sharetrader
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENP View Post
    But it is a very expensive stock. Trading at 23 times earnings.

I've wanted to buy RHC for a few years but it has always looked ridiculously expensive.

It funny how the brokerage houses rate it at 18 dollars but the price just keeps on rising, who are they trying to kid?
    Probably the same people trying to convice us all that the fonterra shares were only worth 4.50

Having said that , they do look fully priced (for now)
    Last edited by ratkin; 02-12-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ENP View Post
    But it is a very expensive stock. Trading at 23 times earnings.

I've wanted to buy RHC for a few years but it has always looked ridiculously expensive.
    So ratios have kept you from making heaps then enp

Fundamentals and ratios are all good stuff for deciding what to invest in but at te end of the day sentiment is what rules the market

The likes of ratkin follow the big trends ....prob ratkin has his RHC chart nearby and as long as the price line stays above the major trend lines he still holds .....no matter if perceive to be grossly overvalued or not

And ratkin prob knows wen to bail when he has to as well

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    So ratios have kept you from making heaps then enp
    Fundamentals and ratios are all good stuff for deciding what to invest in but at te end of the day sentiment is what rules the market
    How ignoble of you Winner

Personally, I would suggest that ENPs patience and discipline with RHC is in fact a good sign that, on average, over the long term, he will make wise decisions (or at least 'wiser' relative to the market).

Regards,

Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
    How ignoble of you Winner

Personally, I would suggest that ENPs patience and discipline with RHC is in fact a good sign that, on average, over the long term, he will make wise decisions (or at least 'wiser' relative to the market).

Regards,

Sauce
    That's a bit tough sauce .....was only making a suggestion

Agree patience is a virtue ...even with RHC it looks like ratkin has been patient as has enp .....with different results

I find that sometimes patience leads to conservatism which is not always good. Was just suggesting following sentiment can be a profitable strategy even if the value part of the equation does not make sense

Advanced Member

Have held since around 2005 -2006 (too lazy to check when) shareprice went nowhere for a few years, but eps constantly been growing at around 15% per year. It has only been in the last year or so that the market has really stood up and taken notice.
    Will continue to hold until it starts stagnating (growth wise) or debt becomes too high.

I consider the stock safer now than it was a year or two ago. They took on a fair bit of debt when they entered the UK , it was fairly risky and could of gone badly. However it appears to have gone very well , the NHS cant cope with all the aging brits and its enevitable that lots of the patients will be farmed out to the private hospitals , its the only waay they can keep the waiting lists down.
    They are well bedded in there now , and have a good reputation , debt has been coming down as the profits kick in. The long term future looks very bright , its just that now everyone jumping on the bandwagon,, so the stock no longer cheap.

Incidentally , according to ASB securities the P/E in 2005/2006 was well over 20% but it hasnt stopped the shareprice tripling since then
    Last edited by ratkin; 02-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    That's a bit tough sauce .....was only making a suggestion

I find that sometimes patience leads to conservatism which is not always good. Was just suggesting following sentiment can be a profitable strategy even if the value part of the equation does not make sense
    I was just teasing. After reading your posts for many years I made the presumption that your comment was probably somewhat astray from your own investment philosophy. I.e. I don't picture you as a trend trader - more of a value investor like ENP

But, as usual, your open mindedness and non-dogmatic view shines through.

Regards,

Sauce

Anyone looked into Pulse Health PHG as an alternative?

It's much smaller and instead of building large hospitals in big main cities, it buys clinics and smaller rural hospitals, some in Queensland and Tasmania. Although with a market cap of only $20 million or so, it's traded very rarely. It's fundamentals aren't as good and only made it's first profit in it's most recent financial year but it is interesting to keep track of.

A bit too small for my liking but curious to see if anyone owns some shares that also owns or has looked at Ramsay.

Advanced Member

A little too speculative for myself, dont know much about it , however the numbers hint at plenty of debt and low return on equity .
    Suspect it will come down to quality of the management. The non existant liquidity is a worry , would be no escape route should it turn bad

percy

RHC are trading at $38. Macquarie value them between$39 and $42.Yield is between 1 and 2%.
    PE is over 30.
    Yet a trust I and a trustee of, have been advised by Macquarie to buy RHC.
    Does not make sense to me.Would any of you long term shareholders be buying at $38. ???

Guru

Number alone, no. But What are their growth prospects? Think they are still expanding and acquisition mode? But would need to deliver to justify SP.