sharetrader
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Apartments

And if I'm not mistaken, some apartment owners in a Hobson St block got hit with a 26K+ special body corp levy to fix leaks, not to mention the apartments had to be vacated while the repairs were done. Not good if you need the rental income to pay the mortgage.

Tread carefully, but as most have said, why rush to buy at the moment.

Why would you want to buy apartments in a country with only 4 million population and plenty of land? Unlike other major cities in the world with large population and low supply of land.
    *WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE STOCKMARKET FACTORY*

quote:Originally posted by $imon

Metropolis apartments havent moved in value for 2 years!
    By George, I think you've got it !!

quote:Originally posted by $imon

Metropolis apartments havent moved in value for 2 years! And the body corp is massive, something like $5k for a 1 bed. Total rip-off in my opinion.

If you want a funky apartment with polished jarrah floors that oozes character then you can have my 96m2 2 bed in George Court for $400k. mainly owner occupiers in this sought after building. Currently under rented at $450/wk to a mate, avoiding property mngmt fees, but could easily get $500+

$imon
    I think you need to take account of the prestige and services in the Metropolis building before dismissing it like this. Then, of course, there is Location.
    I have a 1 bed there bringing in $600 a week. Am very happy with its performance.
    As for property managers .... why bother with them.... they still tend to have all the problems we can encounter on our own!

quote:Originally posted by willy_wonker

Why would you want to buy apartments in a country with only 4 million population and plenty of land? Unlike other major cities in the world with large population and low supply of land.
    As an apartment dweller (but not owner) I can clearly define why I live in an apartment and it has nothing to do with either the quantity of land or size of population.

I live in a character building in CBD Auckland. We have oversized furniture which fits perfectly in our two bedroom, two bathroom, 12-13 foot stud apartment. It's austere off-white walls are the perfect backdrop for our budding art collection. 30 metres it is not - probably 80ish, 90 max.

Pros:
    I no longer own a car (yes this is a positive folks!). In my case this saves about $150 per week including depreciation but allowing for additional taxi expenses. And I don't have to wash the fuc%ing thing!
    My commute is the 10 seconds or so it takes to get from my Bedroom to my Office in the room nextdoor.
    Most of my clients are in the Auckland CBD and my home provides my business with a CBD address.
    We pay $400 pw rent which is no better or worse than elsewhere in Central Auckland suburbs
    Walking proximity to everthing I love: Character Buildings, Numerous cafes & restaurants, Galleries, Cinemas, Theatres, Parks, The really big book stores.
    We have a fantastic outlook from every room.
    No Land also means no gardening, no mowing etc.
    Living in the CBD without a car immediately justified grocery shopping online. You have no idea how good this actually is until you find yourself back in a supermarket... Grrrrr. What we spend in extra delivery charges we save in impulse purchases and stress.

Cons:
    Ummm...

Having said all this I wouldn't be buying right now either. I'd wait for the impact of the many apartments still coming online. Howver, if the NZ dollar comes down you will probably see a return of the Asian students at something closer to last years numbers (We're down by about half this year). This would put upwards pressure on rents again.

quote:Originally posted by drum

If I'm not mistaken, a large canvas used to hang on the side of the Metropolis while the leak damage was being fixed up.
    You are mistaken ... I think you are thinking of the Very Appropriately named Nautilus

Thank you for the many comments. Very helpful. Will hold off.

quote:Originally posted by Tim

Thank you for the many comments. Very helpful. Will hold off.
    My advise is not to hold off .... its to look for a value purchase in a good location ... if you also weigh the investment up against other options such as equities.
    I'm sure there are some good apartment deals in the Auckland market at the moment - especially if you take a five year view. The good apartments are unlikely to get significantly cheaper - though the bad ones might.

There sure are some good deals. El cheapo will crash just like the Sydney market. Buy Metropolis. It is undervalued on several levels. If you snooze you lose in this life

Skinny, the yield is just fine for the quality of apartment and size. If you look at the cr@p being built at the moment and the price/m2 i think you will find that around $4k/m2 is pretty reasonable!