sharetrader
Page 248 of 248 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 3720
  1. #3706
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    Quite possible I picked up the wrong end of the stick. I don't follow this one closely but from my observations at issue for quite some time now has been their inability to sell down used campervans at acceptable prices. Quite why they would think they are now going to do this by just offering moderate discounts at the beginning of a global recession I am not sure ?
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  2. #3707
    Go The Warriors "This Year!"
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Quite possible I picked up the wrong end of the stick. I don't follow this one closely but from my observations at issue for quite some time now has been their inability to sell down used campervans at acceptable prices. Quite why they would think they are now going to do this by just offering moderate discounts at the beginning of a global recession I am not sure ?
    Yeah do agree with you on that!

    Also in the article Grant says their price's are aimed at the international visitor market in 'normal'times for the want of a better phrase..not at locals... So are priced as such..
    Does this mean that locals should always ring up and as for the local rates once the international tourism market returns to some degree of normal? As their prices aren't aimed at us?

  3. #3708
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Yeah do agree with you on that!

    Also in the article Grant says their price's are aimed at the international visitor market in 'normal'times for the want of a better phrase..not at locals... So are priced as such..
    Does this mean that locals should always ring up and as for the local rates once the international tourism market returns to some degree of normal? As their prices aren't aimed at us?
    I don't think many prices are aimed at the local and that's half the problem. Standard price for a quick spin on the shotover jet is $159 for example. Kiwi tourism operators need to understand that Kiwi's spend $Kiwi (and don't have the luxury of converting their hard earned from $US, Euro or U.K. Pounds first).
    If they can adjust their pricing accordingly they'll find Kiwi's are prepared to support them, if not...
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  4. #3709
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Last week, pre budget I predicted mid 1.70s for this week. I don't think it will reach quite those heights, but I do believe the 1.44 is undervalued at present.

    I was expecting a bigger tourism announcement. However, as mentioned before there will be more announcements with the tourism portfolio over the coming weeks. With Europe already having their first "travel bubble", talk should start to intensify. I think the market reacted to lack of real detail in the $400M tourism assistance. Mr Kelvin Davis seems to be in quite some trouble. This also proves to be a problem for Labour given he is their deputy leader.

    Thanks for sharing that article beagle. I too think he is being very optimistic, but I guess would rather hear positivism from the CEO than doom and gloom. Perhaps some realism would be good too though..

  5. #3710
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bolivia.
    Posts
    1,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I don't think many prices are aimed at the local and that's half the problem. Standard price for a quick spin on the shotover jet is $159 for example. Kiwi tourism operators need to understand that Kiwi's spend $Kiwi (and don't have the luxury of converting their hard earned from $US, Euro or U.K. Pounds first).
    If they can adjust their pricing accordingly they'll find Kiwi's are prepared to support them, if not...
    There was a tourism operator chief on TV the other day, stating that NZer's spend $X billion on tourism overseas (think $6.5b) and New Zealand is no more expensive that overseas countries. I'd beg to differ on that.....anyone who has been to any of the tourist hotspots would likely see this - activities are expensive.

    As an aside, was in Queenstown yesterday. Was really surprised how many people were around - it was a cracker day but quite busy considering. Although most of them looked to be milling around, enjoying the sun, maybe having a coffee - not many in the shops and a lot of restaurants etc closed.

  6. #3711
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Surge in sales of RVs in the USA.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-profitability

  7. #3712
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kerikeri
    Posts
    1,396

    Default

    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...=6157367616001

    Other than looking like a film star, this guy was worth listening to.
    Maybe there is some hope for our tourism industry ? PROVIDED Australia can get to a similar COVID status to NZ.

  8. #3713
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Lots more talk over the last 24 hours about the trans Tasman bubble. Australia even wanting Fiji to be included.

    Should be an interesting couple of weeks. Australia kids go to school soon, a return to normal for most. More pressure will be applied to both governments to formalise I plan for travel.

  9. #3714
    always learning ... BlackPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keenkiwiflyer View Post
    Lots more talk over the last 24 hours about the trans Tasman bubble. Australia even wanting Fiji to be included.

    Should be an interesting couple of weeks. Australia kids go to school soon, a return to normal for most. More pressure will be applied to both governments to formalise I plan for travel.
    Sure - but whatever it is - don't forget that the Americas (US, Mexico, South America) as well as East Europe / Near East / and Middle and north Asia (Russia, India) currently developing into the new Corona hot spots with more infected people than ever - and no interest or ability of the relevant governments to do something about it.

    This means even if we are optimistic and assume that at some stage s well e.g. Taiwan and some other sensibly governed countries might be part of our travel bubble, and even if we are able to add China, we are still talking only something like 30 to 40% % of what we had before in numbers. Might help some of our tourism operators to survive, but it will take a long time until they are back to previous profits (which in THL's case have been unsustainable anyway - from memory they used to pay their dividends even in the best of times out of their capital).
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

  10. #3715
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    I think a fair percentage of Kiwi's are going to perceive that a rental motorhome is possibly a safer option than using a rental car and a wide variety of motels as one travels around the country. How many will be prepared to pay anything like the (up to $500 a day peak rate), next summer is anyone's guess but I think heavy discounting will be the norm for the foreseeable future. If they can get the cost of a decent 4-6 berth campervan down to $250 - $300 per day I think that's something Kiwi's and Australian's will embrace. Whether that sort of pricing and reduced demand is sufficient for THL to have a viable business model, frankly I wouldn't have a clue but I think we are several years away from international tourism demand returning to anything like 2019 level's, if in fact that ever happens.
    Last edited by Beagle; 20-05-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  11. #3716
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    7,132

    Default

    Fair comment, Beagle, but what are all these stray apostrophes doing in your usually cogent composition?


  12. #3717
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Some positive North American RV sentiment research post COVID published by Thor Industries, a top end RV manufacturer

    https://ir.thorindustries.com/invest...T/default.aspx

    While they have a vested interest, a lift in sentiment is positive for THL’s US fleet resales and domestic rental demand for the coming summer season.

  13. #3718
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Tourism New Zealand infomercial for THL's campavans. 29-69 bucks a day. https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-...their-backyard

  14. #3719
    Go The Warriors "This Year!"
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    Tourism New Zealand infomercial for THL's campavans. 29-69 bucks a day. https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-...their-backyard
    Bloody good deal... No one way fees.. Only $10 p/d for nil insurance liability... Includes 2 long weekends and school holidays..
    Good to see them doing something to try to stimulate the market.. May pick up a few long term customers out if it...
    Even take your dog!!

  15. #3720
    ShareTrader Legend Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    16,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Bloody good deal... No one way fees.. Only $10 p/d for nil insurance liability... Includes 2 long weekends and school holidays..
    Good to see them doing something to try to stimulate the market.. May pick up a few long term customers out if it...
    Even take your dog!!
    Finally, (albeit with a hefty $100 cleaning fee)...that particular impediment for animal lovers is removed, ironically for us, not that long after we lost our last 2 to old age issues last year. Mrs B and I have often remarked how we would love to have taken a campervan trip and brought our dogs along with us.

    For me, this sort of activity is something to be enjoyed in summer or early autumn. If they do a decent special this summer for Kiwi's I'd be interested.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •