sharetrader

Hybrid View

Veteran novice

It seems to me that for whatever reason, the tourism business is hard to make work at public company level. Perhaps it's too capital and labour intensive and the big operators don't have the flexibility to be able to adjust to the rapid cyclical changes.
    Those with long memories will remember Trans Tours of the 60's/70's, a similar company to THL, at least on the transport side in that they operated fleets of buses and campervans. A good performer for quite some time that eventually fell on hard times. NZ listed hotel companies, Rainbows End and the Christchurch gondola company have all found the going difficult. Don't mention Air NZ!
    It's not a sector that I feel comfortable with any more.

Definitely a sector that has its ups and downs. However, a sector that I have either had at least one company in my portfolio, or looking at which one to ditch or acquire. Air NZ actually made me a tidy profit several years ago, and could have again a few times, but talk about a rollercoaster. THL has always been of interest, but I've never held. Probably not quite the right time yet, but maybe before too long......

Advanced Member

Problem is that the campervan hirers are fat yanks , brits or europeans. They been hit by probable recession , poor exchange rates petrol price hikes etc
    Combine this with other companies offering rent a wreck type deals and you end up with half the fleet sitting idle but losing value.

No doubt they will have a good year when the worlsd cup comes around but that still a long way off