend to hold shares for a long time so I'm hopeful that my rough and ready approach will work out ok in the end.

I bought 1200 ANZ instead for 32.50 NZ. I like the idea of owning a little bank like HNZ and a big bank like ANZ. It has a small amount of imputation credits, a DRP, and an ok but not great yield but the potential for bigger dividend payouts. A big thing for me was buying when our dollar touched 95 cents AUS.

I have no more money to invest now. I have now launched all my torpedoes and am prepared to wait a long time to see whether they hit my investing targets.

Merry Christmas all.
    See above, meant to quote this in (December 2014)
    Last edited by Bobdn; 14-11-2015 at 06:19 PM.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/minin...12-gkxx6g.html

No doubt there will be more mining company catastrophes in years to come

think of BHP as just a squiggly line on a chart and such things don't really matter but others may take a ethical/principled point of view
    Last edited by winner69; 14-11-2015 at 06:35 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cammo View Post
    Ok this is sharetrader not Facebook .St mod can you sort these baboons out? Pack of beaters heaping on spoonfuls of conjecture. Please consider the environment before typing.
    FACT: "BHP Billiton and Vale are to pay a further 1bn reais (£171m; $260m) for the mining disaster that killed 11 people in Brazil earlier this month. The mining giants had already been ordered to pay 250m reais after a dam burst at a mine run by Samarco, a firm they jointly own." http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34839390

FACT: "Brazilian government said the Anglo-Australian mining giant could face a fine for the “environmental catastrophe”. http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ontinue-plunge

LIE: Baboons can post on the forum.

Clarification Needed: How is the environment affected by my typing?

I clearly marked my ruminations expressed in the post as speculation - the exchange of opinion is a key part of the forum on this site.

IMO

Ignore that post BJ, c ammo is firing blanks .

More importantly will BHP reneg/change their High Divi policy currently paid from debt. Will be an int GM.S/P sub$20 and falling into a black hole(empty pit) atp

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Ignore that post BJ, c ammo is firing blanks .

More importantly will BHP reneg/change their High Divi policy currently paid from debt. Will be an int GM.S/P sub$20 and falling into a black hole(empty pit) atp
    I think BHP must have to reevaluate their commitment to progressively increasing dividends - depending on the scale of remedial costs.

Although on a bigger scale, when BP had the Gulf of Mexico Spill, it was at a time when oil prices were still relatively high so it was financially able to make provisionings when asset prices were relatively high. However I think BP cancelled dividends for some years.

I guess it could be a matter of perceptions.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-11-2015 at 09:55 AM.

IMO

This from the Chairman a short time ago re divi, clear as mud to me.S/P back over $20.

As I said at the London AGM, the dividend is an outcome of appropriate capitalmanagement. Our starting point is to maintain the strength of the balance sheet through thecycle. The balance sheet must always come first.
    As you would expect, and has always been the case, your Board reviews the level ofdividend on a regular basis. It does this against the background of the external environment,our progress on capital and operating productivity and the need to invest to ensure profitablelong-term growth.

In the context of this challenging global economy, we have seen a significant drop in theshare price of resource companies this year, including our own share price. Like you, we aredisappointed in our current share price performance. However, the resources business iscyclical.
    Our job is to concentrate on creating value through the cycles. Our focus, in terms ofbusiness strategy and shareholder value, is always on the long term. We have a uniqueportfolio of large, long-life, low-cost assets, combined with a strong balance sheet. Thisallows us to focus on the fundamentals of our business.
    So despite the volatility, we have a robust and resilient set of businesses led by a world classmanagement team. During the 2015 year, we achieved record production in our Iron Ore,Metallurgical Coal and Petroleum businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    This from the Chairman a short time ago re divi, clear as mud to me.
    Maybe 'clear as mud' not best of terms to use Joshua .....esp when the mud is toxic as

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...with-toxic-mud

And the Chairman 'was close to tears' - yeah, probably because of the share price
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I sold my TME shares and bought some BHP with the proceeds on 14 December (December 15 would have been better). I bought knowing that there is a real possibly that the dividend will be cut; commodity prices will remain low for years to come and there's more oil in the world than you can shake a stick at.

One thing I find really interesting is how much copper is used in renewable energy: see, http://www.businessinsider.com/coppe...-energy-2015-6

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 10 to 15 years.